• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Roger dubuis excalibur tourbillon V3 vs V1 vs Gen review

machiavegli

7/11/11
Brilliant review, just ran across it for the first time. Nicely done, sir.

-Mach

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Thanks mate glad you enjoyed it! I know what you mean, after seeing both hand in hand you would be very hard pressed not to go for the v3. Might be expensive but a combo of the two (keyless and winding, even barrel from v1 because v3 has a stupid pointless notch in the barrel) clasp v1, strap v1 (if your not going custom). Then everything else v3.

The breguet is still ticking away, i was just wearing it yesterday actually. Ive had to reset it from over banking once more since i did it the first time, but that was after the last tyson fury fight. Maybe a lot a alcohol and much excitement leads to it over banking? If your a sedate person its a great watch though haha!

hahaha great mate! the dial is so mesmerizing (both RD and Breguet lol)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
What a great review bro! I've always been interested in owning a Tourby and RD's keep catching my eye. I need to take the plunge. Thanks for sharing.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
What a great review bro! I've always been interested in owning a Tourby and RD's keep catching my eye. I need to take the plunge. Thanks for sharing.

Hi mate, glad you liked it! If im being honest, the v3 is not as good as the v1. If you can live with the extra brass gears i highly recommended the v1 that a guy has up for sale (theres a link somewhere in this thread). It just feels a better watch! However the v3 does look amazing :) my watch maker has taken apart the bbr spider tourbillon and says the movement is not one of the best hes seen which sucks a bit. Still better to get this information before committing to a watch! Other than that chinese tourbillons seems to be pretty solid. Ive never had an issue with one and not many people seem to have had them.

Reactions: KJ2020

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
If you want to give them a go without shelling out $750 ive just found these unbranded bbr v1’s on ali for £360. Bit of a bargain really.
£403.40 90% Off | GUANQIN Skeleton Men watches Real Tourbillon Mechanical watch Real Sapphire clock Waterproof top brand luxury Relogio Masculino
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d66mDY8

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
If you want to give them a go without shelling out $750 ive just found these unbranded bbr v1’s on ali for £360. Bit of a bargain really.
£403.40 90% Off | GUANQIN Skeleton Men watches Real Tourbillon Mechanical watch Real Sapphire clock Waterproof top brand luxury Relogio Masculino
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d66mDY8

The pvd one looks really cool ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
The pvd one looks really cool ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the money I think they all look pretty good! Im considering getting one just incase the movement in either of my other two crap out. At least its wearable in the mean time!

Etretic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/1/17
Australia
Thanks for the review Doc, been thinking about selling my v1 and buying a v3 but I think I might keep the v1 having seen this (I can live with the extra gears which is why I got the watch in the first place despite the flaw!).

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thanks for the review Doc, been thinking about selling my v1 and buying a v3 but I think I might keep the v1 having seen this (I can live with the extra gears which is why I got the watch in the first place despite the flaw!).

I was in the same boat mate, thats why i got it in a different colour to my v1. Just incase i didnt want to sell it. Turns out it was a good call! Plus if you have a white pen you can buy the ones from ali above, write roger dubuis on it, and get another one for £360 :p

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
The gate tourbillon Bbr v1 is now £338 delivered with the summer sale and coupons... tempting!

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
This new release is interesting, I wonder if its the lighting as the original seems to have steel hands, but this new rep has dark hands.

Z343nc.jpg

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
This new release is interesting, I wonder if its the lighting as the original seems to have steel hands, but this new rep has dark hands.

Z343nc.jpg

Your right, the gen does look to have steel hands. That and it has a gator strap not rubber. Roger dubius do have a habbit of making very similar watches with small differences, so it may exist in gen with black hands. Not sure if ill be buying any more bbr watches until the quality goes back to where it was when they first started though. Of course they wont be making these movements, they just them from a supplier, but even the clasp has taken a huge nose dive in quality.

Reactions: THXuk

Boxtradamuz

Horology Curious
12/5/20
Damn... It's the worst day of my life...
I just accidentaly bumped in to something with the watch around my wrist. It wasn't even that hard, but when I checked, I found out that the little pointer from the Tourbillon has fallen off.
Also the clock stopped working... I don't know if the last has something to do with the pointer that has fallen off... But I'm really sad now.

Is there someone in this forum who had the same problem before?
Even more important: Is there anyone who can fix this problem?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Boxtradamuz that sucks mate! The pointer should be an easy fix but it depends on what damage has made the watch stop as to weather its worth it or not. My watch maker steve works on tourbillons but if the movement is shot theres not a lot that can be done.

Boxtradamuz

Horology Curious
12/5/20
Thank you for your reply. Is there a way I can contact your watchmaker and ask him what the chances are?

asuwere

2/6/19
Thank you for your reply. Is there a way I can contact your watchmaker and ask him what the chances are?

That little pointer might catch the spring under it. Could be why it popped off fairly easily and the watch does't work now. If so, probably an easy fix.

Toni-88

Horology Curious
17/11/17
Hello guys, I’m looking for a pre-owned one, someone is selling hers?