• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Roger dubuis double tourbillon by JBF review

CarmeloAnthony

17/5/20
Portland
Yeah which triple axis model are they making? Im guessing the $2000 model on trusty is this one, i made the thread, i have the watch.

I have no clue what watch its being developed for. I saw in a JBF RM thread (IDK how to share a post from another thread lol) that Reppist had posted images of a triple axis tourbillon successfully repped by China.

RawwR

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/8/20
London
Most watch makers wont touch regular chinese tourbillons let along a triple axis one. Theres one thing i do know, and thats that they will be very expensive when they do come out!

I can imagine why lol, the gens they have to take apart for this are worth ridiculous amounts, im still surprised they are doing this, this is such a huge business risk for them.
This might be out of price range for most rep enthusiasts. Also people with enough cash might be reluctant to buy due to reliability concerns.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I can imagine why lol, the gens they have to take apart for this are worth ridiculous amounts, im still surprised they are doing this, this is such a huge business risk for them.
This might be out of price range for most rep enthusiasts. Also people with enough cash might be reluctant to buy due to reliability concerns.

I dont think we’re the target market. There are a lot of newly very wealthy people in china who can possibly afford a gen triple axis tourby but choose to wear a rep for whatever reason. If its say $5-10k then its still $490k cheaper than the very cheapest of gen triple axis tourbys. Also there isnt a chance the factories are buying these watches to rep. They just do it from pictures using whatever movements the movement factories are churning out, possibly with small changes like a custom tourby cage.

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
You know, that begs the question - is the double tourby movement in the BBR the exact same as the JBF? Perhaps made by a third party supplier and sold to the two factories? I find it hard to believe that two factories would spend all the r&d to produce such a movement and both have it available for release within a month of each other

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
You know, that begs the question - is the double tourby movement in the BBR the exact same as the JBF? Perhaps made by a third party supplier and sold to the two factories? I find it hard to believe that two factories would spend all the r&d to produce such a movement and both have it available for release within a month of each other

You would think that, and the both appear to function in the exact same way (left tourbillon keeps no time) but there is definitely a brass gear visible at 9 oclock on the jbf that isnt there on the bbr. Hard to say without opening them both up.

molivio

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
Any idea what brand the triple axis would be ? MBF seems "easy"

RawwR

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/8/20
London
I dont think we’re the target market. There are a lot of newly very wealthy people in china who can possibly afford a gen triple axis tourby but choose to wear a rep for whatever reason. If its say $5-10k then its still $490k cheaper than the very cheapest of gen triple axis tourbys. Also there isnt a chance the factories are buying these watches to rep. They just do it from pictures using whatever movements the movement factories are churning out, possibly with small changes like a custom tourby cage.

That makes more sense, lots of rich whales in China :p
But also that Angus guy from PureTime said the makers actually dissect the gens they are repping, i don't think its possible to do it just from pictures, but they might be able to reassemble the gen back and resell it if they can get it to work again lol

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
That makes more sense, lots of rich whales in China :p
But also that Angus guy from PureTime said the makers actually dissect the gens they are repping, i don't think its possible to do it just from pictures, but they might be able to reassemble the gen back and resell it if they can get it to work again lol

Yeah on watches that cost less than this im sure they do. No way they are buying richard milles or roger dubuis just to rep. Rolex and some ap, 100%. The profit margins arent as big as you might think, and they arent selling them by the truck load. Just submariners they’re pumping out In huge numbers.

asuwere

2/6/19
I think Seagull has made a triple-axis tourby. Oh sorry, I mean dual-axis.

Last edited:

asuwere

2/6/19
Think ive seen that. Sits at 6 oclock on the dial? No doubt its not cheap.

I haven't seen an actual watch with one that they've made. I saw news a while ago that they got a patent for one so I'm assuming they have.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I haven't seen an actual watch with one that they've made. I saw news a while ago that they got a patent for one so I'm assuming they have.

