• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dilemma: Be happy with Super Reps or buy Gen PAM

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
This is an answer very difficult and with a lot of nuances and subjective part.
Better doing some thinking over this matter:

Are the Suoer reps at more 90% of the gen: YES
Will a rep 99% accurate (imposible 100%) to the gen be the same as gen?: NOT AT ALL
Will the reps keep its value in the future ?: Few of them, and not even increase usually
Will the gen PAM keep its value in the future?: Usually yes and with important increases many times.
It is the same feel wearing a rep or a gen? : USUALLY NOT AT ALL. But this is UP TO YOU.
It is worth top buy a PAM. Manifattura type or similar impossible to be replicated ?: If you have the money YES, YES, YES. If you have no money: Why are you torturing yourself with no necessity?
It is worth top buy a PAM easy to be replicated ?: This is the problem. Start again reading these questions….

Anyway, A rep will never have the charge of charism, care and love for manufacture of a gen. You will pay for that, of course. But you will never be obligated.
I think you are more confused than at the beginning…

ALE

Gen watches do have an X factor that is not yet replicated. It is awesome knowing that you are appreciating more than just the look of a watch. You buy a gen to appreciate the fine craftsmanship, the small engineering feet on your wrist.

Maintaing value is something I haven't put too much thought into. If I am patient and wait for a proper priced used watch then I won't lose my ass on a resale. But it seems that it always takes forever to liquidate a watch. I would want a gen that could be quickly unloaded if I went a different route. What is your experience here?

Hm.

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
Did you just say that?

Better hope she doesn't find out you even thought of that.

OH%20NO%20YOU%20DI%20INT%20MICHELLE%20OBAMA.jpg

Haha, yeah she'd wring my neck for sure.

dave0280

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/5/13
If you can afford the gen - get the gen, simple. But I agree, the super reps now are impossible to tell apart without having a gen sitting right beside it and you staring at it to pick out the flaws. But for me - gen all the way.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Wow ALE interesting, a few from home, a quite different approach for me with old school naim in the cine room and low power valve n vinyl and horns in another room. I did have a KSA 50 in the past, but those are monstrous !

Cinemaroom3-9203056.jpg

Cinemaroom4-9203058.jpg

Extremas-9203050.jpg

Horns2-9203048.jpg

Horns1-9203044.jpg

Waiting-9203047.jpg

Old school but very good. I like a lot Naim electronics.
Naim, Audio Research, Sonus Faber... nice combinations. Congrats

I also owned the Krell KSA 50 and KSA 100. What a revolution in that time ! True A Class, 80-85º C temperature and near 100kg weight for KSA 100.

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
WOw! That's some serious stuff!

Pardon my ignorance but why are all the amps on the floor?

Many years ago the trend in High End Audio equipment (maybe from the development of special wires) is having the Power Amplifier as close as posible to the loudspeakers, and besides the current weight of modern Power Amplifier... It is better to keep it in the floor with same good platform fitted by cone tips contacting floor.
This is the fashion many years ago

ALE

C5000

29/6/12
You want to keep the speaker cable as short as possible....because it sounds better and because interconnects are cheaper than speaker cables (somewhat).

I used to sell Krell gear in the 90s, and the KSA 200s and 300s were about 200lbs, and the fins were sharp, so you have to be really careful. You could seriously ruin someones floor, not to mention your arms and back!

I always thought the Rowland gear sounded better though...

jeffrowland.jpg

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
Wow ALE interesting, a few from home, a quite different approach for me with old school naim in the cine room and low power valve n vinyl and horns in another room. I did have a KSA 50 in the past, but those are monstrous !

Cinemaroom3-9203056.jpg

Cinemaroom4-9203058.jpg

Extremas-9203050.jpg

Horns2-9203048.jpg

Horns1-9203044.jpg

Waiting-9203047.jpg

You want to keep the speaker cable as short as possible....because it sounds better and because interconnects are cheaper than speaker cables (somewhat).

