• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bronzo watch thread

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I've never actually searched nor found anything on peek as a patina remover. Primarily because PEEK coincidentally is also what the material used on the carbotech models is called (Polyether Ether Ketone). :)

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
I've never actually searched nor found anything on peek as a patina remover. Primarily because PEEK coincidentally is also what the material used on the carbotech models is called (Polyether Ether Ketone). :)

I know you didn't research PEEK,I did
I researched it & was confident from testimonies that it would do the job needed...polish my bronzo.....& that's exactly what it did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I know you didn't research PEEK,I did
I researched it & was confident from testimonies that it would do the job needed...polish my bronzo.....& that's exactly what it did

Yes, I was stating my experience. :D

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
So what did you conclude & have you tried any other methods that haven't been mentioned?

Only used the aforementioned lemon juice in equal part of water method which was effective in my opinion.

xaneda

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/15
A sharpie is a popular brand of permanent marker. Wax sealant I presume is some material you apply over the ink to protect it from being smudged/removed.

A black sharpie is a permanent black felt tip pen,I read in another forum of a guy filling in the black markers
The wax sealant is basically used to keep the bronze material from forming any patina.
So if you polish it like I did the sealant stops the grease from your fingers starting the patina process,say when you manually wind it via the stem your fingers come into contact with the crown guard & will wipe the metal polish off ,it will lose its brightness quickly,
TBH I'm yet to experiment with the sealants yet,they come in sprays & wax that you apply with a microfibre cloth.As soon as I find a suitable one then I will post my results here

Thank you for the knowledge guys!

Appreciate it!

Hope u can find a suitable one soon and post ur results. @Sparky28

Follow the link,that's a sharpie.....you can get them in all thickness tips

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharpie-Fi...&qid=1493743671&sr=8-2&keywords=black+sharpie

Many thanks for the link!

koko105

12/1/15
I really want to thank everyone how is sharing his readings and experiments with others interested in the same topic

Some of us don't love the patina effect and love his bronze watch shining and the rest love the patina effect

So the effective ways as or friends stated and according to their experiments and these method didn't remove the black markers on the bezel as follows

1 - don't use acetone
2- Peek will remove the patina and should be applied with a microfiber cloth or other cloth
3 - soak it in lemon & water solvent (lemon & water quantities should be equal)
4 - soak in tomato juice

Guys please correct me if I am wrong

Please post photos for you experiments before & after cleaning your watches or before & after trying a specific method to apply patina on a bronze watch

Waiting for it guys [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

koko105

12/1/15
A black sharpie is a permanent black felt tip pen,I read in another forum of a guy filling in the black markers
The wax sealant is basically used to keep the bronze material from forming any patina.
So if you polish it like I did the sealant stops the grease from your fingers starting the patina process,say when you manually wind it via the stem your fingers come into contact with the crown guard & will wipe the metal polish off ,it will lose its brightness quickly,
TBH I'm yet to experiment with the sealants yet,they come in sprays & wax that you apply with a microfibre cloth.As soon as I find a suitable one then I will post my results here

Waiting for result of your experiment please share it with us

Take care body

voxx

15/2/16
Acetone is indeed a form of nail polish remover albeit a little weaker and with some girly smelling stuff added.
I remember my grandad, who used to work in the aircraft industry, would bring home little pieces of plexiglass used in jet windshields.
He would make a sort of superglue by grinding the plexi into powder and melting it with acetone. When the acetone would evaporate the glue was super strong..
In the tutorials section there is a thread about Bronzo patina and the various methods one can use to get a patina but as I stated above the one method that looks the most natural is the one I discovered with chlorine powder and water .
In the case of the 671 I also think it looks better when polished or only slightly patina-ed but to me the 382 with the green dial just begs to be darker bronze. Part of the fun of the Bronzo is trying all these crazy things and being able to bring back it's original colour.To me the Bronzo's are the best looking Pams and only the bronze U-Boat Chimera is as nice.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
Acetone is indeed a form of nail polish remover albeit a little weaker and with some girly smelling stuff added.
I remember my grandad, who used to work in the aircraft industry, would bring home little pieces of plexiglass used in jet windshields.
He would make a sort of superglue by grinding the plexi into powder and melting it with acetone. When the acetone would evaporate the glue was super strong..
In the tutorials section there is a thread about Bronzo patina and the various methods one can use to get a patina but as I stated above the one method that looks the most natural is the one I discovered with chlorine powder and water .
In the case of the 671 I also think it looks better when polished or only slightly patina-ed but to me the 382 with the green dial just begs to be darker bronze. Part of the fun of the Bronzo is trying all these crazy things and being able to bring back it's original colour.To me the Bronzo's are the best looking Pams and only the bronze U-Boat Chimera is as nice.

Totally agree fella,couldn't have said it better myself

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
I never said submerge it in acetone! Put a little on a cotton bud and apply if there are any stubborn stains that lemon juice and ketchup doesn't remove, trying not to remove the markers. Ketchup is way better than lemon juice at resetting but don't leave it longer than 4-5 mins. Whatever method you use, wash it thoroughly with warm soapy water for a couple of minutes making sure you get anything that's managed to get up under the bezel.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
Only used the aforementioned lemon juice in equal part of water method which was effective in my opinion.

Do you have to submerge the watch in the solution or do you just rub it in?
I read lemon juice & bicarb mixed into a paste is very effective

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
I never said submerge it in acetone! Put a little on a cotton bud and apply if there are any stubborn stains that lemon juice and ketchup doesn't remove, trying not to remove the markers. Ketchup is way better than lemon juice at resetting but don't leave it longer than 4-5 mins. Whatever method you use, wash it thoroughly with warm soapy water for a couple of minutes making sure you get anything that's managed to get up under the bezel.

That's how I would've used it too,use a cotton bud & if that started to take the markets off then stop but I don't think it would've done that myself.

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
Do you have to submerge the watch in the solution or do you just rub it in?
I read lemon juice & bicarb mixed into a paste is very effective

I submerged in lemon juice. Just make sure your case back is tightened. Grease your seals, even better.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
I submerged in lemon juice. Just make sure your case back is tightened. Grease your seals, even better.

Is there any grease in particular you would recommend using please?

koko105

12/1/15
Any update sparky for your Pam after cleaning it
Does the patina becomes to build up or the watch still shinny

Post some photos my friend

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
Any update sparky for your Pam after cleaning it
Does the patina becomes to build up or the watch still shinny

Post some photos my friend

I haven't sealed it yet so the metal is open to the elements.Ive never worn it outside yet or got it wet/submersed it.
Both processes would speed up the patina growth I would imagine.
I have noticed the slight dulling of the shine & that's only 2-3 days after I initially removed the patina & polished it.Im guessing this is down to the grease or contaminants off my fingers.So I'm still on the hunt for some sealing wax,I've never had chance to totally research it properly but I'm hoping to have something ordered for the weekend.

85b21af6903a4e9a214f2ea06309ac89.jpg

88cde40a4e57bb9335f340c050884bbd.jpg

b4fabf118c4e083f159d2f99face7310.jpg

da7c5a0524f07fa10f613e50c4008d9b.jpg

Edit:I've just purchased some sealing wax that will be delivered before the weekend.
I will "Peek" the watch over the weekend then seal with the wax.
I will post the pictures hopefully showing how the wax alters the shine/gloss of the watch plus how easy it is applied to the watch........watch this space

Reactions: schiee