• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bronzo watch thread

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
Just use tomato sauce (ketchup). Soak for up to five minutes then rinse. You can use lemon juice too but the sauce works better. For stubborn marks, use acetone but it will remove the black bezel marks so be careful. Or you can just reapply the black.

Reactions: lceniza

voxx

15/2/16
I also used PEEK to clean my watch ..I tried the lemon juice and found it gave my watch a very pinkish tint. The Peek cream made it look more bronze in color.

Patina: I tried a few different things ...the boiled egg, LOS ( very brutal ...watch turns dark brown almost immediately) and natural by swimming in the ocean and pools.
The results I liked the most was something never mentioned anywhere .. I made a mixture of swimming pool chlorine and water and let the watch sit in it for a few hours and removed it when the watched turned a nice almost brown bronze color. I didn't mess with it at all after that and after wearing for a few months, some of the darker parts polished off with normal wear and left other parts still dark. You can get the blueish patina with vinegar in water and salt.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
I also used PEEK to clean my watch ..I tried the lemon juice and found it gave my watch a very pinkish tint. The Peek cream made it look more bronze in color.

Patina: I tried a few different things ...the boiled egg, LOS ( very brutal ...watch turns dark brown almost immediately) and natural by swimming in the ocean and pools.
The results I liked the most was something never mentioned anywhere .. I made a mixture of swimming pool chlorine and water and let the watch sit in it for a few hours and removed it when the watched turned a nice almost brown bronze color. I didn't mess with it at all after that and after wearing for a few months, some of the darker parts polished off with normal wear and left other parts still dark. You can get the blueish patina with vinegar in water and salt.

Thanks for the info
I'm definitely interested in trying to achieve a blue patina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koko105

12/1/15
Just use tomato sauce (ketchup). Soak for up to five minutes then rinse. You can use lemon juice too but the sauce works better. For stubborn marks, use acetone but it will remove the black bezel marks so be careful. Or you can just reapply the black.

Can you share with us how can we apply the black marks on the bezel if was removed

markerstone

Renowned Member
17/8/16
dccdbf6ba0ff18e2819b6d6d78858c80.jpg
711c63ad5b9edad1a589686e133ce12f.jpg
99ee005d6bfb7c3838bc662f4090acfb.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
Can you share with us how can we apply the black marks on the bezel if was removed

Peek doesn't remove the black markers on the bezel,if it does then you could always reapply with a black sharpie then seal with a wax sealant

xaneda

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/15
Peek doesn't remove the black markers on the bezel,if it does then you could always reapply with a black sharpie then seal with a wax sealant

Hi Sparky,

Pardon me, but wad is a black sharpie and wax sealant?

Thank you!

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Hi Sparky,

Thank you!

A sharpie is a popular brand of permanent marker. Wax sealant I presume is some material you apply over the ink to protect it from being smudged/removed.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
Hi Sparky,

Thank you!

A black sharpie is a permanent black felt tip pen,I read in another forum of a guy filling in the black markers
The wax sealant is basically used to keep the bronze material from forming any patina.
So if you polish it like I did the sealant stops the grease from your fingers starting the patina process,say when you manually wind it via the stem your fingers come into contact with the crown guard & will wipe the metal polish off ,it will lose its brightness quickly,
TBH I'm yet to experiment with the sealants yet,they come in sprays & wax that you apply with a microfibre cloth.As soon as I find a suitable one then I will post my results here

voxx

15/2/16
I wouldn't use acetone on a watch ...that is nasty stuff. It's a very strong solvent that will remove paint and even melt plexi-glass plastic.
Who knows what it could do to rubber seals and watch crystals and it will most certainly remove the black markers.
YMMV.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
I wouldn't use acetone on a watch ...that is nasty stuff. It's a very strong solvent that will remove paint and even melt plexi-glass plastic.
Who knows what it could do to rubber seals and watch crystals and it will most certainly remove the black markers.
YMMV.

I've never used it myself,
A member on another forum mentioned it was how he did it to his Rolex.

You shouldn't have a problem with that metal polish,it never touched my bezel,
You will be fine[emoji2]

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
YMMV.

It strips nail polish so I changed my mind after considering using it to remove patina on the bronzo.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
It strips nail polish so I changed my mind after considering using it to remove patina on the bronzo.

It was never considered to remove patina,
It was suggested to fill in the black markers when one of the members was worried about peek removing it BUT I've already used the polish twice & it never touched the markers.

I get the impression he's abit of a worrier,which I can totally understand cos I love my watches with a passion & id be devastated if I damaged the metal,

It won't damage it,get it polished & enjoy these beauty pams [emoji2]

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
It was never considered to remove patina,
It was suggested to fill in the black markers when one of the members was worried about peek removing it BUT I've already used the polish twice & it never touched the markers.

I get the impression he's abit of a worrier,which I can totally understand cos I love my watches with a passion & id be devastated if I damaged the metal,

It won't damage it,get it polished & enjoy these beauty pams [emoji2]

My comment was from a result I got on the internet whilst researching on how to reset the patina on the Bronzo. I also read that leaving whatever solution you're using to remove the patina for too long or in too strong a concentration may result in what is called bronze disease, which manifests itself as pitting on the bronze material. Another reason why I did not consider ketchup to clean, because of a possibility for it to remain in tight spaces, and exposing the bronze for longer than what is necessary.

Sparky28

Renowned Member
6/2/16
Totally agree,I wouldn't want the tomato sauce method.
That's why I used "peek" as it doesn't aggressively attack the surface plus the way it's applied to the watch is a lot more user friendly.
It's not left on the metal for any length of time plus instant results can be seen.I too researched methods for "polishing" the metal.
I've got polishing wheels which I've used successfully on steel & titanium but never bronze which was another reason to use what I did,My results can be seen by the pics