• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Concord C1 - Experiences Anyone???

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
Hi all,

New to the hobby but incredibly addicted after only a short period of time. I've been researching heavily on this fantastic group and I'm considering a couple of reps:

Concord C1 (black)
Breitling Bentley 6.75 BIG DATE (black)

So far I've been trading PMs with a few solid dealers here (hont, WBK, T4D) so I feel I'm going to the right sources, but I do have some questions and I feel I may be burdening the dealers with them.

Both the above are chronos, for my first rep I'm not sure whether to go for a working chrono or faux-chrono:

1) What do the subdials do on faux-chronos?
2) Am I correct in that the 7750 movement is for a working chrono or does that vary?
3) Any thoughts/experiences on the above two watches? Look, durability, functions, etc.
4) Any movements that I should absolutely avoid???

FWIW I'm leaning towards the Concord C1 faux-chrono as my first rep, looks like I can get one in the $130 - $150 range + shipping. Reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
I've decided on Concord C1. It appears to be available in three configs:

- Asian 7750 @ 28800bph (working chrono) w/ sapphire crystal
- Asian 21J @ 21600bph (faux chrono) w/ mineral crystal
- Japanse Quartz (working chrono) w/ mineral crystal

The Asian 21J and Quartz are similarly priced, Quartz is $20 or so cheaper. I'd like to avoid Quartz due to loss of smooth-sweep.

Worth the double the price of the 21J to upgrade to Asian 7750 which also gets sapphire crystal? Or is the 21J a decent movement? This is my first rep.

Thanks!

melfice

Horology Curious
8/12/08
I am also stuck in this question.. I dont know which version model to chouse :cry:

Maybe - Asian 21J @ 21600bph (faux chrono) w/ mineral crystal ? If case quality near Asian 7750 than I dont mind to buy this replica. I dont need much chrono hmm... :roll:

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
melfice said:
I am also stuck in this question.. I dont know which version model to chouse :cry:

Maybe - Asian 21J @ 21600bph (faux chrono) w/ mineral crystal ? If case quality near Asian 7750 than I dont mind to buy this replica. I dont need much chrono hmm... :roll:

Yeah, the chrono function isn't superbly important to me - it appears however that the same case is used for the C1 in the 21J and 7750 models which is encouraging. I'm leaning towards the 21J.

Really it's the question of will the 7750 keep better time and last lots longer than the 21J. It looks like many people have had good luck with the Asian 21J. If it were a 7750 @ 21600bph then I'd definitely go with the Asian 21J, however I hear that the 7750 @ 28800 is quite a good movement.

I'm wondering also if the sapphire crystal vs. mineral crystal will make a huge difference in the overall look of the watch.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Depends on how much of a stickler for accuracy you are. The A7750 watches are the best for accuracy, despite what the dealers' listings claim.

Also, the quartz models have the running seconds function at the wrong subdial. That may not have bugged me much 3 years ago when I started collecting reps, but it does now. The subdial is small so the ticking movement isn't as noticeable. It will be when you run the chrono, though. The other thing I don't like about chrono quartz models is they usually turn one dial into a military time indicator. Big departure from the genuine.

The 21J models have faux subdials. That wouldn't be so bad if the running seconds dial was where it was supposed to be, usually at 9:00 but sometimes at 6:00. Too bad that's not done that way. Instead, the leave the chrono hand running and the subdials either do nothing but flop around or they turn them into day/date indicators. Again, big departure from the genuine. IMO, once you have a real chrono watch you'll never be happy with a chrono where the big second hand runs 24/7. I have a friend who lives in Paris and he says the owners of gen Daytonas leave the chrono function running to let others know their watch isn't a fake. Outside of Paris though...

Some say they can look at a crystal and tell whether it is mineral or sapphire. I can't. AR can certainly be noticed and the cheaper versions usually don't have AR or it's no where near as good as it is on the A7750 model.

