• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a speedmaster moonwatch? Info inside!

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Does anyone know of a dealer who can source an Omega Speedmaster Pre-moon watch?

I know I know. Moon watch reps aren't great. I already have a PO so I want a semi decent Moon watch. Doesn't have to be perfect, just reasonable. What I'd really like though is one with the pre-moon bracelet (or it appears it was only on the pre-moon version). Take a look at the pic. The bracelet is a little different than what I can find from our dealers.

Let me know if anyone has any leads or has one they want to part with.

premoonwatch.jpg

Reactions: dk0243 and Angelo77

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Haven't you already had a Moonwatch rep? :)

All kidding aside, the bracelet looks like an Omega 1171. I haven't seen a rep version that is anything like it. However, the gen version is not hugely expensive at around $250 from Ofrei. It may be even less expensive from CousinsUK. You could always sell the gen bracelet later and recover a great portion of your funds if you chose.

By the way, if you end up with the manual wind ST19 version I have a plexi that will fit it that will greatly improve the appearance. It would be at no charge since you worked with me on a deal when I first joined the forum (thanks again for that). I must have deleted my pictures off Photobucket, but I'll try to post one later so you can see what I'm talking about.

Cheers

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Why yes, yes I have. You wouldn't know about that though would you...
If you're looking to unload it, let me know...

I actually ordered a quartz one from Watch Eden. Dial looked pretty good and it should have the raised crystal. I just wanted to try one again and see if I could make it work for me this time.

Actually, the more I think about it, the reason I couldn't totally get into the one I sold you was because of the bracelet. I think if it had the one in my pic above, I would have liked it much better.

I saw the ones on Ofrei you mentioned. There are also a couple on theBay.

Are the subdials on the one I sold you recessed or are they flush with the rest of the dial?

Peace

That's a generous offer on the plexi by the way... Hang onto it. I may take you up on it later.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
First off, the quartz version of the Speedy is probably the most convincing rep so I understand why you picked that one. As a nice bonus, they typically don't cost as much as the manual wind version.

Omega 1171 bracelets do come up on ebay, but they usually bring as much or more than Ofrei will charge for them! If you looking for a deal on a used one, I see them on WUS sometimes in the $175 range that are still in great condition. They go fast though, so be prepared to earn your savings by checking often. :)

The Moonwatch was what got me into reps in the first place. I ordered two indentical 21J Speedmasters, then sold one of them to you in unworn condition. The thread has been deleted, but you may remember I only had 9 posts the time and had never sold anything on the forum and had never used paypal either. That seems like ages ago now! Below is a picture from the sales thread and you can see the subdials are recessed but the Omega logo is applied:

100_1361.jpg

I wore the twin to this watch for a while, then bought the manual wind ST19 version. Subdial spacing aside, it was a pretty darn good watch. However, I disliked the nearly flat crystal and swapped it out for a domed plexi. (I actually bought 3 plexis at the time and still have a spare, which you apparently don't need). Here are pictures of that one:

100_3776.jpg

100_3768.jpg

After a couple years of trying to be happy with the Speedmaster rep, I finally accepted defeat and saved up for a gen:

100_5233.jpg

The story should have ended there, but like yourself I didn't really like that damn bracelet. I looked at all sorts of options, and even bought a very nice croc strap for it, but in the end I wasn't happy. I really wanted a friggin stainless bracelet on there! I finally decided on the 1479 bracelet that was used in the 1990s, although the 1171 you're looking at was a close second. Here is a picture of the 1479 on my gen:

100_5771.jpg

I was very happy with this setup for about two weeks, and then this happened:

100_5500.jpg

The pin broke in a place that proved very difficult to fix, and the 20 year old bracelet doesn't have spares available. :cry: I sent the bracelet to Omega, and they told me that I was effed, but I could send them a mere $931 and they would immediately ship the new version of the bracelet (which I already have and don't like). I subsequently found a local watchmaker that is pretty skilled and agreed to attempt a repair. Hopefully he will get the thing sorted out for me, and I'll use this opportunity to refinish the bracelet. If not, I will probably have an 1171 on there before long.

Anyway, that response was way longer than I intended but I hope it helps!

Reactions: Fernz

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Good news is that it can indeed be fixed!
What he needs to do is use a diamond saw to cut the other side of the pin and then replace it with a springbar. been there, done that several times.

Sigh, I sould have bought a gen speedie ages ago, the prices are going up to the extent you may as well buy new but I'd prefer a 70s one. or of case, the ultimate: http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=251&auctionid=170
that price was stupid cheap as these have sold for over USD200k

251.jpg

I want one of these so, so badly!

Hi res: http://images.antiquorum.com/170/full/251.jpg

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Five, I meant the one I bought from you I sold on because I didn't like the bracelet. I just don't like the styling of the newer ones. I'll probably end up getting one from Ofrei because the ones I've seen on the bay are pretty close to the same price.

I do hope the one I bought has the recessed chrono dials. It was hard to tell from the pics.

I may have to save up for a gen as well since they still aren't stupid expensive.

I'm with you Boss in that, I remember when gens were selling on the bay for less than a grand. Should have bought one then. Curses!

