• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Springbar tube help

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
Can one of you PAM experts give a quick guide on when to use and/or not use springbar tubes?

Is it just when there are not drilled lugs, or are there other considerations? Does the bracelet material make a difference?

I have a new PAM coming with a few different straps and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks!

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Hello.

There are a couple of tips.
- On carbotech cases (fibrotech, if you like), springbars cannot be used together with tubes, because the holes in the lugs are not through, and you cannot remove the strap whole, you will have to cut it. There is a high probability of breaking a fragile lug, many have gone through this.
- If the model initially uses a springbar, then there is no limitation in the tubes, although it is much more difficult to remove the strap, because there may not be a gap between the edge tube and the lug at all, therefore, in this case, I would recommend not using this combination, especially since most, for example the rubber rep straps are sized for the thickness of the springbar in its hole.
- If the model originally used screw rods, or a quick change system, and you bought separately the springbars simulating screws at the ends, then the tubes are not needed, they are already thick enough to fill tightly the space holes of any strap.

For all of the above, I would not use tubes at all if there is a springbar, because most often they fit the thickness of the holes in the straps.
If you have straps with wide openings and would like to compensate for this by using tubes, or to bring the strap edge closer to the case by doing this, then use shorter tubing, making sure you have the right distance to hook the edge of the sprinbar from the beginning. and remove it accordingly.

Finally, the material of the strap has only one meaning.
The straps can be a little "dry" and have a small gap between the lugs, they can be completely plump and barely squeeze in. They can also be very soft, allowing them to deform in width by a couple of mm, or absolutely rigid, which will deprive the chance of bending. All this must be taken into account, understanding how this type of attachment is removed.

I came across VSF straps with a shorter tube at once, and by 1, maybe 0.5mm already lugs, but immediately with a tube, which nevertheless made it possible to remove it. At the same time, I also have a strap, which I would not be able to remove even without pipes without spoiling its appearance if I used a springbar. Everything is relative, but it seems I tried to describe all the conditions that are worth paying attention to, so as not to screw up completely too badly.

Last edited:

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
KOT1917 very informative.
I wonder if I use springbar with fake screw, will it destroy lug thread? Meaning will I be able to revert back on using screw later on?

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Glad I could help.

Fair question shyreplover , I'll try to answer.

First, these springbars can be different, with fake screws on 2 sides, or on 1 side.
jUyIxL.jpg

As you can see, the sides are either the same or different, and in the event that they are different, they differ not only in the presence and absence of a slot, but also in the width of the rod:
jUyYUR.jpg
jUyyQ8.jpg

If we are considering a screw rod replacement rather than a quick change system, then as you understand, in one lug we have a wide hole without a thread, and on the other a narrower and with a thread. Accordingly, the screw rod, excluding the thread, is narrower on one side and wider on the other.

If you decide to choose a springbar, for the reason that the thread in the lug has died, then everything is simple: you take a springbar with different ends, the thicker one goes into the hole, on the lugs intended for the side of the slot, and the thin rod of the other side goes completely into the hole where the thread used to be, and no problem.

But if there is a thread, then the thin end under the pressure of the spring will most likely go there, especially if you first bait from this side (it will not go deeply easily), and then try to press on the other side on the end with the slot to tuck it into the hole.
Here you can see the ratio of the thickness of the thin end to the threaded end of a standard pam rod:
jUy6n1.jpg
jUy8uj.jpg

As you can see, it is very similar in thickness, and on a titanium case it can kill an internal lug thread the first time, on a steel one it is probably a little more difficult to do it.

If you have normal threads, just want to make it easier to take off and on, and not to injure the threads once again, I would recommend taking a springbar with splines on both sides. They are significantly thicker than the threaded end of a standard rod:
jUytZ4.jpg
jUyBII.jpg

On the one hand, everything is clear, just there is a wide hole in which it is easy to place this end, and it is better to bait from this side:
jUyQXc.jpg

And on the second side there is some recess, suitable in diameter, to the narrowing where the thread is cut:
jUylxX.jpg

The thick end with a fake slot will go into this chamfer, but will not fall through (will not fit), deeper, to the thread.
As a result, it will not go through to the end, will not close the hole when viewed from the outside, and the engagement area will not be so large, but quite sufficient to hold it firmly, and the thread will not suffer.

Usually, if you buy such springbars in sets, for example here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-Springba...-127635-2958-0

then the set includes several different ones, both with slots on 2 sides, and on one side.

Hope I was able to answer your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrsullivan

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
Crystal clear explanation KOT1917. The pictures really explain alot. I'm completely unaware with this new fashion of replacing screw rod with springbar. I'll check your ebay link.

Thank you for your great effort in explaining this springbar thingy, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: KOT1917

DrHack

10/8/20
SoCal
I was hoping to get good info when I posted this question - thanks to KOT1917 the answers exceeded my expectations. Thank you sir!

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
KOT1917 thank you mate, you just saved my "dead drilled lug" 243 from a hard knock on the ground. Springbars ordered.

Envoyé de mon SM-G991B en utilisant Tapatalk