• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} Vintage 3646 Type C

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Originally posted September 24, 2016

Once again here I present a vintage 3646 I built. It's funny how such simple case design can hide so many details to master, each time I build one I think I learn something new.

This watch features one of Mark_midland's amazing three piece dials with resin fill. The base plate is anodized instead of painted, and instead of using the standard plexi insert Mark fills number and indices with an incredibly clear resin. On top of that, in this dial the lume application shows an attention to the minimum detail that's second to none.
The indices show different level of deterioration in this dial with the 3 being a lighter yellow than 12 and 6 and the 9 being almost orange. Unfortunately I could not take a good pic of it but I think by the end of this thread you will have seen what I mean ;)

One small thing I did and I am especially happy with in this build is how I finally managed to craze the plexi all around its edge. That's something I tried to achieve a few times with some ups and downs, but this time it came out just how I wanted it :)

Also I think the type C shape did not come out that bad. I have to say NW case set helped a lot to achieve such particular shape with the cushion corners sitting lower than the center of midcase.

Finally, I'm refining the aging of the caseback. After looking at 26,728 gen reference pics I noticed that most of the case backs are very worn and full of scratches like they have not been restored or owners have taken much less care of them. I think trying to replicate this is a good way to make each closed CB a little unique.

Parts used for this build:

- Nightwatch 3646 case reshaped, drilled, soldered, killed and revived
- Mark's stunning three piece dial
- Sternkreuz N plexi (HW would have been more correct for type C, but imho this one looked better)
- NW/River tall tube hands
- Asian 6497

Here a few more pics:

As usual any comment or advice is welcome. Hope you enjoyed the pics :)

Last edited:

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Great build Kilo - once again!

And your photography skills are getting better and better :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks kilo for sharing this awesome build
I think this is the nicest part of this hobby and you are one of the better examples
The pics ... OMG ! THE PICS !!!

Thanks again
ALE

lmmo

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Another amazing build!

Thank you [MENTION=64001]kilowattore[/MENTION]

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
What a beautiful watch. I really do not know how Mark achieves such lume application, as it seems to involve different types of lume, scoring on the resin from the back, and then even micro-applied lacquers.
Lovely aged hands, weathered plexi, and scuffed case back.
Really looks like somebody crawled through the mud and sat in foxholes for 5 years with this on everyday.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thank you guys for the kind words :)

What a beautiful watch. I really do not know how Mark achieves such lume application, as it seems to involve different types of lume, scoring on the resin from the back, and then even micro-applied lacquers. ...

I don't know either, but he's crazy and very talented. It was the first time I saw a dial with such effect (apart from the gens).

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Will keep my eyes on the sales threads waiting for this gem. What an effort! Thanks for posting this beautiful pictures.

renesis8

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/12
Awesome! I love the dial work! And the strap completes the build. Great Stuff! Always looking forward to the next and the next and the next one ...

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Will keep my eyes on the sales threads waiting for this gem. What an effort! Thanks for posting this beautiful pictures.

It will end up there sooner or later eventually. I just can't keep them all :)

Awesome! I love the dial work! And the strap completes the build. Great Stuff! Always looking forward to the next and the next and the next one ...

Yeah, me too. :lol:

tomtom2

22/3/16
what have you done to solve the 'waterproof' problem on Gordon's caseset! i have mine still in parts, because the crystal and the caseback is not waterproof at all, looking for a system to make it fairly waterproof, because i dont want to ruin my 616 Cortebert![emoji12]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
what have you done to solve the 'waterproof' problem on Gordon's caseset! i have mine still in parts, because the crystal and the caseback is not waterproof at all, looking for a system to make it fairly waterproof, because i dont want to ruin my 616 Cortebert![emoji12]

Err.. nothing. I don't swim with my builds :D

I guess using o-rings on bezel and CB does help. But with a pressure fit plexiglass and a screw-in silix crown I would never trust going into water with them.

tomtom2

22/3/16
neither me, although it's a diver watch in original! but to protect it from moisture, i think it needs a bit waterprotection![emoji1303][emoji41][emoji41]