• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega SMP 300 ceramic bezel clasp failed

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Hi guys, hope you're all well during these strange times.

So I have an SMP 300 blue ceramic bezel watch, probably 2 years old, I don't remember the TD, and the clasp doesn't shut anymore.

I 've been having some difficulty getting it to click shut for awhile, and now it doesn't click shut at all. I checked the opening into which the tiny mushroom pin goes into, and when you push the lease buttons on the sides of the clasp, nothing moves inside that opening, it used to release the mushroom pin.

It looks like a spring inside failed or something. The watch itself is in pristine condition ( I take really good care of my reps) and it's a favorite watch of mine.

What to do? Is there a fix for this, or should I contact maybe Tim Fat Panda and see if he can source me a new clasp? I'm kind of bummed.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Sounds like a broken clasp spring, best what you can do imo is to buy a gen spring for the replacement.

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Thanks for reply, maybe there are some Youtube videos describing how to replace the spring, I'll look.

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Update (if anyone's interested):

So I found a youtube vid showing how to change the clasp spring. I have an old quartz Seamaster chronograph, the pip fell of it, been sitting in a drawer since, so I cannibalized the clasp spring from it, no problem.

Then I tried to get the small compartment open which houses the spring on my broken clasp. The youtube vid shows a bar you push out from the outside of the clasp, the old Seamaster chronograph had this. But of course the broken clasp did not, it has a springier deep inside the clasp holding the compartment shut. Of course why would this be easy right?

So I tried to remove springier with my Bergeon tool (highly recommend) and only scratched the area. Difficult to depress both ends at same time. Maddening.

So today I ordered a springbar plier tool from eBay, in which you can depress both ends of the springbar simultaneously and that will unlock the door to the little compartment to access the broken spring and replace it.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Update (if anyone's interested):................ I ordered a springbar plier tool from eBay, in which you can depress both ends of the springbar simultaneously and that will unlock the door to the little compartment to access the broken spring and replace it.

That tool that you ordered will come in handy for removing bracelets. Once I bought mine, I find that I almost always wind up using it to remove a bracelet unless it has drilled lugs.

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Yes, I've been meaning to buy one for some time, looking forward to getting it!

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
So I received the springbar pliers from eBay, very nice little tool! It will make removing/installing bracelets so much easier.

Unfortunately the springbar within the SMP 300 clasp is just not budging, so frustrating. I can't get inside that small compartment to access the spring.

I'm thinking of taking the watch along with the springbar pliers to my local mall watchsmith, see if he can open it and replace the spring. If not, I may contact Watchfinder Tim and see if he can source me a new clasp.

This is so annoying.

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
So I decided to give it one more try with the springbar pliers. The springbar won't depress, so I can't remove the plate covering the broken spring. This is so stupid - the gen clasp has a tube you easily push from the outside edge of the clasp to unsecure the plate.

I can buy a gen spring on eBay for $15 bucks, but I can't get that plate removed to access the broken spring.

Contacted Watchfinder Tim to see if he can source me a whole new clasp, but this watch came out 3 years ago.

Last edited:

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
With persistence I got the plate open inside the clasp, but it's still hinged on one end. So weird, no broken spring fell out. Looking at the underside of the plate, there is some type of spring stuck to it, which is broken. I can't get at it. Such a crazy manufacturing design.

Watchfinder Tim got back to me, clasp available but factory wants $86 for it, ridiculous.

I'm going to get a blue rubber strap for this watch from eBay or DhGate, shame as I like it on bracelet.

Thanks for following my saga.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
So weird, no broken spring fell out. Looking at the underside of the plate, there is some type of spring stuck to it, which is broken. I can't get at it. Such a crazy manufacturing design.

Got a photo?