If you're not a stickler for accuracy, the cheaper models are okay. Once you've collected for a while, though, you'll be selling them all as their flaws will become too great to overlook.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Go for the best.

Rest assured, if you begin collecting replicas you will just end up getting rid of anything with Faux chronos or quartz movements.
Also keep in mind that most of the cheaper reps are mineral crystal with no anti-reflective coat.

Long term you will be much more happy spending a few more dollars on a quality replica which functions like the genuine article.

jj69

Renowned Member
1/12/06
I have to agree. I have no idea why you would even consider anything but the best version of a rep unless money is a limiting factor. In addition to the points others have made, keep in mind that most watch collectors don't take quartz watches seriously - not even gens. Furthermore, the Asian 21 jewel movements used in most reps aren't always the greatest. Unless a rep specifically states that it comes with a high-beat DG movement, a Seagull ST-18, or something similar, I would not expect that movement to last long.

Another important factor is the crystal. Do not overlook the importance of a sapphire crystal, and it has nothing to do with appearance. The important thing is that sapphire is practically indestructible. It has harder to scratch than steel. Mineral glass, however, is another story. One wrong move of your wristd and the crystal will shatter to pieces. Personally, I avoid reps with mineral glass like the plague. As others have pointed out, sapphire crystals generally come with a much better AR coating, so that may contribute to the appearance factor you mention.

With a rep like the C1, the high end version is supposed to be amazing. It uses the A7750, but with the larger "Valgranges" baseplate, just like the gen. It has a correct custom datewheel, and all the markings on the watch are 1:1. The only thing you want to watch out for is that you get the "Best" version from the best factory that made the original HBB. Another factory was making C1 reps, but they used the much cheaper 21,600 version of the 7750, and some of them had the wrong datewheel. Good luck. That same rep is actually on my shortlist as well.

BurgerFlaggen

Renowned Member
1/1/07
United States
jj69 said:
...With a rep like the C1, the high end version is supposed to be amazing. It uses the A7750, but with the larger "Valgranges" baseplate, just like the gen. It has a correct custom datewheel, and all the markings on the watch are 1:1. The only thing you want to watch out for is that you get the "Best" version from the best factory that made the original HBB. Another factory was making C1 reps, but they used the much cheaper 21,600 version of the 7750, and some of them had the wrong datewheel. Good luck. That same rep is actually on my shortlist as well.

Thanks SO MUCH for the info, as this is one my "Next Three" list along with a nice Rad and maybe a Breit Black Steel.
I'd hate to drop the $$$ these reps are commanding and wind up disappointed.
I am a firm believer in spending the bucks on the front side and getting what you want out of the box (as much as possible).

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
One suggestion to the original poster. If you happen to have an authorized Concord dealer in your area, it's worth the trip to try on a C1 in person. Pictures really don't do this watch justice. It's certainly unusual, and not for everyone, but the build of the gen is amazing. And the AR on the crystal is the best I've ever seen on any watch. Lots of wrist presence.

Here's why I suggest trying on the gen. Once you do, I think you'll be swayed pretty strongly towards getting the high end rep. As others have said, there is a world of difference between the el cheapo 21j and quartz versions and the more expensive 7750. It's not just the movement (although that's obviously a big difference). The build quality is much different as well. The faces are NOT the same. The sub-dials in the cheaper versions are all wrong. And understand-- I'm not one of those people who is a stickler for accuracy to the gen (particuarly on a watch that 99.99999% of the world will have never seen or heard of). But I just think the high end rep looks much, much better aesthetically. Plus, the cheaper versions don't come with AR coating. And if you're going to get this watch, in my view, it's foolish to even consider getting it without AR. As I said, I have never seen a watch that AR makes a bigger difference. And I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of the AR coating on the high end rep.

So before you plop down $150 on the cheapo version, ask yourself-- is this a watch that you can see yourself wearing in a year or two? Or are you going to be disappointed and regret that you didn't spend the extra money and get the better version.

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
Thanks for all of the helpful information. I have had the gen C1 on my wrist in person and it is one of the most unique watches I've ever seen in my life.

