• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Longines Avigation BigEye

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
So just to confirm, the chrono functions work? ie: does the 12 hour counter also move or is it like the Omega speedmaster that has the 12 hours counter stopped at 0?

I am no expert on Speedmasters, but to my recollection most have all subdials functioning. The real issue with speedmasters is the spacing of the subdials. I have never bought one for that reason. There are probably some speedmasters where they froze 1 or more of the subdials so they could put them in the proper place & maybe that is what you are thinking of.

Any issue that you are going to have with a chronograph is the following. With the exception of the 4130 Clone for the Rolex Daytona there is only an A7750 at this point that the rep makers use for Chronos and the native or way it was designed is to have the position of the second hand subdial @ 9. If the Gen has the sec @ any other position than at 9 then they have to add some gears to get it to where ever they want it and then it adds height to the watch and if there is a date wheel it makes the date look sunken. The experts all agree that most of the time moving the sec subdial away from @9 also causes other issues that increases the chances that something might go wrong, especially when it comes to the chrono function.

Reactions: magoohkg

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
Not really if u check very carefully, it's still different than the gen.

I not gonna tell you where to spot.

​​​​​
​​​​​

Can you please tell me the difference? I'm too dumb to see it.

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Just saw this combo and I am in love

05f8604a96005f2dca1cc046c9cf5148.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
One tiny difference I saw was on the left sub dial the little marker where 30 would be (6 o clock) is a little too short.

Yup, that's it, you're absolutely correct. It should be the same size as 35. I can live with that :)

ebzen02 That's a stunning combo. It makes me wanna go gen on this one.

drunknoob

Horology Curious
18/11/15
A hot desert USA
Received my watch Monday and it's been on my wrist since. Have to say it's a very nice rep. From what I can tell it's looks almost spot on to the Gen. I would def say this is NWBIG, at the very least.

I say the biggest flaw with this rep is the lack of any AR coating on the crystal. So far it hasn't bothered me but a small disappointment. Also, at least on mine, the rotor is annoyingly loud. Besides that it's all minor flaws like the marking on the sec sub dial and some engraving on the back. Perhaps someone with sharper eyes can point them all out but I don't see many.

If anyone is interested about the size, it wears well. If you have smaller wrists and are on the fence, I'd say you'd have no problem with this watch. It wears similar, if maybe a tad smaller, to my Pelagos. I think the shorter lug to lug distance and 20mm lug width help compensate for the thick movement and crystal.

Overall a very nice watch. I think if you put in a better crystal and service the movement you'd have a near perfect rep.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Received my watch Monday and it's been on my wrist since. Have to say it's a very nice rep. From what I can tell it's looks almost spot on to the Gen. I would def say this is NWBIG, at the very least.

I say the biggest flaw with this rep is the lack of any AR coating on the crystal. So far it hasn't bothered me but a small disappointment. Also, at least on mine, the rotor is annoyingly loud. Besides that it's all minor flaws like the marking on the sec sub dial and some engraving on the back. Perhaps someone with sharper eyes can point them all out but I don't see many.

If anyone is interested about the size, it wears well. If you have smaller wrists and are on the fence, I'd say you'd have no problem with this watch. It wears similar, if maybe a tad smaller, to my Pelagos. I think the shorter lug to lug distance and 20mm lug width help compensate for the thick movement and crystal.

Overall a very nice watch. I think if you put in a better crystal and service the movement you'd have a near perfect rep.

Just beautiful. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
The flaw on the 30 marker of the left subdial is so unnecessary though...ffs...

drunknoob Thank you for your thoughts and pics, I appreciate it. I saw the gen at the ADs and it had very poor AR too, so that's not really a flaw. Wear it in good health!

This rep probably has a better WR than gen ( 3 ATM ) :D

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
The flaw on the 30 marker of the left subdial is so unnecessary though...ffs...