I havent seen it in a finished watch but ive seen a video of the movement. From where the stem is, it looks like the tourbillon sits at 6 oclock and rotates on a horizontal axis. Heres a the video i saw, no sure if its the seagull one but its pretty swish.
https://streamable.com/2077j8

Last edited:

CarmeloAnthony

17/5/20
Portland
I havent seen it in a finished watch but ive seen a video of the movement. From where the stem is, it looks like the tourbillon sits at 6 oclock and rotates on a horizontal axis. Heres a the video i saw, no sure if its the seagull one but its pretty swish.
https://streamable.com/2077j8

Do you think it’s going to be like the double tourby and cost $5K to start (and eventually drop down as they get better at mass producing it), or do you think we’re potentially hitting $10K for a rep?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Do you think it’s going to be like the double tourby and cost $5K to start (and eventually drop down as they get better at mass producing it), or do you think we’re potentially hitting $10K for a rep?

No idea mate. All i can tell you is i paid less than half of that from a non td. At the end of the day its a bigger risk and you will be very worried when you send the money, but its your call. I know the margins on normal watches aren’t worth risking a non td but when i found out what i could get this piece for, it was hard to say no. If they put that bi axial tourbillon in a rep it will 100% be more than this double tourbillon though.

Reactions: CarmeloAnthony

CarmeloAnthony

17/5/20
Portland
No idea mate. All i can tell you is i paid less than half of that from a non td. At the end of the day its a bigger risk and you will be very worried when you send the money, but its your call. I know the margins on normal watches aren’t worth risking a non td but when i found out what i could get this piece for, it was hard to say no. If they put that bi axial tourbillon in a rep it will 100% be more than this double tourbillon though.

Yeah like I said before, Trusty has the double tourby for like $2000 now so obviously the $5000 price was just an insane margin. Hopefully we get the bi axial (lol) soon and its $5K or less.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yeah like I said before, Trusty has the double tourby for like $2000 now so obviously the $5000 price was just an insane margin. Hopefully we get the bi axial (lol) soon and its $5K or less.

Fingers crossed is all im saying! I think we both know until the movement is proven reliable by the early adopters, its too big of a risk for the td’s to sell at a small margin. Can you think of any watches with a biaxial tourbillon at 6 oclock? The rep market will be massively limited by this. The hublot mp-09 has the same layout but the tourbillon spins vertically. The gerard perregaux is also on a slightly slanted angle, and isnt really a mainstream brand so not worth repping. Get the feeling this movement was just developed to put in gen seagull watches.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarmeloAnthony

Dr.SA

Horology Curious
22/8/18
Fingers crossed is all im saying! I think we both know until the movement is proven reliable by the early adopters, its too big of a risk for the td’s to sell at a small margin. Can you think of any watches with a biaxial tourbillon at 6 oclock? The rep market will be massively limited by this. The hublot mp-09 has the same layout but the tourbillon spins vertically. The gerard perregaux is also on a slightly slanted angle, and isnt really a mainstream brand so not worth repping. Get the feeling this movement was just developed to put in gen seagull watches.

Talking yesterday with my friend and personal TD based in china, he confirmed to me (unofficially obviously), That the next triple axis watch will be the "BEXEI" model "PRIMUS".

580e04ac3644bbfefcd950ce40835d9b.jpeg
d72fcef6b345297a45a591816c7f70b8.jpeg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Reactions: Djsani26

molivio

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
Are those pics of the original or rep ?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Talking yesterday with my friend and personal TD based in china, he confirmed to me (unofficially obviously), That the next triple axis watch will be the "BEXEI" model "PRIMUS".

580e04ac3644bbfefcd950ce40835d9b.jpeg
d72fcef6b345297a45a591816c7f70b8.jpeg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Its a very interesting looking watch! Strange they have gone for something with three separate time dials, a power reserve and a fully engraved dial. Must of just said in for a penny, in for a pound! Ill admit it wouldn’t be the first watch id buy if i won the lottery but as with all reps it all comes down to price. I just cant see this being less than about 5k.