• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} The red indices 3646

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Originally posted July 31, 2016

The red indices 3646 - True Blood
A shout out to Mark_Midlands

This project was born over a year ago, when an HF member seemed to be on the verge of releasing some very special 3 piece dials in a small batch. Of course I immediately got excited and started to prepare the build. I am still waiting for those dials, but thanks to Mark_Midlands I can call this build finished.

The moment I saw the dials Mark recently posted I fell in love with the one with red indices and realized it would have fitted perfectly this case and strap.
I have to say Mark's work has impressed me to say the least, you can judge this by yourself. All I can say is if he still has some dials for sale you better snatch it up asap :)
The base plate is anodized instead of painted with beautiful texture and a matte charcoal color. The resin filled indices are extremely clear and glossy, and their color and aging are spot on with the gen reference pic. Indeed an exceptional dial.
Hands are Athaya tall tube hands, lightly retouched.

Reference pic

The build:

Case set is NW 3646 with tall bezel, all work on it done by me.
I worked on it about a year ago, it was the second time I soldered wire lugs and I had to do it with the strap already stitched to the case (don't ask me why...). I was almost completely successful, but although I tried to protect it with several layers of tin foil the strap suffered a minor damage (one end is now slightly narrower than the other), at least now lugs are firmly attached to the case and the soldering does not look that bad either.

Plexi is standard NW low dome, aged and crazed by me, caseback sides were fully hand polished while radial brushing was left as is with only a moderate aging/polishing.

I also installed an Athaya crown and tube, but since the tube hole is not perfectly centered in these case sets, I almost cut through the case while drilling to enlarge it. Some solder around the base would probably finish it more nicely, but I won't heat up the case again.
The moral is if you want to try the same I suggest you use a drill base or any other more professional tool than holding the case with one hand and the drill with the other :)

A final note about the strap: this is a very special strap from Orloff, we talked a little about the way he was aging these straps and in the end he agreed to stitch the leather directly to the case and then both case and strap were aged in a drum. The result was outstanding, all I can say is this is the absolute best strap I own. By far. Thanks Orloff :thumbup:

More pics:

That's all for now, of course any comment/advice/critic is welcome, hope you enjoyed the pics :)

Last edited:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Beautiful build up of one of the most attractive 3646s in the vintage files. With these red Rad dials, one can either dye the resin red that fills the indices or use clear resin and then apply a thin layer of transparent red on the back between the resin and lume. It is a difficult build to get right, and, kilo, you really nailed it again.

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Holly sh** Kilo! This vintage builds are including more and more complicated procedures and use of imagination. Congratulations.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys, stay tuned for more.
I'm almost done with 3646 (for a while), then I'll move to 6152/1.
Right now I'm getting into luming hands, the first results are... encouraging :)

Knifemaker

18/11/10
A very big Congrats Sir! Love it when one of the members here goes all the way! LOL!!!
Great results Sir!

Today, I have disassembled my beloved 111 Noob, and heading to the shop to give it a full bead blast, before sending it out to a good friend for a New type of DLC.

I have been looking forward to this project for quite some time now!
Wish me Luck!!!

Knife

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
my dear friend---the K-Fac strikes again....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...this is a really beautiful build...I think I am getting into these vintage pams more and more...with builds like these it won´t get better I suppose...

keep up the great and unique builds.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
OMG!
Kilo you are awesome
A very nice collection of builds you are getting

Thanks for sharing those impressive pics

Congrats !

ALE

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
A very big Congrats Sir! Love it when one of the members here goes all the way! LOL!!!
Great results Sir!

Today, I have disassembled my beloved 111 Noob, and heading to the shop to give it a full bead blast, before sending it out to a good friend for a New type of DLC.

I have been looking forward to this project for quite some time now!
Wish me Luck!!!

Knife

I did not forget about your friend's new coating... Looking forward to see the outcome!

my dear friend---the K-Fac strikes again....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...this is a really beautiful build...I think I am getting into these vintage pams more and more...with builds like these it won´t get better I suppose...

keep up the great and unique builds.

My friend, you know I would be more than happy to build a watch for you :)

OMG!
Kilo you are awesome
A very nice collection of builds you are getting

Thanks for sharing those impressive pics

Congrats !

ALE

Thanks ALE, you know without you, your PAM guide, this section and its awesome members I would not be where I am right now.

Knifemaker

18/11/10
"ALE

Thanks ALE, you know without you, your PAM guide, this section and its awesome members I would not be where I am right now."

Here!-Here on That!

Kilo, she hit the USPA Today! Really looking forward to seeing Her return with the new Coating!

I did get one of the Noob 360's in a couple of weeks ago and thought about the Cape Cod treatment. What conserns me, is how much life of the coating will it destroy?

Seems odd to me that Cape Cod could actually effect DLC. I still don't quite see how it is possible. Unless the DLC we are being supplied with from the Rep. factories is not in reality real DLC.

Any thoughts on this from you or ALE?

Knife

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I'm not really into the technicalities, I'm more of an "experiment" guy. What I can say is any abrasive I tried had the coating wear off easily enough.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks ALE, you know without you, your PAM guide, this section and its awesome members I would not be where I am right now.

Thanks kilo
But that is not fair because RWI PAM Section and PAM GUIDE are made by many people (like you) contributing with reviews, opinions, pics, comments
I'm just the conductor

ALE