For me, this would be my first rep. I was concerned about spending $300 for the C1 with the 7750 @ 28800bph for fear that I'd receive and within a short period of time I'd have to toss it into the trash for some reason. I've read about people losing the chrono pushers and not being able to find replacements, things like that which you'd hope not to see in a $300 watch.

While the 21J movement is not as reliable, I've read that it's not a bad movement plus it's half the cost of the 7750 hi-beat. Not only the movement changes though, you also lose the sapphire crystal for mineral crystal (although the dealer claims that there is AR on both the sapphire and mineral crystal faces).

The dials are also wrong (chrono subdials become month and military time - pretty useless) but I'm not planning on using the chrono. I believe that everything else is the same between the 7750 and 21J including the case.

Does anyone know whether or not the chrono second hand runs constantly on the 21J? This might be a deal-breaker!

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
No way I would buy the cheap ones. They are terrible. Go for the A7750 or burn the money. You will not be satisfied with the cheap stuff.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
guru said:
No way I would buy the cheap ones. They are terrible. Go for the A7750 or burn the money. You will not be satisfied with the cheap stupp.

Ditto! acegt1, get the C1 with the A7750 in less than a few days you'll say to yourself "Gee, I wish I had gotten the working chrono version", and then you'll get a nicer rep of another watch and the cheap C1 will be left behind, in other words, you're wasting your money on the cheaper version. I know you wanna hear someone say "Go for the 21/j or quartz version" since you posted:

acegt1 said:
I've read that it's not a bad movement plus it's half the cost of the 7750 hi-beat. Not only the movement changes though, you also lose the sapphire crystal for mineral crystal (although the dealer claims that there is AR on both the sapphire and mineral crystal faces).

Get the A7750 version and be happy with the most accurate version, not the most inaccurate.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
acegt1 said:
Thanks for all of the helpful information. I have had the gen C1 on my wrist in person and it is one of the most unique watches I've ever seen in my life.

For me, this would be my first rep. I was concerned about spending $300 for the C1 with the 7750 @ 28800bph for fear that I'd receive and within a short period of time I'd have to toss it into the trash for some reason. I've read about people losing the chrono pushers and not being able to find replacements, things like that which you'd hope not to see in a $300 watch.

While the 21J movement is not as reliable, I've read that it's not a bad movement plus it's half the cost of the 7750 hi-beat. Not only the movement changes though, you also lose the sapphire crystal for mineral crystal (although the dealer claims that there is AR on both the sapphire and mineral crystal faces).

The dials are also wrong (chrono subdials become month and military time - pretty useless) but I'm not planning on using the chrono. I believe that everything else is the same between the 7750 and 21J including the case.

Does anyone know whether or not the chrono second hand runs constantly on the 21J? This might be a deal-breaker!

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure the stop watch second hand sweeps constantly. They do that on all 21js. But look, Acegt1, I'm not trying to get you to spend more money, and certainly the C1 7750 is overpriced, but I really do think that you're going to be disappointed with the quartz or the 21j, particularly since you've tried on the gen. If you liked the build, look, and feel of the gen, then you're going to like the 7750. The 21j and quartz versions are VERY differnet watches. it may be the same case as the 7750, but that's about it. Everything else is differnet. The fact, the hands, the sub-dials, the font, the crystal.... everything.

Here's my point. If you really liked the gen, and you're looking for a watch that looks and feels like the gen, then you're only option is the 7750. If you want a watch that looks kind-of-but-not-really like an homage to the gen, then get the 21j or the quartz. Look at it this way-- either you spend $300 now for what is really one of the best reps on the market, or you spend $150 for a pretty crummy rep that won't really impress you all that much.

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
OK I'm convinced! Too many credible members saying the same thing, can't ignore the truth. I'll be going for the Concord C1 w/ Asian 7750 @ 28800bph, sapphire crystal face.

