• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2531.80 Franken Project...can it be done?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I have decided to take the dive into the iconic Bond 2531.80 SMP franken.

As stated in other posts, there is no good replica of this watch...or at least, you can't find one today. You can get one on Dhgate, but there are reviews here on RWI to show where the flaws are.

My intentions on this build...get a close representation, but don't go overboard. Pushing the limit on items puts you into the "you should just get the gen" realm. They are not out of reach in terms of cost.

Also, I wanted to start from the begining on this thread because if I need help, this is the right place to get it!

So, here are the build specs (so far):

-Dhgate 2531.80...I need the case back which is 'near' like the gen
-MK SMP case and bracelet. The Dhgate case is not correct...I am going to see if I can make the MK case work
-MK bracelet. I can get a gen...but the cost starts to put this project into ...go buy the gen realm
-WSO crystal. Same story as bracelet...plus, I have used his crystal in my SMP JB 50th Ann. and it is fantastic.
-Gen used bezel
-Gen used bezel insert
-Gen used dial
-Gen new hands (service)
-Gen used clasp
-Gen new crown
-Gen new crown tube
-ETA 2892 movement, modified. I have purchased the Gen Omega 1120 rotor and autowind bridge, which are the mods to make an 1120.

So, we'll have a go at this and see how it goes.

-

Last edited:
Reactions: Wacht and KJ2020

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
The Dhgate version...as stated, I think the only thing I am going to use is the case back. I have already verified it will fit the MK SMP case. Actually for $80, it's not a bad watch, just not anything like gen.

ZYKlan.jpg
ZYKBJE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Gen parts...I did find a new blister pack dial, but it was over $500 and that is just too much in the total cost for this build. Gen rotor and autowind bridge on the way. I think the autowind bridge may have a few proprietary parts as well. I think Ofrei had them in stock...we'll see.

Reactions: Wacht and KJ2020

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
The used movement arrived missing the winding pinion, which allowed someone to shove the stem further into the mainplate. I could make it work, but my OCD won't allow it...so I ordered a new plate....and of course, there are more issues.

Reactions: Wacht

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
So, I ordered a new plate...see anything missing?

No lower shock jewel, and no center part for the cannon pinion to install. Crap...now I need to press out those parts from the old plate and install in the new plate. Luckily I own a full staking kit and Seitz jewel kit. Just not what I was expecting. Fixing this plate has cost me the price of another movement, which I bought as well. Spend a dollar to save a nickel...again.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
ordered this kit from bosshua007 today...this will get my pin bracelet (period correct) and case.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
My next biggest concern after I get the autowind stuff figured out is the movement spacer and stem height in the case.

Not sure how problematic this is going to be...

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
Keep going mate. Franken building is as frustrating as it is rewarding. Great post by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
Keep going mate. Franken building is as frustrating as it is rewarding. Great post by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Attacked the shock jewel and center tube today. Totally fu*$#ed the shock jewel. I tried to lightly tap tap tap it out on the staking kit. Stake jumped and fu#$ed the jewel up. I should have just popped it out in one tap. Ofrie has them...another trip to the money well.

Had better luck with the center tube. Came right out...then it disappeared into the ether...then I found it! Thank god! Got it in. Setting the end shake was a bitch. You must have a Seitz to do this...you keep pressing .01-,02" increments at a time and check, then recheck. But I think I got it.
ZY1n7v.jpg
ZY1831.jpg
ZY1ryj.jpg
ZY19rK.jpg
ZY1tw4.jpg
ZY1BcI.jpg
ZY1lic.jpg

Last edited:

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Subscribed. I have a franken of this but I went a different way. Looking forward to see how you get the bezel clicking.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Bosshua007 just verified today my Omega kit is on the way!!!....along with a free dial I fu#^&ed up on my Rolex Yachtmaster when I pressed the hands a bit too far and the lume just barely touched off on the dial when I rotated the hands...what a way to screw up a sunburst finish! I have bought a ton from Boss...he delivers everytime!

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
So, if my documents are correct...it appears the stem height for 2892 is 1.5mm (no dial spacer) and 2836 is 2.25 mm.

Also, both have outer diameter of 25.6mm, so the stock movement ring should also work...at least in diameter.

Last edited:

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
whoah what a project dude, subscribed as well, is this bosshua007 an ebay seller or a member here?
very excited to see the finished product! Good Luck and Happy Holidays

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
whoah what a project dude, subscribed as well, is this bosshua007 an ebay seller or a member here?
very excited to see the finished product! Good Luck and Happy Holidays

not a TD here, not sure if he is on eBay...probably not because he sells replica watch kits.

Reactions: jcagara08

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
not a TD here, not sure if he is on eBay...probably not because he sells replica watch kits.
Amazing project thought about going with the Aliexpress cheapo smp as a base start but was able to buy a near perfect franken till my stupid decision selling it came about...

Why didn't you went with a MKS MKF V4 ceramic SMP as a base?

Thanks for sharing the link, thinking about making a franken ceramic SMP soon thanks to you

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Amazing project thought about going with the Aliexpress cheapo smp as a base start but was able to buy a near perfect franken till my stupid decision selling it came about...

Why didn't you went with a MKS MKF V4 ceramic SMP as a base?

Thanks for sharing the link, thinking about making a franken ceramic SMP soon thanks to you

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

I am...bosshua is sending me my SMP ceramic kit and I am going to use the case and the pin bracelet. That Dhgate watch was just to see if there was anything at all I could use...plus, it was only $80. I believe he told me his were MK factory, so that must be MKS/MKF. I have the SMP blue ceramic from Bosshua007 and I already verified the DHgate watch caseback fits. I don't know where else to get a good caseback. Although the quality is s dead giveaway...but...who looks at the caseback?

Anyway, I hope to be able to use the movement ring as well. Fall back plan would be to put a 2836 in which woiuld be a drop in for that case...but the 2892 with Omega 1120 autowind bridge and rotor would be too cool IMO.