• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MB and F legacy machine reveal

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
In the video when it's closed up the shot, you can tell the blue hands are has poor quality finished. WTH are CY factory thinking??? I think this factory won't been make rep any longer because they wast money to rep bad quality rep and won't selling good because this idiot mistake they made.

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
Putting aside all the shortcomings of the watch, has anyone actually acquired this piece? Any feedback on the quality of finishing and first impressions (or a review)? Which color did you choose?

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
Well, nobody has responded so I pulled the trigger myself and ordered the blue version. Even though I find a lot of the faults made by CY to be inexcusable, I just like MB&F and want to try this model out. I will report back once I get it.

Reactions: csthe and Almog

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Well, nobody has responded so I pulled the trigger myself and ordered the blue version. Even though I find a lot of the faults made by CY to be inexcusable, I just like MB&F and want to try this model out. I will report back once I get it.

pretty sure you did the right thing as long as you can live with the flaws and of course know them in the first place.

This is what it is all about - to seek the advantage of reps when the better alternative is only the gen which got its benefits in every manner - no question.

Looking forward to your review!

Almog

Known Member
22/5/18

You are the real MVP.

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
pretty sure you did the right thing as long as you can live with the flaws and of course know them in the first place.

This is what it is all about - to seek the advantage of reps when the better alternative is only the gen which got its benefits in every manner - no question.

Looking forward to your review!

Thanks. I am certainly not trying to fool anyone that this is a gen, so the decision was made easier. And I actually want a watch with the split escapement.

Will report back once I have it.

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
You are the real MVP.

We'll see. I am buying this mainly because I like it but, if this is the last time we see MB&F reps (which could happen if the sales of this model bomb), it may actually have some value in the future :).

Reactions: XLR8R

Almog

Known Member
22/5/18
We'll see. I am buying this mainly because I like it but, if this is the last time we see MB&F reps (which could happen if the sales of this model bomb), it may actually have some value in the future :).

I like how you think.

Hope it'll be delivered quickly, I've been watching some videos of this rep on youku and man... It's becoming more and more tempting, regardless of flaws and all.

https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDA4NTI2MTY3Mg==.html?spm=a2h0k.11417342.soresults.dtitle

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
Hey PeteB, got QC yet by any chance mate?

I did. I had to reject the first one (it had a totally different rotor than was advertised), but the second one looked decent so I gave the green light.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
OK, here are a few images, together with my initial impressions:

1. The watch looks very handsome on the wrist. It is definitely a conversation starter and catches the attention of others.

2. There was concern on the board that the date does not automatically change, but requires user input. I can definitely confirm that the date automatically changes at the stroke of midnight like clockwork (pun intended). The pusher at 8 o'clock also changes the date, identical to the gen. The seconds hand going two times faster actually makes the watch more engrossing to watch - too bad they just didn't put the counter for 0-30 instead of 0-60. However, I knew about that issue going in, so I can't complain. The accuracy clocked in at +5.8s/24 hr,pretty acceptable for the new Shanghai movement. The difference in the escapement geometry is there, but is less visible during normal operations.

3. The dial is spectacular under different lighting conditions (my images do not do it justice).

Here is the dial in sunlight:

And under indoor lighting:

3. The 3-D aspect of the subdials is less pronounced than in the gen, but it is definitely present, as can be seen in the close-up image of the dome below:

All, in all, my first impressions are very positive and the piece looks like "a million bucks" :)!

bpbp

Renowned Member
14/12/13
USA
The movement finished is nice, but the buckle mark is not deep enough what I expect, and the mark on the crown seen like not center?

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
The movement finished is nice, but the buckle mark is not deep enough what I expect, and the mark on the crown seen like not center?

It is centred, it's just the angle of the photo.