• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

(Cross post from noob forum) - Am I missing something here? (Reps of Roger Dubuis Excalibur)

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
Original post:
So in the last week or so I've done a lot of reading and learning. From what I understand, a skeleton model watch rep can never be 1:1 to a gen, because it would have to use the same movement as the gen rather than an off-the-market movement.

My understanding of this was reflected in the differences between the Excalibur Rddbex0392 seen on Trusty Time and the Gen

Imgur album of the two watches here

So on the 0392, you can clearly see that the gearing behind the lattice is completely different in the gen versus the rep - the rep has these extra gears sitting up in the 9-12 o'clock zone that don't exist in the gen.

But then when you look at the Excalibur Rddbex0393 on Pure Time and the Gen, the overall appearance of the gearing looks just about exactly the same. And YET, the damned hands on the rep don't have the slot cut out of them like they do in the gen.

So how does it happen that a high end skeleton watch model can have a rep whose movement is so close to the gen that it looks the same, and yet they can't even get the hour and minute hands right? Am I missing something with the gearing?​

Now since then I've been reading through old threads on this forum that mentioned RB watches - particularly this thread about the BBR rep, and this thread about JB's rep

The 0393 I linked above appears to be the JB version as the movement is compared to the photos shown in those two threads above. Is this a newer version, though? In those two threads immediately above, both of the reps show the mainspring while that is not visible in the gen watch. The 0393 I was wondering about on Pure Time though appears to have fixed that.

Would love to hear people's thoughts - there doesn't seem to be a lot of information available on RB reps as far as I have been able to tell, unfortunately.