• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HRF Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial Review - Yellow

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
I picked up this nice newly released piece via an M2M sale from Pierre Le Trek - thanks for the great service. It was as-new and partially stickered, so almost exactly as it would arrive from a TD. Before we dive in, let's familiarise ourselves with the gen.

The Genuine Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial - Ref 326.32.40.50.06.001
ZJMX22.png

The Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial 40mm was launched by Omega in 2012 as the modern replacement for the Speedmaster reduced. It sported an RRP of $4800 on release. As its name suggests the watch measures 40mm across and 50.5mm from end link to end link. This makes it almost exactly the size of a Rolex Daytona. Where it differs from the Roley is in depth where the Speedy is much chunkier at 15.1mm. The watch is powered by a Co-Axial calibre 3330 - a chronograph movement with column wheel and co-axial escapement, based on the Longines L688, which in turn is based on ETA A08.L01. The A08.L01 is unusual since it is very closely related to the cam-switched ETA/Valjoux 7753 but with the chronograph functions completely reworked with a column wheel mechanism, vertical clutch with oscillating pinion, and self-adjusting two-armed reset hammer. It has a power reserve of 52 hours, a frequency of 28,800 vph and has a somewhat unusual adjustment arrangement.
ZJMdnE.gif

There is no screw-down on the crown, so you wind it with the crown in position 1 flush against the case, which makes it tight and awkward. At crown position 2 you adjust the time, while the date is adjusted via a pusher at 10-o-clock. Pusher A starts and stops the chronograph while pusher B resets it.

The subdials show seconds at 9-o-clock, minutes at 3-o-clock and hours at 6-o-clock, and the watch is water-resistant to a relative pressure of 10 bar (100 metres/330 feet). The sapphire crystal has an AR treatment on both sides.

Officially the Racing Co-Axia 40mm has been discontinued by Omega.

The HRF Rep
ZJsbE2.jpg

ZJsVyn.jpg

The first thing to say about the rep Racing Co-Axial is that it sports a different movement - in this case an A7750. This means the movement does not behave exactly as gen - the crown still winds at position 1, position 2 is used to quick-set the date and position 3 does the time. The pusher at 10-o-clock is present and correct but does nothing and is a dummy. Does this matter? That depends on if you are trying to pass it off as the real deal I guess, but for me not having to use a pen or tool to change the date is an improvement over the real deal. Hand-winding the movement is difficult - I would recommend just giving it a couple of rotations to get it going and then rely on the oscillating rotor to add charge to the mainspring which it does very well.
ZJsJ3E.jpg

The finishing on the watch body is excellent with nicely brushed flanks that move to polished shoulders before returning to a brushed finish that abuts the bezel, where the yellow and white tachy and digits pop beautifully against the black background. The dial is also beautifully finished with a vertically brushed finish on the grey background, yellow accents on the tachy hands and numerals and gorgeous texture on the subdials. I have taken a photo of the dial and superimposed it over the gen photo so you can see the dials are aligned extremely close to the genuine article. As is often the case with 7750 based watches the date wheel is recessed in this watch, but with a black background and a black sub dial it is not nearly as noticeable as, for example, the Breitling Navitimers that are similarly plagued with this issue. Will this put some off? Undoubtedly but for me its not really a big deal. Barely legible with the naked eye but nonetheless an embarassing oversight for this factory is that "SWISS MADE" at six-o-clock actually reads "SWIS6 MADE". However you really need a macro lens or a loupe to spot this error - by which point the sunken date wheel has already got you outed vs the genuine example. Crystal wise, things are just "OK". The quality is fine, but the AR is minimal and compared to the gen, which has 2x AR, this is a significant tell OOTB.
ZJsgcs.jpg

ZJuHeo.gif

Flipping the watch over we find a nicely engraved case back with the familiar speedmaster iconography, etched serial number and reference Si14, like the gen. Compared to the gen etching the fonts are not bold enough and are finer than they should be, but with numerous other compromises stated thus far, this is not really a big deal.
ZJuKrJ.jpg
ZJuZmY.jpg

