• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Homage 1944 Ref. 3646 California Dial Panerai Watch

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
Hello,

New watch assembled.
jjGSMX.jpg

For inspiration, I used these genuine 3646 Cali dial watches.
jjGxob.jpg

jjGbDi.jpg

CASE:
Nightwatch – fully shaped and polishedcase with inside and outside welded lugs. Case shaping was done by Gordon himself. Movement holder is aged and it looks like 80 years old. Crown tube is soldered to the case.

jjGJTp.jpg

Also, this watch has Nightwatch lead gaskets installed.
jjGVb5.jpg

DIAL:
0.4mm thickness and 37mm diameter dial with chemical blackening, vintage beige lume, and flat matt finish.It’s an exceptional dial.

jjGg5F.jpg

I do have DIY dial feet soldering machine but I did not want to risk damaging the dial with adding dial feet, so I used one of my brass plates with dial feet installed already. I made brass plate little thinner (from 0.5 to 0.2mm) so that thickness is smaller so I can install normal blue heated hands (not tall tube).
jjSDBt.jpg

HANDS:
These hands I purchased through “tourby_watches” on eBay. They already come with vintage lume.

MOVEMENT:
Cortebert 616. My watchmaker serviced the movement but I told him to leave scratches and everything else like as is. Also, due to 616 winding stem being 1.5mm diameter, I had to get from Athaya’s website a winding stem with 1.2mm diameter to go with NW 1.2 crown.

jjSZR2.jpg

CASEBACK:
Caseback is solid like in old days. No engravings outside of the case, just plain and simple.

jjSzKE.jpg

STRAP:
Manifatture Serioso collection.

Strap comes with Stainless Steel Buckle with little MS logo on the other side of the buckle.

jjS39n.jpg

I think I covered everything about the watch. If I missed something, let me know…

Here are more pictures:
jjSHs3.jpg

jjSAXD.jpg

jjShDs.jpg

jjS2qY.jpg

I hope you like it and thank you for reading this post.

Cheers!

On to the next project!

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Excellent looking 3646, well done!

Last edited:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Really nice job
Congrats

ALE

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Excellent build, did you say you build this yourself ?

I suppose this is 47mm right ?

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
I usually buy/collect parts for every build and then I give parts to my friend who just put all parts together.

This is 47mm case, indeed.