• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

Palace

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/4/18
Germany
After reading for so long and understanding the history behind it, I really need one too.

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
My finished mitsukoshi!!!

VTxmwd.jpg

VTxaJK.jpg

VTxAzZ.jpg

VTxrXe.jpg

VTxBxT.jpg

Reactions: Harry69 and obrienk

Watchloverz

23/6/19
EU
Very interesting thread. Long to read but lot of information to know before buying one

Harry69

11/1/19
My finished mitsukoshi!!!

VTxmwd.jpg

VTxaJK.jpg

VTxAzZ.jpg

VTxrXe.jpg

VTxBxT.jpg
Wow...that's absolutely stunning.
the last picture makes it look perfect.
Top work sir.

20th July tomorrow..
I'm sure all moonies will be on the wrists of said owners in honour of Apollo 11..

Well mine will be for sure .

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Wow...that's absolutely stunning.
the last picture makes it look perfect.
Top work sir.

20th July tomorrow..
I'm sure all moonies will be on the wrists of said owners in honour of Apollo 11..

Well mine will be for sure .

Thanks man, it really is awesome

I've just sold it actually right before the anniversary. Already have parts on the way for the next one

Reactions: Harry69

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Yes, it will fit GEN movement.

I would stick with gen for speedmaster professional mod projects

Gens are relatively cheap and more economical given you're going to somehow need to get a gen movement anyways for any "Franken" that isn't simply using a gen bracelet for example.

lupinpopette

16/12/16

Gens are relatively cheap and more economical given you're going to somehow need to get a gen movement anyways for any "Franken" that isn't simply using a gen bracelet for example.

Yes but I already have the movement, I just struggle finding a case that isn’t overpriced and going with a rep case that is virtually the same for less would be a good option (only if the rep case is as good as the gen , which is why I asked)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Yes but I already have the movement, I just struggle finding a case that isn’t overpriced and going with a rep case that is virtually the same for less would be a good option (only if the rep case is as good as the gen , which is why I asked)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you get a movement alone?

Yes I wouldn't imagine a case is easy to be by on its own I can take a look at my rep case vs my gen but I'm 99%certain you can't mix the two, atleast not without modding further.

The dial height once installed between rep and gen is wildly different, side by side reps have a much more sunken look whereas the gen dial seems to be right near the crystal (remind me to take a few pictures for you). Though I've taken apart both my gens (dial mods) and reps (dozen 6oclock subdial mods) I've never looked at them side by side. I would say you'll need to do some mods to mesmerized sure the movement sits in the right place with a rep case, probably more trouble than it is worth.

HerGy

17/8/19
Hello everyone,
Been reading almost all pages here but left a bit confused :p
It seems like this question was never really answered (or maybe i missed it :eek:).
I'm looking for the best 1:1 rep out there of the classic version of the "Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch":

https://imgur.com/fuEbgRL

I saw on "Puretime" a hand-winding model (only the chronometer function doesn't work properly).

Could someone kindly point me to the one i'm searching for? it'll be much appreciated :)

Cheers~

Last edited:

Kayjay

2/7/19
Germany
Hello everyone,
Been reading almost all pages here but left a bit confused :p
It seems like this question was never really answered (or maybe i missed it :eek:).
I'm looking for the best 1:1 rep out there of the classic version of the "Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch":

https://imgur.com/fuEbgRL

I saw on "Puretime" a hand-winding model (only the chronometer function doesn't work properly).

Could someone kindly point me to the one i'm searching for? it'll be much appreciated :)

Cheers~

The one you linked has the wrong dial. It's dial belongs to a Speedmaster Reduced (compare the differences of the subdial alignment and the markers at 3 & 6 between Professional and Reduced.

interzonez

Known Member
16/5/17

Is that purely from a cost point of view? For example I've located a NOS 1861 movement at around 1200 USD. Plus - for example Mitsukoshi dial - at 1000 USD. A rep case brings the price to around 2600 USD including the new NOS dial and hands. A 1861 speedie alone would cost this much approx.

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Is that purely from a cost point of view? For example I've located a NOS 1861 movement at around 1200 USD. Plus - for example Mitsukoshi dial - at 1000 USD. A rep case brings the price to around 2600 USD including the new NOS dial and hands. A 1861 speedie alone would cost this much approx.

I actually just took a look at my rep vs my gens and they're not the same size

Reps are a bit thicker

Pretty sure this is because the stem is located at a different point between the 1861 movement and the st19

I'm not sure a rep case would even work now to be honest

Madmax283

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/1/16
Has anyone a Dark Side of the Moon? Is it relyable and how is the ceramic quality?

HSN

19/2/17
I'm considering picking up a VK Quartz "microstepper" Speedy.
I understand that this movement has a 0.5 Hz "ticking" second hand on the 6 sub dial (i.e.1 tick per second) - is this assumption correct?

If so, is it possible to "freeze" the second hand on the sundial without impairing the functions of the watch (i.e. minutes/hrs/chrono)?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I'm considering picking up a VK Quartz "microstepper" Speedy.
I understand that this movement has a 0.5 Hz "ticking" second hand on the 6 sub dial (i.e.1 tick per second) - is this assumption correct?

If so, is it possible to "freeze" the second hand on the sundial without impairing the functions of the watch (i.e. minutes/hrs/chrono)?

Yes, the seconds hand is at nine o'clock and is ticking on the VK movement. It's only the chronometer seconds hand that moves smoothly.

There are some manual wound cheap ones that have smooth seconds, and use a ST19 chronograph movement which is quite reliable. You might want to look for one of those. Or the one listed above from Puretime, which apparently is a very good quality watch. Obviously the sundials aren't close enough but the watch is more than good enough until a factory comes up with a clone movement (which could be never).