• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PC TEAM*} Three kinds of lies - Panerai caught out once again

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
So what I now gather is that Panerai bends the truth on their end and then somebody calls them out, maybe exaggerating
and bending the truth on his end.

Only insiders and experts on the Panerai brand and its history will know and have the means to look either behind the
smokescreen of marketing or behind the derogatory mocking of investigative journalists.

What stays with me at this point is, that I - and I will say that again - have learnt new things on this forum about my favourite
hobby. It is somewhat comforting to learn from more knowledgable people than I am, that Panerai is not a complete fraud
and not just a hommage of Rolex with only the noticable crown guard being their only achievement. I am thankful for those
who have put this in the right perspective like kilowattore and ALE7575 .
Although it IS a great looking crown guard - love it :)

But I have to admit that once more in life I have been somewhat disillusioned and have lost a part of my almost childlike
and admittedly naive awe and admiration. However these things happen and do not really surprise me - I myself have been
in the marketing business long enough.

But still I willfully refuse to loose my curiosity and open-mindedness completely as I want to keep believing in the general
good and do not want to end up being sceptical and suspicious towards everything and everyone. And as P..DR..D
has pointed out: People either don't care or forget quickly, so do I ...mostly.

And value is in the eye of the beholder - what seems worthless to me might be a treasure for somebody else. But I feel
quite good about all my rep Panerai purchases. Love the design, love the history thats been restored by the above quoted
fellow members AND I feel no remorse about the price I paid. LOVE THIS HOBBY - LOVE RWI, thank you.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I agree 200% on confronting Panerai Vendome about his marketing and false claims.

Which to me is the only real issue here, they lied and then tried to cover it up with an opaque (see-thru) caseback. I would also be a lot happier if they had used a higher grade of ETA as, when I buy a 10 to 27k watch although I have no problem with an ETA being in there (they are fine MVTs after all) I do expect a high grade, not a base model. After all, they are buying these internally so cost is not a huge issue and the top grade may be as little as $100 more to Panerai. But the heat of the matter is the lies and deception, in no way is that acceptable.

History, yes he's pushing it pretty hard with his statements and he's wrong IMHO. If he's right then a Tudor is a Rolex as well and a Lexus is a Toyota, a Porsche or a Rolls Royce are simply a Volkswagon and a Winchester lever action and a Browning shotgun are a Miroku, all of which are patently untrue statements.

I love Panerai, I have a gen 112 and over 20 reps but I can not nor will I forgive outright lies. If you don't respect your client base you are a poor excuse for a company and it's time for a change in corporate culture. They need to remember they are not haute horology, they are a design ethos and if it wasn't for a guy who happened n Italy for a movie taking a shine to one of their watches they may well still be a little-known niche maker instead of one of the collected brands on the planet.

Reactions: kilowattore

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Morgan buyers know that power comes from a Ford, Alfa Romeo, Triumph, or Rover engine

That, sir, is the point, they are made aware of that fact, Morgan doesn't hide it nor do they use the cheapest version they can buy. The issue here is transparency and not just of the caseback.

Reactions: Hesekiel

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Panerai’s been doing these shenanigans ever since the company was sold to Richemont.
Remember the PAM 318 “Brooklyn Bridge”
Movement scandal?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
As someone who was there when Josè was an active part of the homage community and followed his entire career I will just say I don't like him and his behaviour. I don't like the way his articles are unnecessarily biased and unfair, always looking for the next big fraud and trying to make as much noise as possible in order to attract views.

I agree 200% on confronting Panerai Vendome about his marketing and false claims. Panerai doesn't need and doesn't deserve such poor behaviour, besides there is really nothing out of the ordinary in having ETA based movements inside expensive watches. Ultimately market will decide but it's sellers's duty to give customers the elements needed for an informed decision.

I disagree 200% on his view of the Panerai history and hate when he states Panerai were Rolex watches. They weren't, they were Panerai watches made by Rolex just like my old Saab had a GM engine in it and a lot of parts made in the most disparate factories all around the world.
G. Panerai e Figlio was born a small watch reseller who later developed some instruments for the Marina Militare. Due to this relationship the fascist regime placed an order with them for a number of watches and gave them a very short time frame to fulfill it. War was in the air and fascists were no people to joke with . Panerai did not have to needed machining tools at that time so they asked Rolex to help making their idea become reality.
They had the idea of making a wristwatch out of a pocket watch. They had the idea of fitting a radium filled dial inside the watch so it would have been possible to read the time underwater and in the dark. A product bears the brand of whom had the idea to make it, who invented it, not who phisically made it. That is just my opinion of course, I don't want to pass it as the absolute truth like others do.

I appreciate Jose’s job of putting up sort of a “Panerai Watch” (pun). Keeping an eye on their movements (another pun) for any malfeasance. Because it does seem like someone up there gets off at seeing their customers getting scammed. You would think that after Bonati, things would be different, sadly it looks like JMP is another psycho.
I do agree he is too harsh regarding the history of Panerai and Rolex. If Rolex is not claiming those watches, what gives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locvs

7/12/20
Germany
Richemont and especially Panerai have a history of this kind of truth-bendings.
It is true, that VW Touareg, Audi Q7, Bentley Bentayga and Lammborhini Urus share a lot of parts, inluding engines. However the engines were developed "in house".
Even if we extend the "in house" term to cover all of Richemont, an ETA movement is in no way developed by Richemont. Made "in house" sure. Bu this type of warering down the term "in house" is going into the same direct as some clothing brands went. Panerai is degrading themselves to a mere luxury fashion brand, rather than a proper watchmaker...

As for the quality of the ETA: words fail me. Cost cutting is a downward spiral, that can ruin you.

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I have a gen 112 and over 20 reps but I can not nor will I forgive outright lies

Since you are not ready to forgive them for those lies, I will be extremely glad if I can take that burden of lies on myself by buying some of those 20 or so Panerai replicas that you have :D
(It seems to me that we will not experience this scenario but it was worth a try)

I’m sure you don’t want anyone to see you wearing them or to know you have some PANERAI back at home :D

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
Since you are not ready to forgive them for those lies, I will be extremely glad if I can take that burden of lies on myself by buying some of those 20 or so Panerai replicas that you have :D
(It seems to me that we will not I can take also some of that burden of lies on myself by buying some of your 20 Panerai replicasexperience this scenario but it was worth a try)

I’m sure you don’t want anyone to see you wearing them or to know you have some PANERAI back at home :D

Oh, I can also take on some of this burden of lies by buying some of his 20 Panerai replicas ;)

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
... Panerai is degrading themselves to a mere luxury fashion brand, rather than a proper watchmaker...

Panerai was never a proper watchmaker. The current shitstorm is the result of Richemont wanting OP to appear like one, probably in order to justify outrageous prices.
I agree with you though, cost cutting might be a downward spiral, especially if combined with increasing prices and weak products.

Reactions: trailboss99

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Since you are not ready to forgive them for those lies, I will be extremely glad if I can take that burden of lies on myself by buying some of those 20 or so Panerai replicas that you have

UIm . . . . . . no. :p

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
For me, Panerai history is just the best story in watchmaking and they used to make really cool watches that I still absolutely love and am inspired by.
Management has made a joke of Panerai, counterfeiting images, stories, asking exuberant prices for pretty bland looking watches.
Remember when they photoshopped the old Firenze GPF boutique with an "OFFICINE PANERAI" display? Wow that was a real low...

Fergulator72

I'm Pretty Popular
4/5/21
I've been seeing lots of posts about how shite Panerai movements are in watch groups,lots of people having issues with them also, they are getting a bad reputation,rep Pam's and custom Pam builds are a better option in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Natas78

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
I've been seeing lots of posts about how shite Panerai movements are in watch groups,lots of people having issues with them also, they are getting a bad reputation,rep Pam's and custom Pam builds are a better option in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: ;)

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
For me, the perfect Panerai is a 47mm watch with hour and minute hands only. No second hand, no date, no moonphase and no perpetual calendar, no chronograph, no weather display.
Make mine a closed back and install a fine Swiss ETA powering it, or, better yet, a Rolex 618 or an Angelus 240.

In-house movements have their place in watchmaking. If I spent $75K on a Patek Phillipe, I wouldn't want an ETA under the hood, just to name one example. Panerai and Patek are different types of watches, and have a different buyer group.

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
For me, the perfect Panerai is a 47mm watch with hour and minute hands only. No second hand, no date, no moonphase and no perpetual calendar, no chronograph, no weather display.
Make mine a closed back and install a fine Swiss ETA powering it, or, better yet, a Rolex 618 or an Angelus 240.

In-house movements have their place in watchmaking. If I spent $75K on a Patek Phillipe, I wouldn't want an ETA under the hood, just to name one example. Panerai and Patek are different types of watches, and have a different buyer group.

Exactly !