• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2018 Seamaster 300m Rose Gold (RG)/Sedna Gold on blue rubber - VSF vs. Gen Comparison

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
That lume at the 6 o'clock marker right beneath the date on the rep is a big tell its a rep. If that was executed better, it would be hard to tell indeed.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Ok folks, so I haven't been home for the last couple of days so I haven't contributed to this thread. So questions that you have asked me in the DMs:
1. The movement works the same way gen does: moving counterclockwise advances the hands. There is another difference though: manual winding in gen and reps feels and sounds completely different.
2. Bezel insert/engravings. I stand by my original comment that they are identical. Please take a look at the original photos and the photos below: Both gen and rep sometimes look thinner sometimes bolder, depending on the lighting conditions. Maybe you can find some tiny differences under a microscope.

Please find some more photos below. This time I am not uploading high resolution pics; poor lighting, some gen, and rep watches as reference points. Let's see if you can figure which is which;)

Ok I'm gonna guess for fun:

Pic 1 and 2 same watch, rep?
pic 3 gen on right
pic 4 gen on left
pic 5 gen closes to camera

How'd I do?

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
That's what I heared as well. But what are the differencec is that particular model between VSF and OMF (except for the movement)?
Our TD's sell them for nearly the same price:

OMF (348 $) --> https://chazingtime06.co/products/2...lue-ceramic-blue-dial-ss-bracelet-a8800-black
VSF (385 $) --> https://chazingtime06.co/products/2...dition-rg-bezel-blue-dial-ssrg-bracelet-a8800

There are evident flaws on the OMF, shape of bezel numbers is different, the pearl ring is badly executed and the marker engravings on the bezel look also badly done. That's just for starters, but that's just me.

Reactions: Foxxfire

ernmeister84

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/5/19
5ie0n.jpg

Hi, guys.
thanks heaps for such a great review by @mickszym!
I just have a little question that I have got a old
version of gen seamaster 300m.
to be honest, I dont really get used to metal bracelet.
even I have only 1 gen watch but sits in my watch box more times than my few replicas.
as mickszym mentioned about the quality of VSF rubber strap
is superb and identical like a gen.
So, I am thinking that if I get just vsf rubber strap then I would get more chance to wear this beautiful piece?
(Puretime has got the rubber strap by itself)
Btw, as far as I know that the size of old and new version is exactly same size so it will fit no problem?
What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
5ie0n.jpg

as mickszym mentioned about the quality of VSF rubber strap
is superb and identical like a gen.
So, I am thinking that if I get just vsf rubber strap then I would get more chance to wear this beautiful piece?
(Puretime has got the rubber strap by itself)
Btw, as far as I know that the size of old and new version is exactly same size so it will fit no problem?

It should but I am not 100% sure.

Your gen is gorgeous!

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
A gen on the wrist

I can now on closer inspection see grooves on the bezel (bottom right), just like on the VSF. Indeed, VSF has the SMP about 99% perfect!
39e95d6f03c57d2ec9ea82b7d70c417f.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
A gen on the wrist

I can now on closer inspection see grooves on the bezel (bottom right), just like on the VSF.

One of my favorite phrases in the English language is "I told you so!" but I must admit that you were right too when you said there was a subtle difference. The thing is that both bezel inserts look and feel exactly the same from 1 foot/even 5 inches distance, but when you take a super close look the "filling" in the groove has a slightly different texture. I am not sure how to explain it but it looks like these tiny grains that make the filling are a bit more coarse on the rep and much more subtle/tiny on the gen. But again: this is visible only under super magnification;)

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
One of my favorite phrases in the English language is "I told you so!" but I must admit that you were right too when you said there was a subtle difference. The thing is that both bezel inserts look and feel exactly the same from 1 foot/even 5 inches distance, but when you take a super close look the "filling" in the groove has a slightly different texture. I am not sure how to explain it but it looks like these tiny grains that make the filling are a bit more coarse on the rep and much more subtle/tiny on the gen. But again: this is visible only under super magnification;)
Spot on! Sums up the whole bezel comparison!

