• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seamaster 300M Ceramic - Movement Loose in Case

ShotsFired

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/19
My movement has come loose in the case. Has anyone had the same thing happen with theirs? I took the back off and it's not the case clamps. It's the whole movement holder (or whatever it's called) that is moving in the case. You can see the gap for the crown screw. The whole inside is moving including the piece with the opening for the crown screw. If it wasn't for the crown the movement and it's case would fall out.

I worry about it because you can see the dial and everything moving when you wind it and sometimes the crown binds a bit when screwing it down. Once the crown is screwed down things are solidly in place.

Can this be fixed and if so, how? I'd like to get it done the right way. I'm pretty handy myself and if it's too much for me I'm willing to get a skilled person to work on it. I just don't see how it's supposed to be held in place moreso than it is.
wCOCsZvYFh2MbaUi45X32AfZ3U5_5itZAsaB8CipY_I3dTXqoT-tlL79AM-NIQOa1RpgD3Flcl7FhT_ycLYAJNmo_mMXKLgZ5TZI2Utj40Nslv3MnvxX7lfJgtjDVdAeXSrEuaq9Dj6u9MqG-W2Qdwon2ggyW5jmCnFKs77oFexM_Ko6An0GMtO8TQ35YQBIYenTemaAHGC7TtK6WyCKiZaItQb-K6b7nOkgUNOjcgW6ZzeYxOTrPONDqoo6ypYN_5KBV3fyHI6kKPtoZf1i4GomcgmUCFseShNyp-w07TDgBqH_cEKhkjxVJqWwca3t_gBeIeMH9SuV6R88iLW5xphwOgzvVhSSc_yQ0XxEodbKQcPFxV-1Vjz7OvLyFhW6woPXiR14iowQ94M5sJR6ZZ8gQGXsZV-gpVQWeyiv61t6esi2KJae5vJBTFjru8RKvhK6NErfzFFr9zo0bY98gt9me38G-8xZ6inkCLNko45aPrPeOX5LW6LfyLdH8PWxbdMMF6Y1gaJh2Lc1pyC2FS2YT3lzwfvVbmvY2QFjJX7Rtksbe5CISzQwkiznkS_dlJ07ZalaWlLNihMgDCInv44Y-ZC_Tiu7msI4IPMBNrmwHLwMu_0CF-oiQstBMKD2rGtaDAML0D8e1jK93sICaKBNgUrbGnjkW9Ro1_BKSii3o6MnsoFbKnm6xGTmZw=w1248-h937-no

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
No pics . . .

I just repaired one of these for someone. A very badly designed solution to 'not same construction as gen' means there are 2 screws holding the movement in place inside the movement ring - these don't do their job because the movement ring has the wrong dimensions for the job.

There are then 3 clamp/screws holding the movement ring in place within the case.

You need to remove the case back and posty pics of the inside so that what is missing/moved is visible.

ShotsFired

19/4/19
No pics . . .

I just repaired one of these for someone. A very badly designed solution to 'not same construction as gen' means there are 2 screws holding the movement in place inside the movement ring - these don't do their job because the movement ring has the wrong dimensions for the job.

There are then 3 clamp/screws holding the movement ring in place within the case.

You need to remove the case back and posty pics of the inside so that what is missing/moved is visible.

Sorry about that. I used the wrong link for the image. This should work.

ACtC-3fGZsEMzgt8xrtXvuknXB9Go1GBVPK5ETEXccqpbWaTUXdytn2h0_H74uMsnpWGzbcs0BjPLJ5xqVZ-co74hwSSwTOzY-JO4VZyKMZ5qW6iWngLHtVLegIYB1svSw7uhU3bpYxorkNIsYKFXNTnQ4E89g=w1248-h937-no

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Not exactly the same system as the one I worked on but it's close.

What's on the other side, beneath the rotor ?

Do this as an experiment - you have the crown unscrewed, hold the watch firmly in one hand, gently pull back and forth on the crown whilst looking at the movement/ring - where is the lateral movement coming from, the movement inside the ring, or the ring inside the case ?

Also, if you have a small screwdriver and steady hands, check that those movement tab screws are firmly seated.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

ShotsFired

19/4/19
Not exactly the same system as the one I worked on but it's close.

What's on the other side, beneath the rotor ?

Do this as an experiment - you have the crown unscrewed, hold the watch firmly in one hand, gently pull back and forth on the crown whilst looking at the movement/ring - where is the lateral movement coming from, the movement inside the ring, or the ring inside the case ?

Also, if you have a small screwdriver and steady hands, check that those movement tab screws are firmly seated.

Thanks for the help! The tab screws are firm. It's the movement ring that's loose in the case. It will move a bit laterally or easily rotate circularly by moving the crown. Is there any way to snug up that fit?

I don't think it really matters, but here's the other side under the rotor:

ACtC-3dcBECDPCgypPICCKZMjmVzcf7pPm0LV0aPrJTXhvfvcKtXq4Zsxrk1Y3IkcfuaA4j2lKjsxsH58YMwrzBEALUCijt_ncT5uXPAPXZwbKQ1AkVoVVuSrgIJ1icadIVebBoxACQvi2Ei8hQJzDvAkH2JVw=w1250-h937-no

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks for the help! The tab screws are firm. It's the movement ring that's loose in the case. It will move a bit laterally or easily rotate circularly by moving the crown. Is there any way to snug up that fit?

I don't think it really matters, but here's the other side under the rotor:

Doesn't look to be anything holding that ring in place, so it's either a pressure fit or a rotate and lock fit, impossible to tell without having it in hand.

I would press down firmly on the movement ring with the tip of a screw driver (away from the balance wheel, and be careful not to slip) to see if the ring clicks down into the case a little bit more.

Also check to see if tightening down the case back down nice and snug helps any - the case back could serve the purpose of holding the ring down firmly in place inside the case.

If nothing helps then I wouldn't be overly concerned about it - the only risk is when you have the crown unscrewed, so just be extra careful when adjusting/winding with the crown unscrewed from the tube.