• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MM 6152/1 Destro

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
MARINA MILITARE 6152/1 Destro

I have always been a little scared by 6152/1 builds. They look easy at first sight, but if you check closely they're not.
There's a number of tiny details that you need to get right before you can call your build done, and sometimes there is very little room for mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, a Jackson case is already a great base. You can just polish away the brushed finish, install a new plexi or even use the stock one, change the caseback, dial and hands and you're done. You will already have a good looking build with a reasonable investment of time and money.
But you know how these things go... I wanted more, and even more I will be wanting next time :)

Since I used an old school fiddy case for this build I encountered a few unexpected issues which made fitting parts challenging and maybe that's why at a certain point the build seemed to take up a life of its own and I ended up with a completely different watch than what I meant initially.
Funny thing is once I finished I went through the pics in my books and realized I was not that far from a gen :)

Here's what went into the build:

- Old school fiddy case set which was aged, scuffed, reshaped and hand polished to a smooth soft shine
- Lugs drilled to accept stainless steel compression fit lug bars
- Crown tube hole re-drilled and Nightwatch brass tube + spring loaded gen-spec crown installed. Crown is a work of art :)
- Aged NW t25 plexi installed
- Athaya crown guard aged/scuffed by me, lever tip reshaped for better look.
- Unknown maker MM 37mm dial with awesome texture and great resin filled indices
- Athaya tall tube wide double pencil hands aged by me, custom faux CP mod by me as well.
- Modified movement holder as standard jackson holder did not fit properly this case-set.
- Brand new a6497-1 with the seconds hand trimmed in the proper way.
- Special engraved "X flottiglia M.A.S. - a Fabio Castellani" with Mario Arillo signature. That's an awesome caseback I got in a m2m deal. Call me naive or something, but the gesture of Arillo having the CB engraved this way before giving it to its new owner is something that always fascinated me and atm I could care less about the misspelling in the word "flottiglia" or the fact this CB is incorrect for this watch.
- Finally one of my personal favourite strap: Bakeka vintage leather in 26/26 with flat GPF buckle. A few months ago I almost sold it but luckily I din't as I would have sorely missed it. This is a strap I won't ever part with.

More pics:

As usual any comment, good or bad, is welcome. Hope you enjoy the pics :)

Last edited:

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
phew.....another masterpiece of the k-fac...

again an awesome build ... You get me more and more in the vintage PAMs with builds like these!

thanks for sharing and inspiring!

paulvillo

Renowned Member
6/6/13
I'll say something as soon as I find my jaw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys :)
[MENTION=116869]erick510[/MENTION]
CG is an Athaya one. I shortened and reshaped the lever tip, sanded the inner part where it touches the CG body for it to sit closer to the case, added some aging and rebrushed the whole CG.

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
Beautiful! Wheres the caseback pics?

Nvm. I see it.

This is such a bad ass build. True art!

Abba Zabba Zoo

13/12/12
Stunning! As usual 1st-class photography. Pleasure to look at! [emoji1417][emoji1417][emoji1417]

lmmo

Renowned Member
2/2/15
It looks amazing. Great work [MENTION=64001]kilowattore[/MENTION].

I'm doing my first steps to build a 6154 (Molnija 3601 already arrived, now deciding between an Athaya or River case), and your builds are an inspiration.

I have to search your threads for more information on the aging process. :)

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
It looks amazing. Great work [MENTION=64001]kilowattore[/MENTION].

I'm doing my first steps to build a 6154 (Molnija 3601 already arrived, now deciding between an Athaya or River case), and your builds are an inspiration.

I have to search your threads for more information on the aging process. :)

Athaya seems to be the best choice. Or I should say will be the best choice.
No one knows when it will be out atm :(

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Your hand aging is second to none. but fess up, you had a hard time inflicting those gashes into the athaya crown guard, LOL. Lovely build, as always.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Your hand aging is second to none. but fess up, you had a hard time inflicting those gashes into the athaya crown guard, LOL. Lovely build, as always.

LOL, it's not that it's difficult, but it's hard when you think you could ruin it with your next stroke :lol:

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Yes. That's precisely my problem... wait or not...

It depends on how long you're prepared to wait.
I've been waiting for almost two years now, and last November I joined the pre-order. It seemed so close to being released... :)

lmmo

Renowned Member
2/2/15
It depends on how long you're prepared to wait.
I've been waiting for almost two years now, and last November I joined the pre-order. It seemed so close to being released... :)

Wow... that's clearly a perseverance test. :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Kilo strikes again !

Very nice build
Fantastic the aging job

Awesome pics as alwyays
Congrats
ALE