I'm so happy to have learned from you, brother! And glad that I could help with your knowledge as well :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Mixad

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/20
Thank you for the review! I'm going to order this but with the metal strap. I wish they where sold in a package with both metal and rubber bracelet :)

Reactions: Lfaustino2

Lagunax

I'm Pretty Popular
18/4/15
CONUS
LOL great review!
Good thing you kept the sticker on the back of the rep so you didn’t sell the wrong one!

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Any expirences with the black coloured dial version of it. How is the colour compared to the gen?
The Bezel engravings look a bit more 3d to me on the rep but I am trusting you that the Bezel is pretty much 1:1.

I tried the black one with RG Bezel today at the AD and really loved the watch!

Last edited:

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
The only tell for me at all is the bezel insert (that I would actually notice at least). I have a blue and rose gold and black and rose gold on the way. I love this watch so much that if it really bothers me after a few months I may even try to find a gen. I don't know if I would go that far or if that would even work, but I'm stoked about the quality VSF has put into these.

Could you please post some Photos of the black RG? I am about to pull the trigger but someone in the main thread told me about the quality of the RG Bezel engraving .... I see a diffrence in the photos above but as I said already I trust the owner of the gen if he says its a minor issue. Now I am just curious how the Black in Rg looks in real life and not QC.

Thanks

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
That lume at the 6 o'clock marker right beneath the date on the rep is a big tell its a rep. If that was executed better, it would be hard to tell indeed.

I think it could be fixed by making a relume. Or maybe its just an QC issue with this Rep. Cuz on other photos the Lume at 6 o clock marker is also not round.

You mean that the lume in the rep at the 6 o clock marker seems round and not square... am I'm right?

Last edited:

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Could you please post some Photos of the black RG? I am about to pull the trigger but someone in the main thread told me about the quality of the RG Bezel engraving .... I see a diffrence in the photos above but as I said already I trust the owner of the gen if he says its a minor issue. Now I am just curious how the Black in Rg looks in real life and not QC.

Thanks

It is the same as the blue... color is spot on but if you know what to look for, you can tell that it is engraved vs flush like gen.

Last edited:

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Or maybe its just an QC issue with this Rep.
Sorry I was away for some time. So let me answer some of your questions:
1. Gold color & fading. Rose Gold/Sedna Gold is exactly as gen. There is zero difference. Does it fade? I don't know. I had the watch for 2 weeks and sold it. But it should be ok, it looked really solid.
2. The BezelEngravingGate (BEG): yes, there is a difference between gen and rep, but don't overestimate it. Side by side with gen you know which is which, but it does not look bad. It is a super tiny detail and it will not bother you.
3. The thing that bothers me the most is the QC of the lume. Not the color (the YellowLumeGate is nonsense), but its application. Please be careful with the QCs and it will be ok.

It is an excellent rep, highly recommend it!

Reactions: Agloomp

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Sorry I was away for some time. So let me answer some of your questions:
1. Gold color & fading. Rose Gold/Sedna Gold is exactly as gen. There is zero difference. Does it fade? I don't know. I had the watch for 2 weeks and sold it. But it should be ok, it looked really solid.
2. The BezelEngravingGate (BEG): yes, there is a difference between gen and rep, but don't overestimate it. Side by side with gen you know which is which, but it does not look bad. It is a super tiny detail and it will not bother you.
3. The thing that bothers me the most is the QC of the lume. Not the color (the YellowLumeGate is nonsense), but its application. Please be careful with the QCs and it will be ok.

It is an excellent rep, highly recommend it!

Agreed. I would compound what you're saying about the bezel engraving by adding that just because it's different from gen, I wouldn't consider it a flaw exactly. For example, a crooked marker is a flaw no matter how you look at it. It's a mistake. The bezel engraving doesn't make it look cheap. In fact, when I saw the gen, my first impression was that it NOT being engraved made the gen look cheap lol. If we got 100 people together that knew nothing about watches and asked what was gen and rep just by looking, I bet we'd get a pretty split answer ~50/50

Lastly, its pretty damn subtle anyways. I showed my friend whom always likes looking at my watches and guessing the differences, and whats gen, whats rep, etc. and she never even noticed.