• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

£30 SKX - Review

EthanJW

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/9/18
Cornwall
Hi guys,

I got this SKX009 from a popular Chinese site in lieu of a real SKX for the ever increasing price they demand since they were discontinued. Is it worth buying a fake of a watch when the gen costs less than most reps on this site? Here are my thoughts:

Disclaimer: I ordered the black version of this, not the pepsi and so have since received a full refund.

Photos:
I'll start with the NEGATIVES:

The jubilee bracelet it came on was too large. It has 8 permanent end links on both sides and will not fit a wrist smaller than 7 inches. Quality wise It has solid links with hollow end links, and a clasp that is pretty much identical to the one on my genuine SNZF. It tapers from 22mm to 20mm, whereas the genuine has a more dramatic taper.

The crown doesn't screw down. This isn't a deal breaker as I wouldn't bring this thing near water anyway. I've seen other reviews that have screw down crowns so this might be a bit of a lottery.

The bezel font is wrong. It uses the font used on the SKX015 instead of the SKX009 (10 as opposed to l0).

The dial has a sunburst effect which, although not like the gen, looks really nice. The 007 version, as seen in some other reviews, has a matt dial exactly as gen.

The day date wheel isn't aligned as well as it could be.

Drilled lugs (can be a positive, not found on the gen however)

The colours are slightly off, this would be null on the 007 version

POSITIVES:

Dimensions are exactly as gen, and case is finished to Seiko standard.

120 click bezel with a recessed lume pip (not as recessed as gen).

Hacking/handwinding - I would guess either a replica NH35 or a 2813.

Lume is just as good as my SNZF, and evenly applied.

CONCLUSION

To me, this is definitely worth the £30. It may not be a perfect copy, but it's a perfectly capable beater watch, as long as you don't get it wet.

Ruyvlogs

24/8/15
That looks so good, specially for the price. It looks like a Padi version of an skx. Can you share where you bought it? I was planning on getting an skx and change it for a sunburst blue dial like yours and this can save me some trouble

Sl4ve

Horology Curious
26/4/20
Songs like he made a WISH and it kind of came true. Hint hint

EthanJW

26/9/18
Cornwall
That looks so good, specially for the price. It looks like a Padi version of an skx. Can you share where you bought it? I was planning on getting an skx and change it for a sunburst blue dial like yours and this can save me some trouble

Search for 'Seiko' on Wish, there's plenty of them up there

mclane

31/10/18
If it has a better dial, it would be an instant buy. The rest looks not that bad. I have sold my sky some month ago and I miss it... Argh

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Looks like a nice modding base. Been thinking about doing a stealth SKX for a while now...