• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Three builds to end a great year and start another - pt.1

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
- Three builds to end a great year and start another -
Part 1: The 3646 RP dot dial

I will never forget this 2015 as it stands as a stepping stone in my fascination with watches.
I began the year with the will to complete a watch built by me, not as easy as it sounds if you think that I decased a watch for the first time around February 2015.

Building watches is a strange process, sometimes the parts seem to be easily and widely available, then you get stuck because of that movement ring not fitting or that hand set you ordered for the wrong movement. Throughout the year I built a variety of watches, a few of them were easy and fast to build, on much more I struggled and had to change my plans more than once, but in the end I finalized them.
Each build represented a task and a trial for my commitment to this passion. The good thing is I still have a lot to learn and this is what keeps me going :)

I started collecting parts for the builds I present today right at the beginning of 2015, and finally in December I was able to lay them on my desk and complete them.
Some of you might think that I have a thing for brown dials, well it will be quite clearer after seeing these three builds :lol:

First will be this 3646 fitted with a beautiful Radiomir Panerai "dot" dial made by Ross and painted by irate03.
I'll keep it short with the words as I already wrote too much, here are the build's specs:

- River case lightly reshaped, lugs soldered, polished, aged and refinished to a low polished effect. This came with an Athaya crown already installed, I did not imagine how better than River's crown this is btw.
- Sternkreuz tall plexi with flat top
- Athaya tall tube hands with faux CP
- Irate03 dial
- Unitas 6497-1 low beat cleaned and serviced by an HF member
- Display CB completely refinished and hand polished
- Super soft vintage leather strap from Ilem

All work except installing Athaya tube and servicing the movement done by me.

Here's how it looks:

Stay tuned for part 2 and 3 :)

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thank you :)

Part 2 and 3 will be up very soon. They are already made and written, I just need some time to post them :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
This is a true vintage PAM catalogue

Congrats

ALE