• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Konstantin Chaykin - Joker new release

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
"Dracula" has more elaborate mechanism, the "fangs" coming out for a night time and stay hidden during the day. Cool feature that makes this watch unique.

Reactions: vcappp

Almog

Known Member
22/5/18
"Dracula" has more elaborate mechanism, the "fangs" coming out for a night time and stay hidden during the day. Cool feature that makes this watch unique.

Sincerely I can't decide if that makes me like the watch or hate it. So confused right now.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Is the strap expensive to you guys? I understand there are a few extra straps of leather stitched on and that’s not necessarily easy, but usually rep straps are $40-50 tops. I guess demand a narrower market dictates the price this time. So ~$500 to get the complete rep, but it’s a 42mm thick-ish watch. I am having a hard time deciding on this one.

As as it is, the eyes don’t have the nice rounded/raised feature of the gen which is really cool and captures light in a great way.

operator10

Horology Curious
23/6/18
Is the strap expensive to you guys? I understand there are a few extra straps of leather stitched on and that’s not necessarily easy, but usually rep straps are $40-50 tops. I guess demand a narrower market dictates the price this time. So ~$500 to get the complete rep, but it’s a 42mm thick-ish watch. I am having a hard time deciding on this one.

As as it is, the eyes don’t have the nice rounded/raised feature of the gen which is really cool and captures light in a great way.

Agreed - this is my grail watch, and I can't justify the price for the strap at all. I think they know that there aren't any good aftermarket equivalents for such a niche piece, and this is one of those instances where the strap makes the watch markedly more special.

In all, while I can live without the rounded eyes, for me, it's the AM/PM over moonphase that's stopping me from going ahead.

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
In all, while I can live without the rounded eyes, for me, it's the AM/PM over moonphase that's stopping me from going ahead.

The Rep functions exactly like the Gen....so not sure what is your point here?

In preparation of ordering one, I must have gone through 500 online pics and a dozen vids of this watch, and I must say the Rep and Gen are really close.

Also Konstantin himself remarked on Instagram as it being a "high quality" Rep.

Main differences:
- Pupils are slightly more inward on the eyes on the Rep
- Rep Crown and Gen are slightly different shape
- Rep case back says PROTOTPE, where some GEN's are numbered 1/99-99/99 and some are marked with the PROTOTYPE marking
- Need the Rep in my hands to judge the quality of the wave-like guilloche pattern on the dial compared to the Gen, as hard to judge from vids and pictures.

Don't care for the tie version of the strap. Think it pushes the watch into a joke watch area over being an interesting slightly weird Joker watch.

There are also some slight imperfections on Gen versions of the watch I have seen online. Not surprising considering Konstantin's relative low-tech production environment. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKrpvGT68Mg

First time I saw the watch I thought; what a joke......but the more I watched it, the more I liked it. And from liking, it goes to wanting as it adds so much fun to my watch collection. Just thinking of ordering the watch already put smile on my face.

Bit hesitant about the possible reactions the watch might get. I say this in a positive way. As I think wearing it will produce many smiles.....

Last edited:

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
He's referring to the moonphase, the disk on the rep rotates 1 circle in 12 hours. The real moonphase rotates full circle in a month.

Don't think of it as a moonphase.....it's a mouth, and then it makes sense to make it circle more often then once a month.

It's called out of the box thinking.

If you look at the watch that inspired him (which did have a moonphase)....it's easy to see how the idea came to him.

konstantin-chaykin-baselworld-religion-time.jpg

nirvana0002

Known Member
7/3/18
Don't think of it as a moonphase.....it's a mouth, and then it makes sense to make it circle more often then once a month.

I am only stating the difference between gen and rep, not how it should be. You said "The Rep functions exactly like the Gen", which really isn't, that's all.

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13

If you look at the watch that inspired him (which did have a moonphase)....it's easy to see how the idea came to him.

Actually it is a moon phase complication on the GEN. That is why I've previously asked if the left crown button works. The "mouth" on the rep works as 24hr indicator.
Here's the video how it works on the GEN.

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
Actually it is a moon phase complication on the GEN. That is why I've previously asked if the left crown button works. The "mouth" on the rep works as 24hr indicator.

Understand what you are saying.

Will check with Rep once I have it in my hands.

Konstantin-Chaykin-Joker-movement.jpg

Last edited:

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
Just completed QC process with Ryan.

Pieces shown were free of defects and of high quality.

I saw more defects (quality issues) on pictures of Gen items.

Can't wait for watch to arrive.

Reactions: Captain.morgan

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
The rep example on Intime has the pupils of the eyes smaller than the Gep and more to the inside of the eyeballs.

See here:

konstantin-chaykin-joker-ss-joker-dial-green-inner-bezel-on-black-leather-strap-nh35a-.jpg

The rep version I approved had the pupils closer in size to the gen and almost at the same location as the gen. Very similar to the video above.

What is a bit strange, that in the video above, the rep shown has the serial nummer #60/99 (or similar) on the case back, where the rep I approved has the wording "prototype" on the case back. Like the example on Intime:

konstantin-chaykin-joker-ss-joker-dial-green-inner-bezel-on-black-leather-strap-nh35a-.jpg

This suggests they have updated the case back in a new production run??

On the gen I also see examples with the prototype wording and examples with the serial number?

With the pupils now being very close to the gen the only tell on the dial is the slightly different font of the Konstantin Chaykin wording on the rep.

From the video the colors and the wave pattern on the dial are really close to gen.

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
I think that the crystal in the rep is not good enough. Too thick? Gives distortions and milkiness at an angle while gen is clear even at extreme angles.

Captain.morgan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/17
IMHO the rep glass is not so good quality however it needs to be checked in real life

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

berry25

Certified
26/2/17
been told mines been received by my seller. just need to decide if i want the tie strap or not . 50/50 if it makes the watch look a bit childish