• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Roger dubuis excalibur tourbillon by BBR - Full review

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Just discovering this one and it looks absolutely stunning. Is the 42mm x 11mm as listed by TDs exact and accurate?

Yeah its accurate. Its one of those watches that wears smaller than its size though. Think the opposite of a 42mm roo.

Reactions: TidusKun

TidusKun

Renowned Member
28/9/19
R Factory
Yeah its accurate. Its one of those watches that wears smaller than its size though. Think the opposite of a 42mm roo.

Mind sharing a video of your one? :) I go for 39-43mm usually, so this size and thickness is great.. and don't have a tourby yet

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Mind sharing a video of your one? :) I go for 39-43mm usually, so this size and thickness is great.. and don't have a tourby yet

If you can tell me how no problem. But im not making a you tube account haha.

Anadrol5

14/10/18
Just discovering this one and it looks absolutely stunning. Is the 42mm x 11mm as listed by TDs exact and accurate?

This is my first ever post in any forum.

I received mine in steel about 2 weeks ago. The 42×11mm is a little misleading. The case is indeed 42mm but bezel to bezel it is actually 44mm which is a little bigger than i thought. I dont know if the genuine warch is also this size or a mistake by BBR. The thickness is indeed about 11mm.

From my point of view the biggest drawback of the watch is a lack of coloured tint on the crystal. Although the crystal is AR coated it is clear AR. To my knowledge all genuine Roger Dubius Excalibur watches have a strong blue or purple AR tint. For this reason i think it is an instant tell to people who know RD watches.

The other obvious misreplication i can pick on is that the cut out on the bezel is a little too deep compared to the genuine watch.

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
This is my first ever post in any forum.

I received mine in steel about 2 weeks ago. The 42×11mm is a little misleading. The case is indeed 42mm but bezel to bezel it is actually 44mm which is a little bigger than i thought. I dont know if the genuine warch is also this size or a mistake by BBR. The thickness is indeed about 11mm.

From my point of view the biggest drawback of the watch is a lack of coloured tint on the crystal. Although the crystal is AR coated it is clear AR. To my knowledge all genuine Roger Dubius Excalibur watches have a strong blue or purple AR tint. For this reason i think it is an instant tell to people who know RD watches.

The other obvious misreplication i can pick on is that the cut out on the bezel is a little too deep compared to the genuine watch.

How do you like the watch though? Did you get the v3? I think if your hanging around with people who have >£100k to spend on a watch, the last thing they care about is the colour of your ar :p i was considering getting a prof, but i think the stock ar isn’t actually that bad. I know its not a perfect watch, no rep is, but i think bbr did a great job on it overall.

Anadrol5

14/10/18
How do you like the watch though? Did you get the v3? I think if your hanging around with people who have >£100k to spend on a watch, the last thing they care about is the colour of your ar :p i was considering getting a prof, but i think the stock ar isn’t actually that bad. I know its not a perfect watch, no rep is, but i think bbr did a great job on it overall.

Yes, I did indeed get the V3. Overall, for my own reasons, I am a little disappointed with the watch.

Replica watches are bought by people of all walks of life for different reasons. But in my opinion we all have one thing in common: we want the watch to look like the genuine watch. For this reason, to me, the most important aspect of any replica watch I buy is that the external parts must be replicated well. With this watch in question, the inner mechanisms of the watch such as the tourbillon and skeletonisation etc. are all as good as can be expected in a replica watch. However, it bothers me that the most obvious external parts have been neglected.

My guess it that it is all deliberate so that they can sell a future V4 and further versions. It is the same reason why no Natilus and Aquanaut reps to date use the correct white colour lume. It would not have been hard for BBR to have tinted the crystal blue just as it is not hard for factories to use the correct hue of white lume on its Nautiluses and Aquanauts.

BTW, does anyone know if its possible to colour-tint a crystal that has already been clear AR coated?

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yes, I did indeed get the V3. Overall, for my own reasons, I am a little disappointed with the watch.

Replica watches are bought by people of all walks of life for different reasons. But in my opinion we all have one thing in common: we want the watch to look like the genuine watch. For this reason, to me, the most important aspect of any replica watch I buy is that the external parts must be replicated well. With this watch in question, the inner mechanisms of the watch such as the tourbillon and skeletonisation etc. are all as good as can be expected in a replica watch. However, I bothers me that the most obvious external parts have been neglected.

My guess it that it is all deliberate so that they can sell a future V4 and further versions. It is the same reason why no Natilus and Aquanaut reps to date use the correct white colour lume. It would not have been hard for BBR to have tinted the crystal blue just as it is not hard for factories to use the correct hue of white lume on its Nautiluses and Aquanauts.

BTW, does anyone know if its possible to colour-tint a crystal that has already been clear AR coated?

If it bothers you that much there are people who do ar coating. Sonil in the uk (on the forums) has a blue hint to his ar. Prof is very nearly invisible with a touch of blue on flat crystals in the right light. I guess if it sells well there will be more versions. Just consider that over 10 versions of submariner have been made by
noob and its still not perfect. This is less than 1% of the price of the gen and disregarding the geneve seal standard of finishing its well over 90% as good. Most people are happier with clear ar but i guess to each their own!

Gexwh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/20
Do you have a picture of what you mean with blue ar?

Gexwh

3/3/20
Great. I understand.
But I have to admit that you need to know what you should looking for to see that.
It is a point for future improvement, for sure.
On my side, it does not bother me

Anadrol5

14/10/18
Great. I understand.
But I have to admit that you need to know what you should looking for to see that.
It is a point for future improvement, for sure.
On my side, it does not bother me

What I said was it is an instant tell for people who know Roger Dubuis watches.

Anadrol5

14/10/18

Here is my watch without blue AR. Maybe I am being over-sensitive but without the coloured tint it just dosent have the feel of a geniune watch.

Reactions: TidusKun

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17

Here is my watch without blue AR. Maybe I am being over-sensitive but without the coloured tint it just dosent have the feel of a geniune watch.

Have you held a gen in your hand? I honestly dont think you would ever notice it other than in very bright sunlight at the right angle. Normal complaints for reps is too much blue tint...

Gexwh

3/3/20
I like it! I am not a big fan of rubber strap but... That's only my opinion

Anadrol5

14/10/18
Have you held a gen in your hand? I honestly dont think you would ever notice it other than in very bright sunlight at the right angle. Normal complaints for reps is too much blue tint...

Yes I have. I'm not saying the watch is worthless, just that i find it really strange that the factory woukd neglect such an obvious aspect of the watch. At the end of the day, to each his own I suppose. These are just my (perhaps worthless) take in the issue.