• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} 5218-207/A - The ugly duckling [pics heavy]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Luminor Daylight Slytech Panerai 5218-207/A
the ugly duckling

There are a couple of projects I never showed. These are projects I've been doing for myself only in the spare time between a build and another. Each of them has its flaws, some more noticeable some less, but in the end I like them as they are.
The first "unfinished" project is the 207/A.

While I was building my 205/A last year I went through reshaping several cases before I was happy with the result. This is one of the cases I discarded, an H factory case set I'd say.
Problem is the reshaping went too far and one of the lugs got mis-shaped beyond repair. It was such a pity because with the exception of that lug, I liked the case so much. So I decided to try and repair it by adding the metal that was missing with soldering.

The result is good and bad at the same time :)
A lot of filing and sanding and polishing only on that small portion of the case allowed a nice shape to come out. On the other hand the metal used for soldering is not steel and shines differently no matter how much you polish the case. Pity.

Anyway, I had this case laying around my drawer and couldn't stand to throw it away so I thought "well let's use it for a budget 207/A" and here it is :)

DSN provided dial, hands, crown+tube and CG.
I flattened and polished the canon pin, radially brushed the CG pin, polished the crown.

A short note about the dial, from the latest batch of DSN dials. The black numerals are nicely raised with an almost flat top, lume dots look to be the right size to me. Inscriptions are a little too big but very crisp and with a nice serif font.

As a caseback I temporarily used a 390 CB I had in my drawer, but I will replace it with a Jakob as soon as I find one for the right price. It's a budget build after all :whistle:

Finally the strap choice: this is a bakeka "nero anfibio", a lightly distressed greish/bluish/black with cream stitching nicely matching the lume on dial and hands. Very nice and comfortable, thanks Alfio :)

More pics:

Once again that's all for now, but more projects are on the way. See you soon!

Last edited:

bangsters

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/17
Looks good. Wish I got some skills like yours.

Sent from my HTC 10

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Although i have no knowlage about pams i think the watch looks very good.

I am curious to how you managed to add steel to the lug ? Tig welding ?

I really appreciate the effort put in shaping and fixing the lug. [emoji106] for that.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Juraj_G

Renowned Member
24/9/16
Kilo, there are two things amazing about your build threads - the result and your attitude. Its always a pleasure to read them and wait for another one! Thumbs up!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks gents :)

Although i have no knowlage about pams i think the watch looks very good.

I am curious to how you managed to add steel to the lug ? Tig welding ?

I really appreciate the effort put in shaping and fixing the lug. [emoji106] for that.

No tig welding. I have simple nonprofessional equipment at home.
To solder I use a soldering lamp and wire.
The wire is made of soft metals that melt at low temperature.
Of course they are quite different from stainless steel both in behaviour and appearance. I just added some solder on top of the lugs then shaped it with a file.
After a lot of work this is the best I could achieve

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Thanks gents :)

No tig welding. I have simple nonprofessional equipment at home.
To solder I use a soldering lamp and wire.
The wire is made of soft metals that melt at low temperature.
Of course they are quite different from stainless steel both in behaviour and appearance. I just added some solder on top of the lugs then shaped it with a file.
After a lot of work this is the best I could achieve

flhf513xv
I can't see the last pic. Again [emoji122] for the effort.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
And those are your UNFINISHED(?) builds ??
Come on , kilo
You are incredible
Congrats
ALE