• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Alternative to the 111 for a newbie?

JDelaney

Looking Around
14/2/17
First of all, sorry if this sounds like the typical idiot-newcomer's post. I think I have done my research unlike others, but I am seriously confused and I was refraining from doing such a post for a while now, but I am getting nowhere with my order.

So, I was going to buy my first PAM rep, the classic 111 for a newbie, which I really like anyway. But I started researching the forum, and this false V4s, mixtures of V3 and V4 parts situation that is going on with the 111 has gotten to my head. I mean I understand the V3 was already very good, but you still do not know what you are getting at the end + there is the possiblity of a real V4, or V5 coming at some point.

My question is is there another superrep with similar design to 111 that might be a better option to start with while this 111 situation clears out?

I know of ALE's guide, and I have taken my time finding out the superreps. I was going to go for the 104, but the TD said it is not a better option over the 111. Some of the other model do not seem to be available with the TDs I have chosen, and at that point my research and all the PAM models have made me more confused than before I started reading seriously.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Even with these "issues", the 111 is still a great watch. As long as you get one with in incaboc, its about as good as youll get without modding.

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
My feeling is just get the v4... no one will know anything about the tiny differences. You did your research and discovered what this game is about... a step forward, a step back and maybe a couple steps to the side. Remember this should be about the fun and 99.9 percent of people on the street have never heard of Panerai. Pretty much anything from noob is going to be a solid watch. Just buy and enjoy and pat yourself on the back for saving a few thousand bucks.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
on the 111 just watch for shitty engravings on the movement.

super rep alternatives to the 111 are 005 HF v2, 000 HF, 390 HF or KW/V6F.

Reactions: scottsvalley

Fin

20/7/16
I did the same debating und ultimately held off on one for a few months. Finally gave in and couldn't be happier. Once you get the watch in hand you'll forget about the small bits that aren't 100%.

These are fantastic pieces and I can't imagine someone being disappointed.

EBE

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/10
Missouri
What about the 005? H fac makes a pretty decent one don't they?

nizman16

Known Member
5/5/16
Ive got a pam005, but after purchasing it i think i prefer a sandwich dial instead, depends on what you like more

Sent from the RWI mobile app

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Mate Reps keep changing with version this and version that so you will never be secure that a better (of worse) version won't come out the day after you order.

So just bite the bullet and order what ever is the best available at the time and the 111's are nice at the moment, maybe not perfect but that's what Reps are.

Here's my Version 4/3/whatever Noob 111 recently aquired, I love it.

QEfUsdG.jpg

PtuKfR1.jpg

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Mate Reps keep changing with version this and version that so you will never be secure that a better (of worse) version won't come out the day after you order.

So just bite the bullet and order what ever is the best available at the time and the 111's are nice at the moment, maybe not perfect but that's what Reps are.

Here's my Version 4/3/whatever Noob 111 recently aquired, I love it.

QEfUsdG.jpg

PtuKfR1.jpg

I couldn't have said it better myself. :) New reps just appear out of nowhere, without even some hint from the dealers or the factories, so holding off on a purchase on the chance that something new will be released will end up on you never being able to buy anything. The PAM111 V4 is a real situation and it is what it is, but really, it is nitpicking at this point since even the V2 was "good enough" at the time, the factory just kept on improving. We are just miffed at the current state of the PAM111 that the V4 was announced, released yet never got to the point where all the watches coming out were true V4s.

Order the PAM111 now if that's the model that you want. Don't settle for any other watch if you don't really fancy them. Can't say super rep level yet but the latest releases like the PAM441/PAM312 with the gen-like balance wheel location @ 7 from VSF, PAM1312/1359 from ZF/KW with the A7750 movement modified to look like the P.9010 with balance wheel @11 and the VSF PAM213 with the working Rattrapante function are very good releases.

Reactions: scottsvalley

JDelaney

Looking Around
14/2/17
Thank you for the warm welcome and great input, guys! I really appreciate it!

Yeah, I understand that there would always be flaws and new versions and whatnot. What I think I cannot grasp is whether the other reps that have the super rep status are better than the 111 at the moment? Because the 111 is so popular and there are so many threads about it, but not that much about the others.

I was going to order the 104, but the TD said the 111 is better, even though it is cheaper on his site. This really made me question my research.

So would anyone consider the 104, 000, 005 or 390 better than 111 or are we just not nitpicking them so much?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I would consider any of the aforementioned reps. In fact I've had the 390, I still have the 000 and 005 and I have the 299 which is similar in design to the 104. yeah, I know I have a PAM problem. :lol:

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
It also depends on what particular versions are available right now, I wanted a 000 but my TD told me that there were no high quality versions available with only an average level offering available but the Noob 111 V4 was a good version and was available so I went that path.

I have twice ordered a 000 and both times either it wasn't available at all or it was a low quality version.

Believe me whatever you may think, you will be ordering more down the track no matter which watch you choose now.

Pacho

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/10/16
It also depends on what particular versions are available right now, I wanted a 000 but my TD told me that there were no high quality versions available with only an average level offering available but the Noob 111 V4 was a good version and was available so I went that path.

I have twice ordered a 000 and both times either it wasn't available at all or it was a low quality version.

Believe me whatever you may think, you will be ordering more down the track no matter which watch you choose now.

I am in the same boat with finding a proper version of what I want. It is like they are scarse these days. :D

Daddyoftoo

Known Member
6/2/15
Like most brands, there will be versions that are close to gen and others that are so outragously far away, it actually hurts to look at them but funnily, one of mine that has always been given the most compliments is one from Nembo over on RG, which I still love.
It was great value, well build and reliable and as for any flaws, I simply couldn't care less.
As many have already stated, all reps will have flaws (yes even the super reps) and nobody else cares.
Most will only have heard of Roleys and a few others, so Pams are a great way to go.
The first Pam rep I ever bought (and still own) is my KW 511 RG, which is stunning. Even after three years of constant rotation, the plating still holds up and apart from the obvious weight difference, is close enough for me.

The 111 is a go to for many and I am sure whichever version and model you choose in the end, you will be very happy.

Daddyoftoo

Known Member
6/2/15
Like most brands, there will be versions that are close to gen and others that are so outragously far away, it actually hurts to look at them but funnily, one of mine that has always been given the most compliments is one from Nembo over on RG, which I still love.
It was great value, well build and reliable and as for any flaws, I simply couldn't care less.
As many have already stated, all reps will have flaws (yes even the super reps) and nobody else cares.
Most will only have heard of Roleys and a few others, so Pams are a great way to go.
The first Pam rep I ever bought (and still own) is my KW 511 RG, which is stunning. Even after three years of constant rotation, the plating still holds up and apart from the obvious weight difference, is close enough for me.

The 111 is a go to for many and I am sure whichever version and model you choose in the end, you will be very happy.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Get the Noob v3.5 or 4 or whatever it is and enjoy it! I've got a version 3 without the y incabloc and personally I don't care as I don't know a single person who would know what an incabloc us let alone if it's correct. I've considered having a Swiss incabloc installed, but don't see any point. Buy it, wear it and enjoy it. They are well built statement pieces.

JDelaney

Looking Around
14/2/17
Now I saw the new 312 VSF. Even more torn, how do you handle that PAM-mania :D