• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 111 Wobbly Crown Issue

keeter

Horology Curious
20/12/08
Canada
Hey PAM crew, I have owned this DSN 111 rep (Unitas 6497) for 15 years, watch still runs fine but the crown has become loose ("wobbly") over time and no longer sits flush with the case in the winding position. Now I can only wind it if I push the crown all the way in by force and then rotate.

I have taken out the crown and stem, here is a macro shot:
The crown seems screwed into the stem quite tightly, but there is wobble further up (the spring loaded mechanism?). Does this look abnormal to anyone else?

I have looked around for replacement crowns, but I don't see any that look spring loaded like this one on eBay.

Have looked through years of old forum threads but still unsure of what exactly is going on here. Emailed DSN; not sure if he's still active.

Would appreciate any and all help / advice.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I don't know how to fix this but wonder, if the wobble comes from the area that I circled in red, due to wear.

Looks to me as if the crown and tube sits a bit askew on the smaller tube where the stem is screwed into (but I could be wrong).

Edit: After quickly browsing ebay generic spring loaded Panerai crowns should be obtainable. I am not sure how gen like you want yours to be, but I saw generic ones in size 9 and 10mm - maybe acceptable to bring your watch back to life.

zAdB28.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: keeter and KOT1917

keeter

Horology Curious
20/12/08
Canada
I don't know how to fix this but wonder, if the wobble comes from the area that I circled in red, due to wear.

Looks to me as if the crown and tube sits a bit askew on the smaller tube where the stem is screwed into (but I could be wrong).

Edit: After quickly browsing ebay generic spring loaded Panerai crowns should be obtainable. I am not sure how gen like you want yours to be, but I saw generic ones in size 9 and 10mm - maybe acceptable to bring your watch back to life.

zAdB28.jpg

Thank you for taking a look! Yes, I should have circled that area myself - that's exactly the issue. I don't know enough about watchmaking to figure out how exactly that smaller tube is attached to the crown. I can feel there's a spring inside. I have ordered a fine pin vise before attempting any operations on this component, but in the end I may have to spring (no pun intended) for a replacement 9mm. Don't care about gen too much, just need it to work.

Edit: ahhh, now I see there's a replacement crown with gasket for PAM104 for $49 on eBay, maybe that one will work. Worst case scenario I figure I could just put in a "regular" (non spring loaded) crown, would be considerably cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Thank you for taking a look! Yes, I should have circled that area myself - that's exactly the issue. I don't know enough about watchmaking to figure out how exactly that smaller tube is attached to the crown. I can feel there's a spring inside. I have ordered a fine pin vise before attempting any operations on this component, but in the end I may have to spring (no pun intended) for a replacement 9mm. Don't care about gen too much, just need it to work.

Unfortunately my incomplete knowledge ends here, too. I do not know how to dis- and re-assemble the crown, but that's where the spring is, yes. Don't know either wether it can be tightened again or if it is just worn out for good.

Anyway, best of luck!

Reactions: keeter

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Edit: ahhh, now I see there's a replacement crown with gasket for PAM104 for $49 on eBay, maybe that one will work. Worst case scenario I figure I could just put in a "regular" (non spring loaded) crown, would be considerably cheaper.

Indeed, I would probably do the same (worst case scenario).

superspark69

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK

Do not get that crown!, a Pam 104 is an automatic movement and the 111 is hand wind, the stem thread is smaller for the 104

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
I think it’s fixable. Because of the constant pulling over the years it must have dismounted the part between the crown and the stem. Take it apart entirely but carefully you don’t want the spring to go flying out.

Before you put it back i would clean the parts too, that orange thing looks like rust? There are rust removing solvents or just put it in vinegar for 2 days. When you attach the crown back to the stem add a bit of loctite blue so it doesn’t slide out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belkin12

Supporting Vendor
26/10/12
Ukraine
I'm afraid this crown is non-separable. Cleaning it won't help either.
The only way to fix it that I can see here is to roll up the edge of the "mother-tube" to make a friction tighter. But it should be done by professional on appropriate equipment.

keeter

Horology Curious
20/12/08
Canada
I'm afraid this crown is non-separable. Cleaning it won't help either.
The only way to fix it that I can see here is to roll up the edge of the "mother-tube" to make a friction tighter. But it should be done by professional on appropriate equipment.

Thanks for taking a look. I will try to fix it anyway (for science), with a high probability of failure. If it all goes wrong I will just replace it with a generic crown + stem for 6497, as any kind of professional repair costs would likely exceed the cost of multiple replacement crowns!