ZJuhEP.jpg

Where things start to deteriorate considerably is the strap. The genuine example has a rounded trigger clasp where as this rep has an angled model carried over from the Aqua Terra range. The texture of the strap is very soft and pliable - perhaps too soft, but the pattern in the rubber is accurate and there are no rough edges. Where things fall to bits are at the "Speedmaster" text. The yellow is the wrong colour, being too pale and is poorly finished with the colour already looking like its ready to peel off. Those with existing Seamaster or Aquaterra reps thinking they can re-use a spare metal bracelet, sadly you are out of luck as the Speedy takes a 19mm bracelet. Those looking to order a gen strap should look for reference 98000416.

So where do we place this rep in terms of quality? In terms of the finish of the watch body and dial, I am going to give this Speedy an 8 out of 10 - deducting one point for the "SWIS6" error and one for the engraving on the case back. It is otherwise really excellent.

The rubber strap is a 5/10 - you need to do better here HRF - I am deducting 2 for the wrong clasp and 3 for the quality of the "Speedmaster" logo. I will be putting this piece on either a gen strap or maybe a yellow Rubber B to give it a premium look.

For the overall score, which is weighted heavily in favour of the overall feeling and accuracy of the watch I am giving it a 7 out of 10 - the finishing and weight is premium, the rotor is not offensively loud by any means and, although the fake pusher at 10-o-clock is a big tell, it feels like an Omega. Why only a 7? It is back to the strap - easily fixed, perhaps, but OOTB the flaws here mean it needs replacing, and that considerably impacts the overall value for money of this rep. At $358 from your TD of choice it is by no means badly priced, but that puts it into direct competition with the best Seamasters and this simply has bigger flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy737

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Further to my moaning about the strap I have ordered one of these - and will report back on how it compares to the HRF model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pierre Le Trek

Pierre Le Trek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/3/19
UK
Excellent post my friend. I look forward to hearing more and seeing your pics when the new strap arrives.

Reactions: pistebasher

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Fantastic review mate. I’m really tempted by the black version.

The black version avoids two issues I have with this yellow one:

1. No accent colour on the strap to screw up
2. No SWIS5 issue.

With these two key problems sidestepped I would say it's the best option and would be an 8.5 /10.

Reactions: Freoguitar

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
After some reflection on the strap, I realised that it is actually the "wrong" colour yellow and poor print that are the real issues. Rather than burn £50 on a replacement on Ebay that might be no better I instead thought I would have a go at re-painting the existing model. Rubber is a tricky surface to paint, so I went with an Enamel based paint for this project - specifically MATT 99 from Humbrol. I carefully masked off the surrounding and dry-brushed with the edge of a paint brush to minimise any pooling or overspill. It isn't quite Omega factory finish, but compared to the travesty before I am super pleased with the result.

Before:
After 1 coat

With watch

pablito123

Horology Curious
31/7/15
After some reflection on the strap, I realised that it is actually the "wrong" colour yellow and poor print that are the real issues. Rather than burn £50 on a replacement on Ebay that might be no better I instead thought I would have a go at re-painting the existing model. Rubber is a tricky surface to paint, so I went with an Enamel based paint for this project - specifically MATT 99 from Humbrol. I carefully masked off the surrounding and dry-brushed with the edge of a paint brush to minimise any pooling or overspill. It isn't quite Omega factory finish, but compared to the travesty before I am super pleased with the result.

Before:
After 1 coat

With watch

superflysocal

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/2/23
USA
The black version avoids two issues I have with this yellow one:

1. No accent colour on the strap to screw up
2. No SWIS5 issue.

With these two key problems sidestepped I would say it's the best option and would be an 8.5 /10.
HRF and HKF both have a metal bracelet version of this. What are your thoughts on the metal bracelet? Did you get or are going to order the bracelet?

superflysocal

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/2/23
USA
In your opinion how bad is the lume? Someone told me that they got an HRF with really bad lume, like you cannot tell the time at night bad. Can we get a pic of your lume?