• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Before you throw that rep strap in the bin....

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
I'll admit to being a bit of a strap snob who typically discards rep straps immediately, however there have been a few that are quite nice. I thought I'd share my technique for turning a mediocre rep strap into a perfectly wearable one.

One strap in particular was the light tan 26/22mm strap that came on my SF 690 V2. While the leather was stiff and lifeless, the stitching and stamped logos were nicely done so I spent about 30 minutes to transform it.

Starting point - cheap Chinese cardboard leather:
IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

Step 2 - squeezing the shit out of the straps to soften and create structure / texture. I use these trigger clamps to pinch the straps as firmly as possible & leave them for 5 minutes each time:

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

Here you can see some texture now formed in the leather. What you can't see is that the process significantly softened the straps:

IMG_2771.JPG

Step 3 - Tokonole treatment. Tokonole is a leather burnishing cream that was recommended to me by Cordes that really transforms the finish of the leather. I'm not a fan of the frayed edges look that you see on many of the vintage style straps and the Tokonole smoothes the leather into a much more finished surface. Very easy to apply - just dip your finger, apply it evenly (I do the edges first) and rub it into the leather fully. Below you can see the long strap has been treated while the short strap is still raw - it does slightly darken the leather.

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

Daylight:

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

And all finished - note the nice luster created by the Tokonole:

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

And.... Straight back on the Bosphorus. I said I was a strap snob.

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

BTW - the Bosphorus also received the Tokonole treatment.

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great tips, I do something similar when I get a strap that's too stiff. I use a cream called seal wax instead

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Nice! Good job! :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
I have this exact problem with the straps on a recent watch order. I will have to clean the wood glue off my clamps and give this a try.

Thanks for the tip.

RepIseek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/1/20
Texas
That is the perfect strap to apply this process, well done! Now I wish I hadn’t traded my SF 690. I feel the same as you about the leather, the imprints are great but it totally felt super cheapy cardboard. I felt like it would be prone to dirt as well, yours looks 100 times better!

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Great tip, I use saphir leather balms on mine.

Thanks superspark69 - I'm curious to know more about the Saphir product. Is it a conditioner, or does it also smooth the structure of the leather grain?

Always looking for leather helpers - for watch straps and cars.

viper420

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/12
Also use Saphir Renovateur, its a leather conditioner. Mainly use it for my high end leather shoes but works great on straps. Can slightly darken lighter colored leather as it contains mink oil though.