• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are most Omega rep watches sold by vendors mostly just the same thing?

Niagara

Horology Curious
27/11/16
Niagara Canada
In researching the purchase of my first rep watch, in this case a SPeedmaster Moonwatch Racing with white dail face, https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-...ronometer-chronograph-44-25-mm-32930445104001

It seems to me looking at each trusted vendor site so far, there descriptions and info and price all look the same to me. I can only assume they are but mere retail distributors of one factory making this specific watch. How does one know which one is better. At these prices of $428 USD I would rather spend another $100 to buy the very best finishing and movement accuracy from a rep watch. How do you choose. I have spent 2 nites looking at forum posts. My analysis says there are no clear quality winners for this specific brand and model. If you have direct expereinces with buying this model please let me know. Thx Niagara the rep watch noob.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Reps are often made by different factories. If so, the factory name should be somewhere in the TD listing. If prices vary a little between TDs on the same factory's watch, most TDs will price match if you send a competitor's link. Post a few TD links to this watch if you want, I'll have a look.

You might find this post useful to better understand the rep world

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...nics-within-the-replica-watch-industry-part-1

Reactions: Niagara

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The one from Puretime is OM Factory (OMF). The other site is not a TD - you should stay away. You should learn more about rep movements before buying.

Chrono watches sometimes have subdials that don't work like the gen. Some with multiple hands on the same subdial like the one you want actually have those two hands glued together and they don't work independently. Also the A7750 rep chrono movement is very thick and causes reps using it to be noticeably and to some members, unacceptably thicker than the gen. You should determine the gen thickness and compare to the rep and see if that is OK with you.

It looks like JH Factory (JHF) also makes these.

Apparently JH has had a collaboration with OM as some of these are listed JH/OM. It looks like your choices are pretty limited on this model. Watch the video on Trusty to see if you can determine what the 3 o'clock subdial hands are doing.

https://trustytime.asia/index.php?m...MASTER MOONWATCH&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=1

It's an unwritten rule that with A7750 chrono reps, you use the chrono features at your own risk. The movements are modified to relocate the subdials to match the model. The stock 7750 movement is designed to have subdials at 12 9 and 6. Moving the subdial to 3 requires extra cheap parts that can break after one use. You whole movement can break.

"Look but don't touch" your 7750 chronos!

Reactions: DD60 and Niagara

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
You need to do some research on this forum on how the trusted dealer systems works for the protection of buyers. The first link is a trusted dealer. The second link you have provided is not a trusted dealer as far as I can see. Stick to the trusted dealers listed on this forum. They should be able to source watches from any of the factories.

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
I was a newbie 18 months ago.
Here is what I suggest.

Find the gen you want.
Read reviews on this site and figure out which factory makes the best rep.
Find the cheapest one on a dealer website.
Pick a Trusted Dealer from the list, it seems you can't go wrong with any of them
Send the TD a link to the website of where you found the best price. Keep in mind that most dealers do not keep their inventory current on their website.
Sign up with transferwise or any other money transfer service of your choice. Pay,sit and wait ....

There are various great reps around. A thread is dedicated to that subject. I don't think that the various speedmasters are considered great reps.

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
TDs don't make watches, they just sell them. As your local supermarket doesn't make your favorite yogurt, they just put it on their shelf. Simples.