• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ORF Seamaster 300M movement pictorial; unidirectional autowinding and other differences from VSF

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Hello,
I had an ORF Seamaster 300M on the bench recently. It was the first one I've serviced in comparison to many VSF's. Here are some thoughts and observations on the movement aspect of it. I recently purged a lot of photos, so I'm a bit lacking in VSF movement shots at the moment.

Both movements are decorated A2824's. My general impression is that VSF uses higher quality clone A2824s. For instance, VSF uses balances with Lyre style Incabloc shock protection found on higher end grades of 2824, vs ORF's Novodiac shock spring. General fit, finish, and cleanliness is also better on the VSF movements.

The automatic rotor is attached differently from VSF. I actually prefer ORF in this regard, as it has no glued on decoration to fall off.

ORF:

IMG-20220113-150843987-2.jpg

VSF:

IMG-20201130-113013972.jpg

The decorations are also handled differently. VSF is one large piece that fits over the 2824 and attached with 3 screws under the dial. ORF has smaller plates that attach directly to the 2824. The nod goes to ORF here as the movement is much easier to access for repair or regulation than on VSF.

ORF:

IMG-20220113-153822878.jpg

IMG-20220120-122837889.jpg

VSF:

IMG-20201130-113448590.jpg

Now, what I consider the biggest difference, is how the automatic bridge has been altered in the ORF. I believe this was to improve the look of the decorated movement. One of the reversing wheels was removed, the bridge has been cut and altered, and a click spring installed. This makes the automatic winding system on ORF's unidirectional only.

IMG-20220114-094230889.jpg

IMG-20220114-094057327.jpg

IMG-20220113-162107792.jpg

IMG-20220113-162046714.jpg

There are also custom parts there that won't be available to replace.
Functionally you won't notice a difference in winding or power reserve, but unidirectional movements like the 7750 and Miyota 9015 often get labeled as "loud and helicoptory" as the rotor has less resistance in one direction.

I'm not sure how to end this, other than I hope you find that interesting.

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Certified
5/2/22
EU
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Overall will you prefer to work on vsf or orf ? Seeing what you r observations are I guess is vsf

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
I have just ordered an ORF version thinking that the VSF models would no longer be available new.

I have always assumed that 'decorated' meant a marked up rotor and maybe an engraved bridge, or plate. I was not expecting changes to the automatic works.

If the poorer quality A2824 in the ORF were to fail would you see any reason it could not be replaced with a genuine eta 2824?

Thanks for this post.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Interesting read! Good to know what to expect if one wants to access the 2824 core of the movement. Thanks for sharing.

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
If the poorer quality A2824 in the ORF were to fail would you see any reason it could not be replaced with a genuine eta 2824?

Thanks for this post.
Other than the obvious altering of the auto bridge it would work fine. I’m guessing it would need to be swapped over to the new movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 40mm

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Overall will you prefer to work on vsf or orf ? Seeing what you r observations are I guess is vsf

My money would go to VSF every time.

At the time I had the movement apart, I wasn't stopping to think if it could be replaced. My fear is that you'd have to be able to drill and tap screw holes in the ETA plates in order to add the decorations on.

Reactions: 40mm

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Great insight… assumed that both movements would be the same considering price point and no real need to make changes as these factories would likely share stuff anyways.

I guess the VSF stuff may be better long term then whilst the later stuff by ORF / HRF may be aesthetically more pleasing.

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
Functionally you won't notice a difference in winding or power reserve, but unidirectional movements like the 7750 and Miyota 9015 often get labeled as "loud and helicoptory" as the rotor has less resistance in one direction.

I have just received my ORF 300M Seamaster and found that the rotor is indeed very loud. It sounds like a tin can being kicked down the road. The movement winds nicely, but there is a lot of free play when setting the time, and I often have to try multiple times to get it to hack. I am inclined to replace the movement even at the expense of loosing some of the decorations.

On the other hand, it looks stunning, and fine adjustments on the clasp are very smooth.

!

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I have just received my ORF 300M Seamaster and found that the rotor is indeed very loud. It sounds like a tin can being kicked down the road. The movement winds nicely, but there is a lot of free play when setting the time, and I often have to try multiple times to get it to hack. I am inclined to replace the movement even at the expense of loosing some of the decorations.

On the other hand, it looks stunning, and fine adjustments on the clasp are very smooth.

!

no joke, one of my 7750 watches had rotor noise, tried very carefully lubricating the rotor with quality lubricant, helped but not perfect, removed the rotor completely with a simple screwdriver in a minute, enjoyed the watch as a manual wind ever since.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
My pre raid VSF seamster 300 isn’t exactly whisper quiet either. When you shake it you can hear the rotor easily.

Buy a $2 blue ball. Figure out what type of lube to use like mobius or something. Use a very tiny amount.
it will help a bit.

Last edited:

aggiedds

Horology Curious
20/4/22
Texas
As I’m just getting into watch repair, I’m probably off here - wouldn’t it be possible to replace the automatic winding works with one from another a2824 movement? Should fit if no extra screw holes - which I didn’t see any of. Looks like it still fits under the esthetic parts too.

Damian-DG

Looking Around
9/9/22
This movement is interchangeable by eta 2824 clones like sea gull st2130 or pt5000?

I bought the seamasters 300 from ZF factory, and I don't know if in case of a problem I could replace it with the st2130. I do not mind losing the decoration.

stack

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/5/14
So, if I understood correctly the movement by ZF is bi-directional while that of ORF (and the others) is unidirectional but it's look prettier. So you have to choose between better quality and less noise (VSF) and better look (ORF)?
Am i right ?

jmfrank703

Looking Around
22/10/23
Can anyone help me find a replica 8800 coaxial movement for my seamaster planet ocean 43.5mm? Can’t find it anywhere.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Can anyone help me find a replica 8800 coaxial movement for my seamaster planet ocean 43.5mm? Can’t find it anywhere.
eboy-ralph.gif

Hello and WELCOME to RWI from the official reception desk team!

You are receiving this reply either because you posted in the "New members say hi" section or because I spotted one of your first posts elsewhere. In the latter case, please consider going to the aforementioned section and introduce yourself.

If you haven't already, please take some time to read the sticky threads in the new members section (all subsections) as they contain information for newbies and most importantly our forum rules! In particular, please take note of our sales rules, because you will be NOT yet eligible / allowed to sell as you need to meet certain criteria / be certified first.

A good starting point is this list of resources on RWI:

Also, this please take a look at this sticky thread:

If you need further help, please feel free to contact me or @Feefo!

We're always happy to help, but please allow some time for PM responses as we have lifes outside of RWI!

[Please note that this is NOT an automated message!]

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia

Well, there's an easy explanation for that: There are no replica movements that have a real co-axial escapement. All decorated clones as well as the super clones are non-co-axial even though it says so on the rep dials.