• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Roger dubuis excalibur tourbillon by BBR - Full review

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Its a pretty ghetto fix but what about just a layer of phone screen protector or something similar on the inside of the clasp where it touches your skin. Or laquer it? I guess the whole aim is dont let the nickel touch your skin.

Boxtradamuz

Horology Curious
12/5/20
Screen protector will let loose within days I suppose. When I received the watch I was doubting for a minute to leave the protection foil on the clasp for as a long as possible, but I thought that these clasps nowadays would be nickel free anyway... Wrong!!

Emailed Orloff to ask if he can make a strap with a nickel free clasp, but he doesn't think his suppliers would have one... Just emailed him back if he can make a strap with a regular (standard) buckle.
If he can do it, I can always replace the buckle for a titanium one.
I realize that I will lose all logo's and stuff, but that's less important then this skin reaction...

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Screen protector will let loose within days I suppose. When I received the watch I was doubting for a minute to leave the protection foil on the clasp for as a long as possible, but I thought that these clasps nowadays would be nickel free anyway... Wrong!!

Emailed Orloff to ask if he can make a strap with a nickel free clasp, but he doesn't think his suppliers would have one... Just emailed him back if he can make a strap with a regular (standard) buckle.
If he can do it, I can always replace the buckle for a titanium one.
I realize that I will lose all logo's and stuff, but that's less important then this skin reaction...

I think you would be surprised how long either screen protector or a similar but more sticky protective tape would last. Cant you get a stainless clasp or something? Hirsch make nice looking ones for about £30

Boxtradamuz

Horology Curious
12/5/20
Thank you for the Hirsch tip. I might give that a try. Will email them first to see what their opinion is about nickel inside of their clasps.
By the way: Is it hard to remove the original clasp?
Do you need some special tools to do that? And if I may be so kind to ask: The size of the strap on the side where the clasp is attached, is smaller than the other side of the strap. How do I choose the correct size? Is that the 18 mm where the clasp is attached to the strap?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thank you for the Hirsch tip. I might give that a try. Will email them first to see what their opinion is about nickel inside of their clasps.
By the way: Is it hard to remove the original clasp?
Do you need some special tools to do that? And if I may be so kind to ask: The size of the strap on the side where the clasp is attached, is smaller than the other side of the strap. How do I choose the correct size? Is that the 18 mm where the clasp is attached to the strap?

Its about 18mm both sides (18.25, 18.10) so an 18mm clasp wouldnt look silly. You just need two screwdrivers. I think one side has to screw out first, as its screwed onto the other pin, then that other pin is screwed into the body of the clasp. Double thread arrangement.

im still kinda tempted to get one of these to try. I guess you would have to get the silver one if its nickel free but its not too expensive so worth a try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163005343134

Last edited:

Boxtradamuz

Horology Curious
12/5/20
Thank you for your answer. They are quite nice actually. Please note that the one in your link is a folding one. If so, you probably would better pick the deployant with push pins.
But... Unfortunately I received an email back from Hirsch that they can't guarantee that there's a minimum amount of nickel inside there products.
I'd say I have to go for the Orloff Strap with a regular titanium buckle... I can imagine that the color difference from the titanium buckle will be blasted away by the huge look of the Orloff strap anyway.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thank you for your answer. They are quite nice actually. Please note that the one in your link is a folding one. If so, you probably would better pick the deployant with push pins.
But... Unfortunately I received an email back from Hirsch that they can't guarantee that there's a minimum amount of nickel inside there products.
I'd say I have to go for the Orloff Strap with a regular titanium buckle... I can imagine that the color difference from the titanium buckle will be blasted away by the huge look of the Orloff strap anyway.

As in to keep the original look the same? I dont really care, if the clasp feels better thats all that matters. Which buckle were you looking at? The colour difference of ti and stainless is pretty huge, titanium is a lot darker. But its on the opposite side of your wrist so it shouldnt matter too much. If you can actually wear it, its a good compromise.

Anadrol5

14/10/18
Because of small wrist issues I have been using this double folding clasp from Strapsco from day 1. Alot more comfortable than the stock single fold BBR clasp I would say.

John Nguyen

Looking Around
17/10/20
Thank you Dr Fun Socks for your comprehensive review. You make me love this watch and I have to buy one.

Yinan

Looking Around
1/1/21
Hi, may I know did you order from KS watch? do they have an official website? Also I was wondering what's your wrist size and is it 42mm or 45mm fits you better? Thank you!

Yinan

Looking Around
1/1/21
Wrist pictures as requested
ada9a3887f119255b57a613c92d1b64b.jpg
3af12886a8ade83287a89967304da512.jpg

May I know your wrist size? and how's the watch so far after 8 months?

Yinan

Looking Around
1/1/21

Here is my watch without blue AR. Maybe I am being over-sensitive but without the coloured tint it just dosent have the feel of a geniune watch.

May I know if that is the 42mm version and your wrist size? Considering get one for myself while I only have a 6.5 wrist, not sure if this is too big

Anadrol5

14/10/18
May I know if that is the 42mm version and your wrist size? Considering get one for myself while I only have a 6.5 wrist, not sure if this is too big

This is supposed to be a 42mm size watch but unfortunately BBR has inaccurately repped the size of this watch. The gen measures 42mm from bezel to bezel. This BBR rep measures 42mm across the case but 44mm bezel to bezel. It is therefore 2mm bigger than the gen watch. Please refer to my previous post in this thread on this issue. I bought this watch thinking that it measured 42mm.

I also have 6.5 inch wrist and I personally find the watch a little too big for the purpose which this watch is supoosed to serve. This is especially so after I tried on the gen watch which, again, measures 42mm. 42mm is a much better size for a formal tourbillon/skeketon watch.

Last edited:

Gexwh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/20
May I know your wrist size? and how's the watch so far after 8 months?
16.5cm If i correctly remember

The watch is still working perfectly. However i do not use it every day (not at work)