• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Roger dubuis excalibur tourbillon V3 vs V1 vs Gen review

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I have just ordered a V3 but I'm asking myself: How bad is the winding (and how can it still be that bad nowadays)?
Also: How many winds untill it is fully winded? 25-30? And does someone know the average power reserve from the V3?​

Its the worst winding watch ive ever owned. Ive had a lot of watches over the years. No idea how or why its so bad, might just be my one, but it feels terrible. I dont really count the winds but you can see the mainspring and feel when it gets full. Power reserve is about 1.5-2 days.

Gexwh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/20
Yeah i had a quick look too, diddly squat around. Even if there was I imagine your looking at well over £1000 for one which isnt ideal. I might try to modify the existing one and see if i can make it any better some how.
Impossible to find... Guess I will try to fix on my own. First thing would be to use an axe with little bigger diameter to eliminate play/slack.
No real issue on winding for me

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
Dr fun socks - would you ever consider having your watchsmith disassemble it so you can have a jeweler polish and champfer the edges of the skeletonized structure? Wonder how much it would cost and what it would do for the final piece. Going to pick up the V3 BBR at some point in the near future, now that my Breguet is back from repairs in China.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Dr fun socks - would you ever consider having your watchsmith disassemble it so you can have a jeweler polish and champfer the edges of the skeletonized structure? Wonder how much it would cost and what it would do for the final piece. Going to pick up the V3 BBR at some point in the near future, now that my Breguet is back from repairs in China.

Yeah my watch maker has actually offered to do this, but it came with the disclaimer it wont be cheap... its a lot of hand finishing for what is still a rep watch with a less than ideal clasp and in my opinion movement. But as ive said before, might just be me being anal, might just be my specific watch. Either way if anyone also happens to have a v1 and a v3 id love to hear their opinions.

Think of it this way, the work to make the chamfers plus recoating it after (otherwise the chamfers will be silver) your looking at somewhere between 1-2x the cost of the rep. As lovely as it would be, for me id rather just buy another watch. I dont think a little chamfering will make £1000 of difference to my life on a watch i’ll only wear occasionally. Your call though, if your eager to get an accurate quote pm me and ill send you my watch makers number.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Impossible to find... Guess I will try to fix on my own. First thing would be to use an axe with little bigger diameter to eliminate play/slack.
No real issue on winding for me

Where are you getting play/slack? The main issue with mine is you need to grab the side bits with a bloody vice to make them contact the balls and release the clasp. As much as im not a fan of the clasp its not exactly unstable once its on and closed.

Gexwh

3/3/20
Where are you getting play/slack? The main issue with mine is you need to grab the side bits with a bloody vice to make them contact the balls and release the clasp. As much as im not a fan of the clasp its not exactly unstable once its on and closed.
I don't understand your point but I think you speak about the locking mechanism of the claps? On my side, there is slack between the two metal pieces of the claps. No problem when it is closed...

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I don't understand your point but I think you speak about the locking mechanism of the claps? On my side, there is slack between the two metal pieces of the claps. No problem when it is closed...

Yeah i did a little tester on the v3 vs the v1. The middle point of the clasp definitely has more wiggle on the v3. I guess if you just clamped it in a vice a touch it might reduce this? Looks to be a riveted joint. But your right, on mine the parts that you press in to release the clasp are not right. One reaches the point needed to release the ball catch, the other doesn’t. Im thinking layer up some sticky back plastic, hit it with a punch the size of the release bar and stick it in. I could make something on my lathe but it seems excessive to make a bar 1mm or so longer.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
And heres why dhgate straps/inserts dont fit. The holes for the spring bar are miles off.

Gexwh

3/3/20
I contacted Orloff as you did. Gonna send everything.
Are you located in the EU doc?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I contacted Orloff as you did. Gonna send everything.
Are you located in the EU doc?

Yeah im in the uk. Just send him the strap if you have the tools to get it off. I just used a 1.2mm screwdriver and a spring bar tool.

Gexwh

3/3/20
Yeah im in the uk. Just send him the strap if you have the tools to get it off. I just used a 1.2mm screwdriver and a spring bar tool.
Sure, it is already off.
I asked black croco, I suppose you did the same

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Sure, it is already off.
I asked black croco, I suppose you did the same

Im getting brown croc for the rose gold v3 and black croc for the double tourbillon. You must have the silver version? Im actually kind of impressed by the strap on my silver v1 so im not desperate to drop >€120 to get a new one.

Gexwh

3/3/20
Yes silver. I take the opportunity to ask something for my Pam and iwc as well.
Regarding the v3, I am pretty sure that I will be able to improve the claps. I will send some news when I will do that

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yes silver. I take the opportunity to ask something for my Pam and iwc as well.
Regarding the v3, I am pretty sure that I will be able to improve the claps. I will send some news when I will do that

What are you looking to do out of interest? Other than making it actually open theres not a lot im really that concerned with. Cant exactly make the bit that protrudes any smaller.

Gexwh

3/3/20
Going to change some axes to reduce slacks. Horrible feeling when you give it to a friend to test it. It smells like cheap when everything is loose/wobbly

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Going to change some axes to reduce slacks. Horrible feeling when you give it to a friend to test it. It smells like cheap when everything is loose/wobbly

Id suggest just snugging up the riveted joints first but let me know how it goes and what you do. Be good to get a few improvement suggestions and methods going on this thread. Ive got nothing but time until my strap comes back from orloff so ill be doing the same. Ill focus on the clasp actually opening though.

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Id suggest just snugging up the riveted joints first but let me know how it goes and what you do. Be good to get a few improvement suggestions and methods going on this thread. Ive got nothing but time until my strap comes back from orloff so ill be doing the same. Ill focus on the clasp actually opening though.

Awesome detailed review brother! Although V1 seems better in mechanics, id still prefer the V3 asthetically. Slight off topic, how is that Breguet holding up? It still chases me in my dreams.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Awesome detailed review brother! Although V1 seems better in mechanics, id still prefer the V3 asthetically. Slight off topic, how is that Breguet holding up? It still chases me in my dreams.

Thanks mate glad you enjoyed it! I know what you mean, after seeing both hand in hand you would be very hard pressed not to go for the v3. Might be expensive but a combo of the two (keyless and winding, even barrel from v1 because v3 has a stupid pointless notch in the barrel) clasp v1, strap v1 (if your not going custom). Then everything else v3.

The breguet is still ticking away, i was just wearing it yesterday actually. Ive had to reset it from over banking once more since i did it the first time, but that was after the last tyson fury fight. Maybe a lot a alcohol and much excitement leads to it over banking? If your a sedate person its a great watch though haha!

Reactions: Stuvetjee