• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

will there ever be a grand seiko rep?

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
as a former white birch owner i fully agree. The design language is definitely lacking for me. Finishing is good but not stellar, IMO at market prices, i would do a JLC instead

cannot get past that Seiko on the dial... call it snobby they are just not my thing. lol

Emma_Earl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/12/18
Oh really….

a790c9fc5f4d3758f8dba35158825dae.jpg

Tell me that’s not a beautiful watch. I WANNA HEAR YOUR LIES

holy fufu, what ref is that beauty..??

Garygarykun

Horology Curious
21/6/21
Tokyo, Japan
The dial and the polishing/finishing are indeed marvelous. It’s a lot better than the Gen Rolexes I own/pre-owned.

I find myself staring and admiring the dial more than other watches. Side by side comparison with some gen PP and AP my friends own, although not for that long, Grand Seiko still stands out.

Having said all these, in my opinion, there are some very obvious flaws:
* the case is a lot thicker
* overall weight balance is not as good as Rolex/PP/AP
* watch lug, end link recess, case shape not as “beautiful”
* bracelet needs huge improvement
* movement/calibre not as stable

Still, for the price you pay, it’s a magnificent watch no doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86000814952d982981cd17aa25ef965e.jpg

7cef2a41c6229bfdf1fb525b5ede194d.jpg

fb9e4a01ecd9cddc903598ee5dd12859.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GGEuroHEADSHOT

DamienV

Known Member
1/3/20
France
I stumbled upon a new REP reference on Aliexpress while browsing.

More videos and pictures from the seller: https://imgur.com/a/KNkzDc9

Interestingly enough, it seems powered by a Seagull ST1612 movement which is a bit better than your average shitty rep movement.

I ordered one (ice blue version) for around 130 € (for science) and I will do an extensive review of it when I get it.
GS5.jpg

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
I stumbled upon a new REP reference on Aliexpress while browsing.

More videos and pictures from the seller: https://imgur.com/a/KNkzDc9

Interestingly enough, it seems powered by a Seagull ST1612 movement which is a bit better than your average shitty rep movement.

I ordered one (ice blue version) for around 130 € (for science) and I will do an extensive review of it when I get it.
GS5.jpg

Would you plz be so kind as to provide the link?

DamienV

Known Member
1/3/20
France

Got it today, the dial is really nice but it's difficult to capture how light plays with it in video with artificial lighting.

I will share a more lenghty review in a few days since I don't have much time right now.

Reactions: GGEuroHEADSHOT

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Oh wow. That actually looks great. We’ll wait for your review on the overall quality, feel, look etc....and how it compares with the so called 1:1 factory reps we buy.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

DamienV

Known Member
1/3/20
France
No, it was a random black leather strap. I removed it to clean the watch and switch it later.

DamienV

Known Member
1/3/20
France
I had the opportunity to wear the watch this week-end and I must say I'm quite impressed by the quality for this price (130€). Here is my short review of the product.

I was never aware of a GS REP besides the cheap Wish quartz ones so I was quite interested when I randomly saw this one from one specific seller. I have no idea where it comes from or why he is the only one selling it but it took a few days between the chat, the order and the shipping so I guess he does not have a stock.

Now, to sum up the watch, it's a beautiful fantasy piece. It looks like a weird SBGA407 without the date and the power reserve.

But, and it's a big but, it really has the GS vibe I also get when looking at GEN in Paris:
- The dial is really something. I would dare to say it's better than the expensive dial I bought from Lucius Atelier to make custom watches ;
- The finish is quite good for this price range but obviously it's nowhere near GEN. I will let you judge for yourself from the video/pictures.

Feeling aside, I'm ashamed to say I was not able to capture the depth of the dial either in picture or video. There is something about how the dial play with light which makes it go from a strong ice blue to a really pale one depending on the light source. Also, constrat is not homogeneous, some "patch" are lighter and other darker. It's quite mesmerizing and I did not get that with the Lucius Atelier snowflake dial.

This is really making the difference for me and it has become one of my prefered watch for that reason.

It's around 12mm thick (taking into account the protruding glass) and 39mm in diameter.

As you will see, they reproduced almost exactly the SBGA407 case with the protruding curved glass. I don't have a tester but I bought the mineral glass model, it seems you can pay a bonus to get a sapphir one with closed caseback.

The movement is a Seagul ST1612 it seems. It's advertised as such and looks like one. It's not a dirt cheap movement for this price range so that's already something.

My only concern is that's a 21khz movement and that's not butter smooth as you would expect a GS to be. Obviously, I will never reach the spring drive range but I wonder if I could replace it for another 28khz Seagul movement granting the hands are compatible. I have to dig a bit into the Seagul movement offer to see if something could be done in this regard.

-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
jd0iMY.jpg
jd0WK3.jpg
jd0oDD.jpg
jd0a1s.jpg
jd0qok.jpg

Rubiss

19/9/21
hello friends

What is the size of the o'ring gasket waterproof of the grand seiko sbgx263 case?

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace

I went Gen today. Pics really don’t do it justice. It really is a work of art. I think she’s a keeper.

She definitely is !

I saw them in the flesh....stunning dial, stunning quality, stunning movement.

Who says that Grand Seiko are overpriced....well, probably has never seen a GEN one.

Reactions: ibnsammy

red_loon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/9/21
Does anyone know of a working link? The previous AliExpress one is broken.