• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To build or to buy, that is the question!

Flwatchguy73

Looking Around
18/5/18
Good afternoon folks. I have been presented with a bit of a personal dilemma. I have an opportunity and the desire to source enough parts on eBay to build a replica of my favorite Omega watch, the legendary, Seamaster, Planet Ocean. This watch would be based off a Chinese copy of the ETA 2824 movement and would essentially contain all Chinese parts purchased off the Bay. This watch would be what I would call a 10 footer, looks authentic from 10 feet away. I found all the necessary parts that are relatively accurate in appearance. The total cost of this custom build is in the neighborhood of $200. While trying to source a more accurate dial I came across a discussion here of VSF replicas. Now here comes the dilemma, do I build my replica myself and end up with a very nice 10 footer, or do I double my investment and end up with a near flawless replica that only I will know isn't authentic? Money and patience are 2 things that will always hinder my desires. Having the patience required to save the extra money will NOT be an easy thing for me. All that said, I'm curious of everyone's thoughts on this. I can tell from the overwhelming reviews here on the VSF replicas that I will absolutely be getting my money's worth, but there is something about building the watch myself that adds to the allure and gives me a good story to tell. Thank you for your input.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Are you a watchmaker. Have you ever done this sort of thing and do you already have watchmaker tools?

If the answer to the above 3 questions is no then I would advise against it. You could easily spend > $200 on tools and wind up with a cobbled together watch that looks so so or worse yet super frustrated with a non working watch.

If any of the answers to the above questions is yes or you are just trying to learn a thing or two and you don't care about the money then have at it.

thenut

Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Germany
So descision between a low Budget DIY Build or a high Quality Rep ?
These are 2 so different Things that theyre hard to compare .
I would Pick up a vsf if want a very Nice Watch .
If you want to Train your watchmaking Skills i would rather mod a seiko . as said above you Need some Tools which arent Cheap

Flwatchguy73

Looking Around
18/5/18
I am indeed a watch maker and already have all the tools and experience I need. I wouldn't be building the watch for the practice, more for the joy. However the quality of VSF is very appealing! The opportunity to own my dream watch in something I can afford is a good motivator.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I am indeed a watch maker and already have all the tools and experience I need. I wouldn't be building the watch for the practice, more for the joy. However the quality of VSF is very appealing! The opportunity to own my dream watch in something I can afford is a good motivator.

Ok, so that wasn't ther answer I expected and changes things considerably. Your ability to put together watch parts is no longer an issue, but there is still ther issue of what is motivating you here. Are you trying to save a few bucks? Are you trying to make a few bucks by putting it together and selling? How important is accuracy to you?

Another thing to think about is that not very accurate reps don't fetch much here as there isn't much demand for those.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
If you have the skills buy the VSF as they are brilliant and service it, win win!

Reactions: thenut

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
If you have the skills buy the VSF as they are brilliant and service it, win win!

Good idea!

For me, I have the tools & the ability to put parts together, but I wouldn't bother with what the op is thinking of doing. Of those 2 choices I'd buy the VSF.

Flwatchguy73

Looking Around
18/5/18
I have decided to do both. Out of the blue my youngest son (16yo) came to me and mentioned he wanted me to build him an Omega homage. Before this, I arrived at the decision that I would purchase the YSF replica because it's beautiful and I can't build better. For my son, this will be his Christmas present from me. I can afford to build my son's watch first, so when I do, maybe I can post photos of it here, or start a fresh thread if that's more appropriate. Thank you to everyone who gave their 2 cents, I'm very grateful.

Reactions: thenut

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
When ever someone says should I get this or that watch I almost always think, "get both". You have basically come to that same conclusion so I think you came to the most sensible decision.

If you ever decide for some reason that you don't like the VSF or you are not wearing it you can always sell at a small loss in the m2m here.