This was exactly my thoughts too. Think about it for a second....all those markers at every position are the same length. All you have to do is make them all the same and you get it right. But NOooooo the Chinese idiot rep makers gotta change this one. WTF were they thinking there? Hmmmm gee I think this looks better, maybe it'll sell better if we make this one marker little shorter?

It's obviously a nice watch and this little flaw is not something anyone is going to notice or anything, but still I just don't get it sometimes with these guys....

Last edited:

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
It's all about their secret "millions of versions " plan. Mwahaha, all of our money belongs to them :)

drunknoob

Horology Curious
18/11/15
A hot desert USA
Thanks all. Hopefully I can help someone who is considering picking this up make a decision. The sub dial flaw is annoying because it's such a simple mistake but far from the worst I've had on a rep. This is a nice watch.

drunknoob Nice pictures Dude! Is the chrono working well?

Thanks. I only used the chrono twice. When I first got the watch, I let it run for 3 mins to test it. And once at work timing some popcorn in the microwave lol. Worked both times and reset to zero no issue but I don't plan on using it often, if ever really.

From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, as is from factory all A7750 movements should be treated very carefully. I have read several places though that once they are serviced they run just as well as the ETA ones. So if you want this to use the chrono or any watch with a clone 7750 movement in it I would just planning to get it serviced. Again though if someone has a better insight into that whole situation please feel free to correct me.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Thanks all.........From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, as is from factory all A7750 movements should be treated very carefully. I have read several places though that once they are serviced they run just as well as the ETA ones. So if you want this to use the chrono or any watch with a clone 7750 movement in it I would just planning to get it serviced. Again though if someone has a better insight into that whole situation please feel free to correct me.

You have half the story right. I'm going to post here rather than PM you just so anyone else that doesn't have the whole scoop knows.

The ETA 7750 was originally made to have the seconds subdial @9. This is referred to as the native configuration. The Asian reppers copied the ETA pretty well and as long as the seconds are @9 the movement is stable and works quite well. I have a few reps that have an A7750 with seconds subdial @9; that I have had for several years. They have been used extensively and have had no issues at all. There is no need to baby these.

However......
When they move the seconds away from the 9 position all bets are off. Lots of Gens have the seconds in a different position than @9 & because of no other options for the rep makers they decided to modify the A7750 rather than come buo with another original movement. In order to do this they need to add extra transfer gears and this introduces all sorts of problems. It is because of this that you read about A7750 reliability problems.

When the seconds isn't @9 even a service can be a temporary fix. There is at least one thread where one of the really experienced watchmakers messed around with a whole host of fixes and concluded that there isn't a very good or permanent fix. My conclusion is just skip any watches that use a 7750 with the seconds subdial anywhere but @9

drunknoob

Horology Curious
18/11/15
A hot desert USA
You have half the story right. I'm going to post here rather than PM you just so anyone else that doesn't have the whole scoop knows.

The ETA 7750 was originally made to have the seconds subdial @9. This is referred to as the native configuration. The Asian reppers copied the ETA pretty well and as long as the seconds are @9 the movement is stable and works quite well. I have a few reps that have an A7750 with seconds subdial @9; that I have had for several years. They have been used extensively and have had no issues at all. There is no need to baby these.

However......
When they move the seconds away from the 9 position all bets are off. Lots of Gens have the seconds in a different position than @9 & because of no other options for the rep makers they decided to modify the A7750 rather than come buo with another original movement. In order to do this they need to add extra transfer gears and this introduces all sorts of problems. It is because of this that you read about A7750 reliability problems.

When the seconds isn't @9 even a service can be a temporary fix. There is at least one thread where one of the really experienced watchmakers messed around with a whole host of fixes and concluded that there isn't a very good or permanent fix. My conclusion is just skip any watches that use a 7750 with the seconds subdial anywhere but @9

Ahh, well thank you for the informative post.

@magoohkg Don't be so disheartened though, this watch has the running seconds at 9. I say if you're interested in this watch at around 300usd it's a good buy. I mean if you're worried about the rep you can pick it up gen for 1700usd and that's brand new.