I hear there was a Concord C1 with a 7750 @ 21600bph out there that wasn't as good. As long as I'm getting the 28800bph version of the 7750 is there anything else I should watch out for? For example an earlier post in this thread referenced problems with the date wheel in earlier versions of this watch. Not sure what that means or how to differentiate.

While I'm looking to purchase from one of the several trusted dealers here (so far Hont has been the most responsive), it can't hurt to be sure I'm getting the right movement to ensure I got what I paid for. What's the easiest way to determine if it is the hi-beat 7750 instead the low-beat 7750 once it's in my hands?

I'll also check the sapphire crystal with the water drop test.

I'm pumped - I'll post pics once I receive it. I want my first rep to be a quality one!

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
Done - ordered the A7750 @ 28800bph version from Hont this morning. Pretty expensive for a rep but I've heard amazing things about this one...

I would have loved to have considered other dealers but they were just too unresponsive for me. Hont's replies have been lightning-fast while I've gotten zero replies from some of the other trusted dealers here. I know it's a VERY busy time of year for these dealers, but I'm sure it is for Hont as well. Besides I've seen very few if any negative comments about Hont.

My first rep - I'll post pictures once I receive it!

Many thanks to all of you who have helped, directly or indirectly, this forum is filled with invaluable information.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
acegt1 said:
Done - ordered the A7750 @ 28800bph version from Hont this morning. Pretty expensive for a rep but I've heard amazing things about this one...

I would have loved to have considered other dealers but they were just too unresponsive for me. Hont's replies have been lightning-fast while I've gotten zero replies from some of the other trusted dealers here. I know it's a VERY busy time of year for these dealers, but I'm sure it is for Hont as well. Besides I've seen very few if any negative comments about Hont.

My first rep - I'll post pictures once I receive it!

Many thanks to all of you who have helped, directly or indirectly, this forum is filled with invaluable information.

Hont is a great dealer, and you ordered a great watch. Seriously, I know it's tempting to buy a cheaper version, but over the long term, you'll likely be disappointed. In fact, I just wrote about my experiences with cheap reps and how they ended up costing me much more over the long term:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47805&start=0

So yeah, $300 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend for a rep, but if you like the gen, you're going to be impressed with this rep.

BurgerFlaggen

Renowned Member
1/1/07
United States
Has anyone bought or handled the RG version?
I like the looks, but don't want the disappointment if the plating is 1 molecule thick, and rubs off with a moist towelette.

-edited to correct spelling in case our resident schoolmarm AHW happens by, ruler in hand.
-edited once more to correct a misspelling of her name, which would certainly invite the thunder.

geo1nah2a

Known Member
29/9/06
!

I have the C C1 A7750.
It is a great watch. I did't expect it would get that much wrist time as it does! A lot of nice details in it. Face is multileveled and nicely done (but kind of hard to read the time.. a thing that the Gen is at fault none the less) The back is prefect. I would even call it one of the most spectacular I have seen in a rep. Strap feels heavy, clasp is correct. :) It is a super rep, at a good price.. If it had a H hanging on the wrong side of the Chrono Seconds (read Hublot), it would cost twice that.

BTW I have already the urge to get the RG version of it :)

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
Re: !

geo1nah2a said:
I have the C C1 A7750.
It is a great watch. I did't expect it would get that much wrist time as it does! A lot of nice details in it. Face is multileveled and nicely done (but kind of hard to read the time.. a thing that the Gen is at fault none the less) The back is prefect. I would even call it one of the most spectacular I have seen in a rep. Strap feels heavy, clasp is correct. :) It is a super rep, at a good price.. If it had a H hanging on the wrong side of the Chrono Seconds (read Hublot), it would cost twice that.

BTW I have already the urge to get the RG version of it :)

Glad to hear that - I haven't seen many members talking about owning or wanting the C1. I'll admit, it's a divisive watch, you either love it or hate it. I'm happy to hear that you've been so pleased with the quality of yours, did you get the 7750 lo-beat or hi-beat?

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does RG mean?