• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

will there ever be a grand seiko rep?

skjol

Horology Curious
23/5/22
Thanks for the review and for the video! The dial does look rather mesmerizing :mez:

repwatchertd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/22
Netherlands
Oh really….

a790c9fc5f4d3758f8dba35158825dae.jpg

Tell me that’s not a beautiful watch. I WANNA HEAR YOUR LIES

This spec is found here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004278121337.html

The radial GS lettering is way off though. Would they have cracked the 36k beat?:rolleyes:

Reactions: Jlayal

fpi87

Known Member
3/11/20
Belgium
Speaking of names and branding...

Grand Seiko dates back to 1960, it's a relevant piece of history that is inseparable with Seikosha (the original Seiko name) and the Japanese are proud of it. While I do agree that from a marketing & business standpoint, it's easier to cross sell under a different name (tudor -rolex, lexus -toyota), but the whole point of Grand Seiko was to revive the old Seikosha days and take inspirations from the designs back then (44GS, 62 GS cases, high beat etc.) , when the connection is so strong, it's better to use that as a selling point instead of "hiding" the roots for marketing purposes.

Imo, people that can't get over the "seiko" = low tier mindset is just a "victim" of marketing and media and do not really appreciate how and why Seiko mattered in watch history in Asia. But ofc, that's just my opinion.

Reactions: joeyc

jovame

Known Member
29/3/12
No replicas afaik, but homages are available...

Of course they're not in the same universe as GS, but nevertheless I get some GS vibes from my Seestern.

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
Piggybacking on this thread. All the aforementioned links are dead for the Grand Seiko Snowflake dial. I have an itch for this watch dial colour so I I started asking some of the reputable aliexpress seller if they can procure one for me and eventually found a seller. There were a few other models but I went for the snowflake blue dial (ref SBGY007) with a ST2130 movement along with a sapphire glass and closed caseback. Other options for the movements are ST1612 or Seiko VH13. Cost 165$. I'll come back with a review once I receive it.

tonykastaneda

Looking Around
19/12/19
Piggybacking on this thread. All the aforementioned links are dead for the Grand Seiko Snowflake dial. I have an itch for this watch dial colour so I I started asking some of the reputable aliexpress seller if they can procure one for me and eventually found a seller. There were a few other models but I went for the snowflake blue dial (ref SBGY007) with a ST2130 movement along with a sapphire glass and closed caseback. Other options for the movements are ST1612 or Seiko VH13. Cost 165$. I'll come back with a review once I receive it.

Mind if I ask who the seller is? Im also really interested

Reactions: Hesekiel

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I'd say a GS is as understated a watch as it gets. My quick research showed that the price of entry for a GEN is not too bad either:

GS on eBay
$1,285 including shipping from Japan for a GEN?

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
I just don't get it what people like about Grand Seiko's. There is none i would wear, just not my cup o tea i think.
+1

Also the argument here is "they will never be able to rep the details so they won't even start repping" is utterly flawed. My guess is more trivial: there's no demand, simply not enough to warrant a MOQ from factories to start working on.

Reactions: Feefo and domiffm

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
Mind if I ask who the seller is? Im also really interested

goodwatches . aliexpress com

I have his phone number as well, he's pretty quick to answer on WhatsApp and accepts wire transfers, but I am not sure about the rules here so best to DM me. I would wait until I get the watch though and review it.

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
I received the watch this morning. I swapped the strap for a thinner one, I want to wear the watch more casually anyway. The strap quality of the rep isn't that bad as some other reps I have to add.

Highly subjective mini review coming up.

Now going back to the watch, the dial is indeed mesmerizing and the finishing is great as well, no rough edges or anything like that, the way it picks up light and the slow sweep of the hands (mind you, the ST2130 has a beat rate of 28800) is trully magnificent and splendid to watch.

It has a screw down crown and there's a phantom date meaning you have to pull the crown twice to adjust the time. GS logo is present.

The movement looks pretty clean and judging by what pics I saw of the ST2130, it looks to be the same movement. If someone wants to add some more color, I like aesthetics more.

Glass is supposedly sapphire but I don't have anything to test it but might do that later on.

I'll follow up later in the week on how the movement holds.

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
8/5/22
EU
How's the case finishing?
I notice that the "JAPAN..." writings on the bottom of the dial appear to be on a straight angled line instead of aligned to the round curve of the dial. Strikes me as odd as it somehow doesn't fit the design. But that's really being picky, the font is quite tiny and imperceptible at arm's length...