Also, since you guys seem to know more than I about the moonies...

I've seen some info that says the vintage ones from the late 60's-ish say the case size was 42mm. Is that true?

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I've seen some info that says the vintage ones from the late 60's-ish say the case size was 42mm. Is that true?

Dimensions for the basic Speedy case have been unchanged since 1963, when bombé lugs first showed up. Prior to that, the Speedmaster case was a bit smaller, and took 19mm bracelets.

Bklynboy

3/8/11
My Broad Arrow speedy is 42mm

attachment.php

Also has the doomed acrylic crystal and crappy bracelet, put it in a mesh...

My biggest beef about my SG19 moonie is the subdial at 6 is a 24hr hand instead of elapsed hours.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Yeah. We were just referring to the Moon watch. I knew there were other speedy's that were bigger. I had seen some places/websites selling Gen Moonie's and listing them as 42mm but all the rep ones were 40mm...

Bklynboy, you interested in turning your moonie loose? I might be interested if you are...

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
The case is 42mm wide on the 21J rep and the manual-wind rep versions of the Speedy Professional. I have measured the two versions with calipers, and although I have never measured my gen I assume it is 42mm as well. The bezel only measures 40mm wide, which is likely the measurement recorded on the rep sites.

I sold the manual wind rep just prior to getting the gen, and my first impression was that the rep case and bracelet of that version are very close to gen.

I hope that helps!

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
it does 5 thanks! everyplace lists it as "case size" so I guess the rep guys just don't measure their stuff as well as they should.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Ok 5. I don't even have the quartz yet and I've pretty much decided to buy a manual wind. Are the ST-19 and Lemania the same thing? Also, some of the ones I'm seeing look like the stick markers are green. I'm guessing because of the lume. Was yours that way or was it actually white like it's supposed to be? Where did you get yours?

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
You are correct, the movement used in the hand wind rep is technically the Seagull ST-19, but the sellers will call the movement a Lemania or sometimes a Venus. I don't know why.

I bought the 21J rep from Timeshop and the ST-19 from Lay (who I guess isn't an option anymore). As far as I know, all the current manual wind versions from the sellers are all the exact same watch. As a side note, the bracelet on the ST19 was FAR better than the 21J, and even a little better than the gen in a couple ways.

Regarding the lume, the markers on my dial were white with very weak lume.

The subdial spacing is way better on the quartz, but everything else about the ST19 watch is pretty darn good! I hope this helps.

trandy16

I'm Pretty Popular
24/1/08
Strange.....from the photos on Watch Eden it looks like the only model with the sunken subdials is the Asian Automatic.

I wonder why that is?

I've been considering a gen of this watch, but I'll probaly buy the rep first to see how I like it since 40mm is about as small as I like to go.

40mm works OK for me with my Sub-C.....I'll have to see how the Speedy does.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Hey 5,

Will a solid caseback from one of the other versions fit on the hand wind case? I'm not a big fan of the see through caseback. Also, how hard is it to swap the crystal? I'm sort of comfortable but not if it's an ordeal...

Thanks for all your help by the way!

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I'm not sure about swapping the casebacks between versions. The only instance where I saw someone attempt it was a post on one of the forums from several years ago. In that case, it would not fit. It sounds like you might have two at the same time so I would at least attempt the swap. I do know that the gen caseback ($129) will fit the manual wind version of the rep.

About the crystal, it was very easy for me change to the plexi because the original crystal fell out! The plexi most people use for this mod is a 34.0mm Sternkreuz HW. It is slightly undersized for the bezel (because the bezel insert sticks out a bit). Once the original crystal and gasket are out, you glue in the plexi with GS Hypocement or the UV-activated stuff.

I performed the mod with the movement still in, using a very steady hand to apply the glue. :) However, most people pull the movement out. There is a tutorial on RWG 2 (the one that used to be blue). Later on, I tried to remove the movement to kill the subdial at 6 but couldn't get it out easily. I learned later that you must pry it out because of the chrono pushers. I guess it's not that hard to do but I just got the jitters.

Good luck and post lots of pictures!

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
One more question. If I buy the gen bracelet (1171) which endlinks would fit? Looks like the 633's but I want to make sure.

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
The 633 endlinks are what people typically use for the 1171 bracelet and the Speedy Pro. According to LHOOQ, they need to be bent and filed a bit to properly fit the case.

However, I read a thread recently on WUS (LINK) where a guy suggested using 808 endlinks. NOT TOTALLY SURE ABOUT THIS NEXT PART, READ WITH CAUTION: I think the 808 endlinks were used on the 1450 bracelet, and I think that bracelet is basically just a solid link version of the 1171 (which is folded link). In theory, they should work without modification, look as good or better, and they sell for less at Ofrei than the 633 links. I sent a PM to the poster in that thread to try and confirm that the 808s mate right up to the 1171 and hopefully I'll get a response soon.

EDIT: I found a couple pictures of the 1171/808 combination. It's pretty close, but there is a small gap between the center link and the outsides of the endlink. You can see it best in the first picture. I'm not sure this is a better option than the 633 links.

808on11711.jpg

808on11712.jpg