• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

G

img-20171127-wa0007.jpg

Raman

Horology Curious
10/6/13
How do you:

1. Replace the crystal with Hesalite? How hard is it?
2. Fix the 6'oclock dial so it doesn't move?

Ps I'm very mechanical inclined :) just want to avoid trial and error

membrelli

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/15
io dont know. The Lemania/seagull Daytona vintage has the hand at six frozen. I have seen all buiyers of the forum, but a Moonwatch frozen is not available. Incredible. Why ?

D

d4m.test

I just got the speedy tuesday fro ts-watches
Is it me or the bezel insert isn't as black as a gen one should be ?
71c896f9ee9383f506ce8b5dd7e106b9.jpg
322bfd1523cef94363c760ce592b44a1.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Update: changed the gray ceramic bezel came with the watch to a black polished metal bezel . What do you guys think ?
3fe3b06ab0ba1309855ffa95a4c35faf.jpg
95885657e825e570767420fcf3013742.jpg
7dd42d8b3057386938a04d8820034cb8.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

carl oldham

Horology Curious
11/1/17
First off, the quartz version of the Speedy is probably the most convincing rep so I understand why you picked that one. As a nice bonus, they typically don't cost as much as the manual wind version.

Omega 1171 bracelets do come up on ebay, but they usually bring as much or more than Ofrei will charge for them! If you looking for a deal on a used one, I see them on WUS sometimes in the $175 range that are still in great condition. They go fast though, so be prepared to earn your savings by checking often. :)

The Moonwatch was what got me into reps in the first place. I ordered two indentical 21J Speedmasters, then sold one of them to you in unworn condition. The thread has been deleted, but you may remember I only had 9 posts the time and had never sold anything on the forum and had never used paypal either. That seems like ages ago now! Below is a picture from the sales thread and you can see the subdials are recessed but the Omega logo is applied:

100_1361.jpg

I wore the twin to this watch for a while, then bought the manual wind ST19 version. Subdial spacing aside, it was a pretty darn good watch. However, I disliked the nearly flat crystal and swapped it out for a domed plexi. (I actually bought 3 plexis at the time and still have a spare, which you apparently don't need). Here are pictures of that one:

100_3776.jpg

100_3768.jpg

After a couple years of trying to be happy with the Speedmaster rep, I finally accepted defeat and saved up for a gen:

100_5233.jpg

The story should have ended there, but like yourself I didn't really like that damn bracelet. I looked at all sorts of options, and even bought a very nice croc strap for it, but in the end I wasn't happy. I really wanted a friggin stainless bracelet on there! I finally decided on the 1479 bracelet that was used in the 1990s, although the 1171 you're looking at was a close second. Here is a picture of the 1479 on my gen:

100_5771.jpg

I was very happy with this setup for about two weeks, and then this happened:

100_5500.jpg

The pin broke in a place that proved very difficult to fix, and the 20 year old bracelet doesn't have spares available. :cry: I sent the bracelet to Omega, and they told me that I was effed, but I could send them a mere $931 and they would immediately ship the new version of the bracelet (which I already have and don't like). I subsequently found a local watchmaker that is pretty skilled and agreed to attempt a repair. Hopefully he will get the thing sorted out for me, and I'll use this opportunity to refinish the bracelet. If not, I will probably have an 1171 on there before long.

Anyway, that response was way longer than I intended but I hope it helps!

Hi what was the size of the plexi u fitted??? A was it from cousinsuk??? Thanks

Sent from the RWI App

S.Corbeil

27/9/15
@thinh911 thanks for posting pictures of the new SpeedyTuesday! Been considering this one but you’re the only one I’ve seen posting pictures of this one! Looks better with the new bezel insert. eBay?

The subdials aren’t lumed like the gen, by any chance?

Thorium

Horology Curious
13/2/18
Looking for a way to have some replacement vintage DON bezels made. Possibly even a pre-moon caseback with proper engraving and pearling too. Anyone know who to contact?

micrascope

Looking Around
15/7/16
I'm looking at maybe getting a speedmaster moonwatch and noticed many on here are recommending the quartz model from Toro as being a fairly accurate replica. Is that the $128 one listed on his website?

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
Any news lately? Have they put professional on the dials or fixed the quartz subdial printing? Any newer releases worthwhile?

magoohkg

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/15
Professional isn't the issue if you go for an early version look!

fildef

Horology Curious
24/5/14
I am thinking buy one speedmaster profesionnal moonwatch. What is actually the best replica? Quartz, Lemania or Venus 75? Thanks.

Sic4531

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/18
I am thinking buy one speedmaster profesionnal moonwatch. What is actually the best replica? Quartz, Lemania or Venus 75? Thanks.

From what I've seen here, it depends what you're looking for. The quartz seems to be closest to appearing gen, but lacks the movement of a mechanical watch.

Reactions: fildef