• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

Updog

18/7/19
Would there be any interest from Gen owners in buying replica dials of popular LE models (45th Apollo 13 Anniv Silver Snoopy for example) for a gen 1861 movement ?.

I’m talking with Angus from pure time to see if we can get one of our rep factories to make a batch of replica dials that will fit the gen movement/case. Our rep factories already make the Apollo 11 45th, Apollo 13 45th, Speedy Tuesday, etc. for the ST19 in pretty good quality (though with obvious wrong measurements) so it shouldn’t be too difficult to get them to port over some of that know how / experience into a dial fit for a gen speedy.

Would rather a rep maker step up to the plate with a rep speedy movement with proper dial spacing tbh

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Would rather a rep maker step up to the plate with a rep speedy movement with proper dial spacing tbh

As mentioned in past posts and threads

this is simply not viable economically, speedy pros are too numerous and affordable in the secondary market for a rep to succeed

the necessary development of that movement would be comparable to that of the noob 4130 for the Daytona and that’s a 600-700usd rep

while a 1861 is technically simpler than a 4130, in the rep game we’re likely to see the 1861 models cost more simply because they Daytona can move in huge volumes whereas the speedy can’t/won’t in the same volumes.

we like to think that here at rwi, repgeek, whatever that we are the rep makers’ target customers but we simply aren’t. Most reps made are destined for domestic consumption in China and China loves dem rolexes. Manual wind is also an inconvenience most don’t want to deal with and little value is placed on the whole moonwatch history thing. What we are i. This community is effectively a focus group / Outsourced quality control, helping identify flaws that others would miss and subtlety changing the direction of what’s popular/not. Rep makers though understand there are certain differentials in tastes and preferences which will not be bridged.

In light of this, as a rep maker would you conceivably grow hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars into development, tooling, inventory to make a rep priced at 600-700usd when the genuine used can be had all day long for 2000usd (and new grey market for 3500usd) pretty much anywhere in the world.

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Note that even though 4130 is technically more complex, it actually has less parts than the 1861 (201 to 234)

sure manufacturing costs are not simply a function of part count but it is related.

Reactions: jcagara08

Updog

18/7/19
If they can make a rep 4130, they can make a rep 3861. Would pay 800 any day for a decent rep with that clone movement.

Reactions: crunchycarrot00

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
If they can make a rep 4130, they can make a rep 3861. Would pay 800 any day for a decent rep with that clone movement.

3861 no chance

1861 maybe

They're not going to replicate the coaxial escapement, that's unrealistic to expect

Also it's again not about whether they can do it technically (as in technologically)

It's whether they can do it at a profit

You may pay 800 for a clone movement speedy but I doubt you're going to find another 50,000 people to do it with you which is probably what's going to be necessary to make it reasonably profitable

Also, even if, and it's a huge if, even if the projections are such that one could be reasonably expect to turn a profit on making the speedy super rep. Surely you must agree that it would be a slower seller than say a submariner rep. This is the business case that all the rep factories are tackling. Why make a speedy rep of I can make a sub rep and make 20x more money?

Ever wonder why every single factory has a sub coming out and why we get so much shady tactics by factories when it comes to subs but almost no one plays games with omega reps? (or literally any other brand excluding patek) is cuz those are the volume sellers.

You MAY be correct that there will be enough demand for a super rep speedy. I hope you are correct I truly do. Half of the watches in my collection both gen and rep are speedy pros. The problem is that the factories don't think so and until a bunch of people put their money where there mouth is, no factory is going to want to take the first step because it is business suicide. It's not even just the fact that they might lose money by not being able to recoup development costs, it's also the forgone profits from tying up all the machinery, tooling, staff, and all the other capital in the supply chain.

The noob 4130 and clone 3135, are examples of where the factories lead the market. Sure customers always say "I want clone movement" but these were on models where anyone and their grandma would know a clone movement would sell by the bucket loads. Do you think there is a business case to make a super clone movement for a tag heuer 1887? Even the gen is a heavily reworked seiko so it's not like we're reaching for the moon here. But the gen goes for 2000-2500usd all day long in the aftermarket, very similar to the speedy. I would expect every person that cries out for a super rep speedy to think that a super rep 1887 is a waste of resources but the numbers work out to be almost identical to the 1861. If anything, I expect the 1887 to outsell the speedy pro just because it is a automatic and most people don't like to deal with manual wind both green and rep owners.

Is really unrealistic to expect them to do this, I'm just trying to make sure people don't have silly expectations and are upset when they don't materialize.

I would love for the two factories to do some vintage handwound patek calatrava reps. It's well within their capabilities (simple as fk movements, no free sprung balance, no hacking, not even date complication, just traditional offset seconds) but again.. I know that they're choosing between allocating a production line (not literally, just development and production resources) to a sub, nautilus, royal oak, Daytona, etc.... And a vintage calatrava? Yes that calatrava is NEVER going to happen.

apeta

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/4/20
EU

I would do the same, but as crunchycarrot00 mentioned above, the rep manufacturers still need some tens of thousands of clients to commit to such a development.

Moadib

Known Member
18/7/19
UK
Would there be any interest from Gen owners in buying replica dials of popular LE models (45th Apollo 13 Anniv Silver Snoopy for example) for a gen 1861 movement ?.

I’m talking with Angus from pure time to see if we can get one of our rep factories to make a batch of replica dials that will fit the gen movement/case. Our rep factories already make the Apollo 11 45th, Apollo 13 45th, Speedy Tuesday, etc. for the ST19 in pretty good quality (though with obvious wrong measurements) so it shouldn’t be too difficult to get them to port over some of that know how / experience into a dial fit for a gen speedy.

This would be a good idea.
Sell a pack with a dial and a caseback (in case of Snoopy) and people could port over to their gen watch. In the case of Snoopy it would be worth buying a gen watch just to do that, given the mental prices!

emdeevee

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/13
Southern California
This one!!!!
1670cc63110b8302069ae19025ae836a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
3861 no chance

1861 maybe

They're not going to replicate the coaxial escapement, that's unrealistic to expect

They don't need to, why a co-axial escapement at all? The 3135/3235 clones don't have a free sprung balance w/ Microstella either. No one's trying to fool a watchmaker. What's needed is a hand-wound chrono that runs at 21.6k and has correct subdial positions. All Speedies with steel caseback are covered with this. Now give me my Speedy Apollo 15 rep... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatWhite

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
They don't need to, why a co-axial escapement at all? The 3135/3235 clones don't have a free sprung balance w/ Microstella either. No one's trying to fool a watchmaker. What's needed is a hand-wound chrono that runs at 21.6k and has correct subdial positions. All Speedies with steel caseback are covered with this. Now give me my Speedy Apollo 15 rep... ;)

Guy I was quoting cited 3861bspdcifically which differs from the 1861 crucially via the escapement

studlley64

Known Member
24/2/19
USA
Hey, has anyone bought this rep?
Thinking buying one, but I haven't found any reviews, and it says that the watch has a "Venus 75 Manual Handwind Chronograph movement" is it reliable?

me too if anyone has any reviews please, thank you.