I used to sell Krell gear in the 90s, and the KSA 200s and 300s were about 200lbs, and the fins were sharp, so you have to be really careful. You could seriously ruin someones floor, not to mention your arms and back!

jeffrowland.jpg

Sweet setups, I feel like the poor cousin I just have 2 Bob Carver's Sunfire Cinema Grand supplying 2000 watts to 5 Martin Logans and I have 2 Cerwin Vega subs for bass, nice crisp sound.

WOW that is some nice stuff there...

Seems we watch freaks are also audiophiles, awesome!!!:thumbsup:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11

This is, of course, a subjective matter
I like a lot Rowland too
The import company in Spain for Rowland and Krell is the same.
I have a strong frienship with the owner, I have had many opportunities of making comparisons Krell-Rowland even at home.
With preamps I must say I would prefer Rowland but in Power amps I prefer clearly the Krell with the most of the loudspeaker like Wilson Audio, Apogee, Thiel, B&W, Martin logan, Sonus Faber...

See an interesting Support Table for Turntable and CD transport (turntable at the top and CD transport at bottom) designed and made by myself in 1999. It is at the center of the image with the Transrotor turntable at top.

silentinertia_zps5ede14d7.jpg

This table made of Steel, a lot of Lead, Epoxy resin, Granite... is called "Silent Inerta" and weighs more 1000 kg (yes one thousand !). It is maybe the best support for turntable in the world.

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
And now see two Wilson Audio loudspeakers powered by two fantastic Krell
The bases of the Krell's were designed and made by myself on 1999.
Sorry for the pics
They are made in sandwich structiure of: Wood MDF board, Steel, Epoxy resin and hard PVC. All that coated with piano lacquer.
These bases are conecting the floor by three golden cones fitted by points made of hardened Steel.

sala5sarte_zps057e68fd.jpg

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
It seems we would need open an Audio-Video subforum for audiophiles !!!

OMG!! More reviews ahead ....
No, No...!!!

ALE

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
It seems we would need open an Audio-Video subforum for audiophiles !!!

OMG!! More reviews ahead ....
No, No...!!!

ALE

No need for a sub forum, you guys just go ahead and continue thread jacking me. Haha!

C5000

29/6/12
Not really thread jacking, but talking about that balance that you need again.

Speaking of balance, ALE that turntable stand should be twice as heavy!! Nice work on that, but certainly overkill for my Rega rp3 in my second system...
5904636461_f3a0fa5f45.jpg

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
No need for a sub forum, you guys just go ahead and continue thread jacking me. Haha!

Just brilliant Jaybo

We have been guided by our audiophile enthusiasm.

Sorry

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Not really thread jacking, but talking about that balance that you need again.

Speaking of balance, ALE that turntable stand should be twice as heavy!! Nice work on that, but certainly overkill for my Rega rp3 in my second system...

Good one again!

This REGA is one of the best ratio Quality/Price in Hi-Fi
What is your cartridge?

ALE

votoms

Known Member
1/9/12
I have a few Gen watches, nothing feels better than knowing you are wearing the real thing. The feeling you get when you walk in to a Rolex dealer and experiencing the whole buying process and walking out with a gen box, papers etc is amazing. It gives some a sense of achievement. So far, I have done this twice for Rolex, twice for Omega and once for Raymond Weil. I do have a few reps tho, namely PAMs. A few people I know wear Gen Rolex and rep Pams. Dunno why that is. HAHA. All I can say, be prepared to feel the pain when your Gen watch gets all the marks that come with daily wear and desk diving...MY DJII looks like crap now. Need to send it to Rolex for service soon.

votoms

Known Member
1/9/12
:rofl:

We at the Rolex section envy you guys. Pam reps had it so good for the longest time :D:

True!!! If they can ever get the datewheel and cyclops perfected, otherwise I will only ever wear my Gen Rollies. =D