• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

will there ever be a grand seiko rep?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
This is my opinion, however, to me a grand Seiko you buy for the spring drive movement and its beauty, not for the nameplate like a lot of other brands. Putting the 36k bph movement to side, I doubt the replica makers could come anywhere close to the visual beauty and finish of one in person. Also not many besides watch enthusiasts would even know about Grand Seiko. This is one case where I think that having a replica would be pretty much pointless as you'll be missing the whole point. I think it's for this reason that they haven't made one as of yet.

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
Trying to rep a GS is like trying to rep a Patek, almost pointless.
There is just no way you can match the fit and finish ot the gen.

Exactly. I am happy to own 2. Mine aren't even high beat or Spring Drive but aside from that, the finish on the gen will never ever be replicated by rep factories. The way light dances off the minute hands etc is incredible. I am personally looking to add more Grand Seikos to my collection. While typing this I am actually wearing my SBGX093.

DominickDecocco

Known Member
7/3/18
awesome!

yeah i feared your answers but i already knew..
tbh i dont care too much about the spring drive or the movement in general but i just like the look so much. not in my budget anyway

Reactions: Yadda Yadda

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
Trying to rep a GS is like trying to rep a Patek, almost pointless.
There is just no way you can match the fit and finish ot the gen.

Maybe even harder, the finish the feel and the quality are just pure Japanese precision, don’t get me wrong I love my Mercedes, the feel, the heavy doors the quality of the interior materials, but my Lexus is a better truck all around, it’s precision and reliability. The finish is even better

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
6/1/08
Nyc
It’s the quality of the finish that amazes me, made my datejust feel like a piece of crap, not that it’s not, plus that high beat movement, you don’t buy that watch for the name
theres a reason my avatar is a snowflake, I’m a big omega fan too give me a dark side of the moon speedmaster any day over a Daytona

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
I just don't get it what people like about Grand Seiko's. There is none i would wear, just not my cup o tea i think.

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
Supporter
21/8/21
Canada
Oh really….

a790c9fc5f4d3758f8dba35158825dae.jpg

Tell me that’s not a beautiful watch. I WANNA HEAR YOUR LIES

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Oh really….

Tell me that’s not a beautiful watch. I WANNA HEAR YOUR LIES

Dial way too busy, puffed case which look like some sort of Omega on steroids, pointy hands dont match the hour markers at all with the minute hand looking too short? Bracelet design looks like being pulled from a regular Seiko watch. again, these are my opinions no lies. I know plenty of people like them and i dont doubt their finish ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperLory and joeyc

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
Supporter
21/8/21
Canada
Dial way too busy, puffed case which look like some sort of Omega on steroids, pointy hands dont match the hour markers at all with the minute hand looking too short? Bracelet design looks like being pulled from a regular Seiko watch. again, these are my opinions no lies. I know plenty of people like them and i dont doubt their finish ;)

giphy.gif

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
I just don't get it what people like about Grand Seiko's. There is none i would wear, just not my cup o tea i think.

I can't speak for others, but what I like about my Snowflake (and GS in general) is....

1) The dials - which to me are mesmerizing. Certainly, the details on my snowflake dial are subtle yet stunning, giving me so much pleasure as I often get lost simply staring at it.

2) The finish - as has been said, the level of finish on a Grand Seiko is simply unmatched at this price (perhaps any).

3) The tech...The spring drive is a marvel, and the smooth sweep a joy. But even the cheaper quartz movements are top-notch. The torque in which the quartz ticks is fantastic.

Overall, I feel the precision of GS is unmatched, at least in watches that I can justify (under £10k), and GS offers a product that is punching above its weight. In terms of quality of the product between, say a GS and a Rolex, then there really is no comparison. The GS blows Rolex out of the water.

Garygarykun

Horology Curious
21/6/21
Tokyo, Japan
I can't speak for others, but what I like about my Snowflake (and GS in general) is....

1) The dials - which to me are mesmerizing. Certainly, the details on my snowflake dial are subtle yet stunning, giving me so much pleasure as I often get lost simply staring at it.

2) The finish - as has been said, the level of finish on a Grand Seiko is simply unmatched at this price (perhaps any).

3) The tech...The spring drive is a marvel, and the smooth sweep a joy. But even the cheaper quartz movements are top-notch. The torque in which the quartz ticks is fantastic.

Overall, I feel the precision of GS is unmatched, at least in watches that I can justify (under £10k), and GS offers a product that is punching above its weight. In terms of quality of the product between, say a GS and a Rolex, then there really is no comparison. The GS blows Rolex out of the water.

The dial and the polishing/finishing are indeed marvelous. It’s a lot better than the Gen Rolexes I own/pre-owned.

I find myself staring and admiring the dial more than other watches. Side by side comparison with some gen PP and AP my friends own, although not for that long, Grand Seiko still stands out.

Having said all these, in my opinion, there are some very obvious flaws:
* the case is a lot thicker
* overall weight balance is not as good as Rolex/PP/AP
* watch lug, end link recess, case shape not as “beautiful”
* bracelet needs huge improvement
* movement/calibre not as stable

Still, for the price you pay, it’s a magnificent watch no doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party

as a former white birch owner i fully agree. The design language is definitely lacking for me. Finishing is good but not stellar, IMO at market prices, i would do a JLC instead