• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Seamaster 300M rubber strap issue

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
I received a Seamaster 300m yesterday on bracelet, also had a rubber strap included but can not seem to get it to fit, the holes just don’t seem to line up. I can only get one side of the spring bar to go in on both sides of the watch.

Anyone else had any issue with the strap? What are the tell tale signs of it being a vsf strap?
a3bc50266fffb1e2b660af8e995572e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
The code on the puretime listing is different to the code on mine

Pure time has HJC on the strap with a long number ending 27

Mine has GJC with long number ending 26

c3134d3a5e54c620cd2918e73fc412ed.png

w0rn

Supporter
19/7/15
I think that you've got the right strap, but they are hard to fit.
2 different methods if it's to hard, use slimmer springbars of same length, that's the easy one.
Or as I have done on one of my vsf omega watches when fitting the strap, carefully use a drill to enlarge the hole for the springbars on the strap.
The last method can be more destructive if you do it wrong and take out to much material, but if you use a drill that is of the same size as the springbar it shouldn't take out to much material from the hole in the strap, measure the thickness of your springbar before you do it.
Both methods will make the springbar move in place a little easier as it will have room to move but the strap will still fit great on the watch.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
I think that you've got the right strap, but they are hard to fit.
2 different methods if it's to hard, use slimmer springbars of same length, that's the easy one.
Or as I have done on one of my vsf omega watches when fitting the strap, carefully use a drill to enlarge the hole for the springbars on the strap.
The last method can be more destructive if you do it wrong and take out to much material, but if you use a drill that is of the same size as the springbar it shouldn't take out to much material from the hole in the strap, measure the thickness of your springbar before you do it.
Both methods will make the springbar move in place a little easier as it will have room to move but the strap will still fit great on the watch.

I might try the thin spring bar method first, reluctant to drill the strap as I want a solid fit. I’ve dealt with tricky straps before but this just isn’t fitting, once one side of the spring bar is in, the other side is 0.5-1mm out and the strap is visibly out of shape trying to get the other side in

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
You need to bend the springbar slightly & it will fit easily. Look in the main VSF 2018 smp thread. This question has come up more than once. There is even a tool that is made specifically for this purpose

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
You need to bend the springbar slightly & it will fit easily. Look in the main VSF 2018 smp thread. This question has come up more than once. There is even a tool that is made specifically for this purpose

I’ll check it out thanks, can’t see that thread on tapa, it’s too big so I’ve missed those posts

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
After searching through the VSF seamaster 300m thread up to around page 120 and still not finding anything, and trying various searches, I ended up bending the spring bars at each end slightly and the strap is now on. Not overly impressed with this solution for such a high quality rep and you’d think at $88 the rubber strap would just fit.

Nevertheless it’s looking good

59bed99451cfb237ba53afa23bc991ef.jpg

Dark12

23/2/16
I had the same trouble fitting a rubber strap to my Blue VSF300---destroyed a strap!!!....ended up getting another strap & taking it to local watch shop----he did it in 5 minutes !!!!!
Curved spring bars like on the gen Spectre NATO would have been easier.

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
After searching through the VSF seamaster 300m thread up to around page 120 and still not finding anything, and trying various searches, I ended up bending the spring bars at each end slightly and the strap is now on. Not overly impressed with this solution for such a high quality rep and you’d think at $88 the rubber strap would just fit.

Nevertheless it’s looking good

59bed99451cfb237ba53afa23bc991ef.jpg

How did you bend the springbars, I got the same issue. Would be great if you could tell :)

mat2006

Renowned Member
31/7/17
I tried it now for several times to fit it, but it won’t fit. Bending the springbars a little bit didn’t help.
I would be glad if someone that successfully mounted it could tell how he mounted it.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
I tried it now for several times to fit it, but it won’t fit. Bending the springbars a little bit didn’t help.
I would be glad if someone that successfully mounted it could tell how he mounted it.

I just held the spring bar ends with a pair of pliers, then using another pair of pliers I bent the tips slightly, I didn’t bend the centre part of the spring bar at all though. I’d take a photo but I’m not taking the strap off, it will take me a week to get it back on

Mark L

Known Member
28/8/19
UK

I had to use 300 grit sandpaper and take a bit off the hard plastic insert on the strap, that butts up to the watch caseback when fitted.
The bit where there is a small step. Just work that bit.Be careful you Dont sand the rubber that will show on top or you could be left with a gap.

DiveWatchGuy

Horology Curious
5/3/19
Canada
I took pliers and bent my springbars a lot to make them fit. I was sure that they were going to let go in a day or so. But 6 months later of almost daily wear and they are holding solid.

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
Just bend the springbars in the middle. I put mine over a hard round surface (rounded edge of a table) and bent it with my thumbs on each end. Strap went on perfectly in 30 seconds and holds perfectly too. Been wearing it for weeks, no problems.

Reactions: leo6929

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
Glad i found this thread. I had given up fitting my blue rubber on my grey seamster as i ran out of patience.

bgreg

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/12
Florida
Wish I had found this thread 2 months ago, I ruined my strap trying to get it on. tried sanding it, cutting it never could get it on. Always one side but not both. I'll try again with bending spring bars method.