• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NEW NTTD No Time to Die Titanium/Titanium Seamaster 007 Edition

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Funny you mentioned that because just as I was about to wear mine today, the crown felt rough when screwing back down. As expected just like my other reps, the crown is the first to go. Such a pity.
It’s hard for me to believe nobody has actually repaired one of these VSF…I’ll say it…time bombs.

Given the size of the VSF NTTD (Nagging Titanium Tube Defect or, more accurately, Nagging Tube Thread Defect) “club”, I’m surprised I’m not finding mods/repairs other than clipping the stem which, as I have pointed out, is a compromise and not a fix.

Ideally, I’d just order a gen crown and tube and go from there but my guy for Omega parts doesn’t recognize the case number which I believe is TIZ011683. If someone has the parts numbers please share.

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
It’s hard for me to believe nobody has actually repaired one of these VSF…I’ll say it…time bombs.

Given the size of the VSF NTTD (Nagging Titanium Tube Defect or, more accurately, Nagging Tube Thread Defect) “club”, I’m surprised I’m not finding mods/repairs other than clipping the stem which, as I have pointed out, is a compromise and not a fix.

Ideally, I’d just order a gen crown and tube and go from there but my guy for Omega parts doesn’t recognize the case number which I believe is TIZ011683. If someone has the parts numbers please share.
I’ve been looking for these parts on eBay. I’ve ordered a steel omega crown and crown tube from alixpress. No luck on finding a titanium replacement. I have not yet tried to remove the old one so I don’t even know if I ordered the correct size tube. It appears to me to be a press fit tube and not threaded, but I could be mistaken. When the time comes that my crown no longer screws down I may attempt to swap it out.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Funny you mentioned that because just as I was about to wear mine today, the crown felt rough when screwing back down. As expected just like my other reps, the crown is the first to go. Such a pity.
😱Just after spending all the bucks on a gen bracelet the tube goes dead!?
Just for some sharing, I always put a tiny dip of lubricant (Moebius 8000) onto the tube threads needing crown locking for smoother operations, no matter it is Rollie or other reps

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
😱Just after spending all the bucks on a gen bracelet the tube goes dead!?
Just for some sharing, I always put a tiny dip of lubricant (Moebius 8000) onto the tube threads needing crown locking for smoother operations, no matter it is Rollie or other reps
The gen bracelet is for my SMP 2220.80. Not my NTTD. I had no intentions of putting it on my NTTD rep when I bought the gen mesh bracelet.

52756497526_5e0d35bdae_b.jpg

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
@Bpyfu you’re right about the friction fit tube on the replica but I believe, though I’m not able to confirm, the Gen NTTD has a screw-in tube which, if true, I’d like to use if I can source it.

If the tube you bought fits your rep titanium crown, you should be good to go if your crown isn’t also stripped.

If you have to use the replacement crown, you could treat the steel to darken it and make it look more like the titanium.

Please keep us posted.

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
@Bpyfu you’re right about the friction fit tube on the replica but I believe, though I’m not able to confirm, the Gen NTTD has a screw-in tube which, if true, I’d like to use if I can source it.

If the tube you bought fits your rep titanium crown, you should be good to go if your crown isn’t also stripped.

If you have to use the replacement crown, you could treat the steel to darken it and make it look more like the titanium.

Please keep us posted.
I was considering treating the steel crown if I had to. Maybe heat treating would darken it a bit? I’m not entirely sure about the process. If I could find a gen crown and crown tube I would consider buying them, even if it meant tapping the case. I do enjoy tinkering on these reps, moreso than I thought I would when I started on this journey.

Reactions: Slugger

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
It is well known that the lume on the hands of VSF NTTD is pinkish under the natural light, and this is one of the biggest tell of the watch which otherwise is almost perfect.
Wonder if the ORF hands suffer with the same pinkish issue? If no, it could be a good option to consider switching the ORF hands onto the VSF to make it look more acceptable.

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
I was considering treating the steel crown if I had to. Maybe heat treating would darken it a bit? I’m not entirely sure about the process. If I could find a gen crown and crown tube I would consider buying them, even if it meant tapping the case. I do enjoy tinkering on these reps, moreso than I thought I would when I started on this journey.
I purchased a gen crown on ebay . I seem to have mostly fixed the problem. I think I need to shorten the stem just a tad to get the crown to seat completely. This is the item number: 184780721749 the seller has 3 left I think. It’s a used piece but seems to be good condition.
While it threaded into the vsf tube without a problem, I feel like it could be more secure, hard to describe. Perhaps the tube itself has sone damaged threads. It feels like about a full turn and a half of actual thread is grabbing. Compared to about a quarter to half turn was holding the old crown.

Reactions: pippo and haze3715

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
I apologize if that was considered an ad for a seller. I just know that I had a hard time getting results searching on eBay for the part. I think this is the Omega part number: S069TI42154

Reactions: StrangwaysAtoll

JohnnyDangerous

Known Member
29/3/19
Reading all the tales of woe here about the weak crown threads, I'm afraid for the gen crown threads as well, so I baby it bigtime by threading CCW until I feel the thread drop, then screw it down from there

Lazza

Known Member
13/11/17
What you mean by CCW? sorry if i am being thick, My Gen i don't wear much, but only change the time when I wear it, and never leave it that tight, a few shakes of the wrist and away she goes. It's funny my 40th Anniversary still gives me over 48 hours after I have stopped wearing it. And that like my others only wind up till the 2nd hand starts to move. You can very easy over wind a watch was told.
On a totally different question does anyone know if the 60th Anniversary is being sold as a replica yet? also has the cost of importing reps gone up much as thanks to @@@@ Brexit, yes I am in the UK.

xZeroCoolx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/10/22
US
He is referring to screwing the crown the opposite direction until you hear and feel a slight click and then you gently screw it in the correct direction. This ensures (hopefully) the threads are lined up when you screw the crown in and greatly reduces the chance of messing up the delicate threads.

Reactions: JohnnyDangerous

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
The VSF NTTD is almost a perfect rep, only those pinky lume on the hands really sores my eyes. Wishing some good quality aftermarket handset with the correct lume can be available soon.

Lliu31

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/2/17
NYC
The VSF NTTD is almost a perfect rep, only those pinky lume on the hands really sores my eyes. Wishing some good quality aftermarket handset with the correct lume can be available soon.
Seriously. The pink hands and the overall weak lume bothers me.

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
V5 must solve everything ، correct TI mesh bracelet ، case back engraving lume and wrong fat dial print.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I’m greedy. I want all of the above plus gen-like screw-in tube and no junk on the movement.

Davidaintgrizz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/5/22
Received 3 weeks back. Extremely satisfied, pity about those 3/4 points that everyone else brings up too and the fact that the tube is a ticking time bomb means that I'm always reluctant to set the watch, so it get's worn less.
Nato strap can go straight in the trash though!

3fvbCW.jpeg

[Mod edit / eBoy: image correctly embedded]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tiz71

StrangwaysAtoll

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/22
Jamaica
One solution - set the watch by “shake/rattle and roll. Don’t need to wind the watch if wearing (not the most efficient but would prolong the tube).