• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seamaster Diver 300M - Frankening and Collecting Guide.

mrtimeshift

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/15
Helpful guid, I will definitely use it when I start my Seamaster project. Thanks!

TidusKun

Renowned Member
28/9/19
R Factory
Very informative post - didn't know about the omega v Costco case (and everything else too, hah). This is the type of content that makes you want to start a project

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
such a great write up, thanks k4jun!

I figured this reply and starting with this project is 10 years late LOL

I hope one day the monopoly of Omega's Choking of Ofrei and Cousins not to be able to sell parts will be removed soon...

daledoback

5/1/15
Amazing writing and exactly what I was looking for, but I assume you spent around 1500 or so? I would assume it would almost be better on buying gen?

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Friendly bump. Did you just build a SMP pre-ceramic franken? Im wondering if you got your bezel working and if so, how?

Yes mate, MK case is base and then;
- gen bezel is direct swap,
- gen click spring too,
- gen retaining spring is the problem. You need to re-work this spring and reduce the tension which arms give to the bezel. Like this:
ZzFjXc.jpg

Left is re-worked spring, right is gen generic spring (almost generic as I already started to bending it).
You need to recurve arms but keep the tips of the spring. There is no sliver bullet that I can tell you "bend it this-and-that" , you need to find a sweet spot for tolerances between the rep case and gen bezel. Usually you won't find it after the first time, neither the second, nor third time.
You need to re-work it - install the bezel - check how it works - if needed: pop the bezel up and re-work it further.

Last edited:

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Nice, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
I had success installing the bezel and spring without the insert. There were cracks between the case and the bezel where I pushed the spring into place and once the spring and bezel are seated I forced in the insert. Sadly I bent a spring too much trying to get it working the first time but ordered a new one and got it installed. It turns with a little grease but the click spring wasn’t seated well so it’s still a little tight. Better than the bezel popping out whenever I turned it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChronoNoob

26/6/20
Yes mate, MK case is base and then;
- gen bezel is direct swap,
- gen click spring too,
- gen retaining spring is the problem. You need to re-work this spring and reduce the tension which arms give to the bezel. Like this:
ZzFjXc.jpg

Left is re-worked spring, right is gen generic spring (almost generic as I already started to bending it).
You need to recurve arms but keep the tips of the spring. There is no sliver bullet that I can tell you "bend it this-and-that" , you need to find a sweet spot for tolerances between the rep case and gen bezel. Usually you won't find it after the first time, neither the second, nor third time.
You need to re-work it - install the bezel - check how it works - if needed: pop the bezel up and re-work it further.

Is this for the model before the MKF 2012-2018 model? I'm not sure if "pre-ceramic" is referring to the ceramic dial and bezel insert or just the ceramic bezel so 2012 onwards.

Really keen to try and replace my new MKF 2012-18 SMP with a gen bezel or even another bezel because mine's a little loose and has some play. The clicks feel rather flimsy and tinny. I've replaced bezel parts on cheaper divers like SKX007 and Orients but never dared with anything more expensive as they always seem to go back a bit looser from the slight warping during removal.

Are there any recommended sources for buying an entire bezel incl all components either gen or from MKF or another factory that fits? I get that the gen will cost about as much as the whole rep but without an alternative rep bezel, there's not much to do except enjoy it as it is.

Thanks for the write up!

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Is this for the model before the MKF 2012-2018 model? I'm not sure if "pre-ceramic" is referring to the ceramic dial and bezel insert or just the ceramic bezel so 2012 onwards.

Really keen to try and replace my new MKF 2012-18 SMP with a gen bezel or even another bezel because mine's a little loose and has some play. The clicks feel rather flimsy and tinny. I've replaced bezel parts on cheaper divers like SKX007 and Orients but never dared with anything more expensive as they always seem to go back a bit looser from the slight warping during removal.

Are there any recommended sources for buying an entire bezel incl all components either gen or from MKF or another factory that fits? I get that the gen will cost about as much as the whole rep but without an alternative rep bezel, there's not much to do except enjoy it as it is.

Thanks for the write up!

"pre-ceramic" is referring to gen SMP produced before 2012, here we are discussing a franken pre-ceramic based on MKF 2012-2018 (ceramic) rep.

Gen bezel will cost you more than the whole MK rep.

Reactions: ChronoNoob

ChronoNoob

26/6/20
"pre-ceramic" is referring to gen SMP produced before 2012, here we are discussing a franken pre-ceramic based on MKF 2012-2018 (ceramic) rep.

Gen bezel will cost you more than the whole MK rep.

And I gather there is no way to source entire rep bezel assemblies for the ceramic SMP 2012 to 2018 model? Really would like so get some just in case this one fails. I think it might make more sense to spend $370 on a new rep than to buy a gen bezel.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Even now I am selling such bezel in m2m, or speak to your TD, some of them are very good in sourcing parts.

Reactions: ChronoNoob

Parafireboy

29/9/20
Wow, amazing information! Thanks for taking the time to put this all together. The Seamaster 300m is in top three reps that I want (and eventually a gen).

maxlawbr

Put Some Respect On My Name
27/9/06
Such a fantastic post. Congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CurtisL

21/4/21
Illinois
This was a great write up, does anyone have any suggestions on a newer Super Rep Seamaster that a factory did a really nice job on?

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
@k4jun I need help right now, I have managed to remove (very very hard to do, dinged up some parts around the bezel) the SMPc bezel BP version on trying to put on a genuine bezel but it is not coming back on, like there is no tension as if its loose or requiring some gasket or O ring around it. Also the gen bezel looks like it has a smaller inner diameter that it wouldn't budge when forcing it into the case? HELP

Last edited:

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
@k4jun @Specter1000

What an expensive f*** up right? Damn what do I need to glue? Glue the bezel assembly to the case for the time being and get an MKS case? Dang it DIY skills

The BP case only has a clicker embedded in the case with a small spring underneath it. No click spring assembly like the genuine setup
80f40148f5b5c69f77b711682c94ac4c.jpg
26171cc672410ca407fb735bc5fe1843.jpg
283a22a62b063a4d5cf03051fc625bca.jpg
e21b06c5ea297940c4e60bbe29af21a3.jpg
97d351fdf30b4d212f1ce75396904bed.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
See the BP bezel with a gen faded insert and missing lume pip, the other one gen bezel with a newer blue shade. Smaller inner diameter right?
5b45048a2e6e1044332a1706ac63940b.jpg
1cdb6735514c523e505211a143aaba66.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk