• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Super Clone Movements (A8500/A8900) - No Way to Service/Repair?

ericb196

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
It's always recmomanded to have a movement serviced if you want to improve the longevity. But in reality you service your watch when you see the first signs of issues

Shogo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/4/19
So do you guys think its recommended to get this VSF movement fully serviced asap to improve its longevity?

It is recommended to do that but the reality is that you will not be able to find a watchsmith who will work with this movement.

Yona24

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/4/19
I understand, thanks guys. I am hoping my new AT with 8900 clone movement will last me at least a year.

-prick

15/1/17
while vsf does a really good job in making good looking watches and apparently a good movement too
but given the circumstances of it being a replica movement it is only a matter of time till it breaks
like always you can be lucky or unlucky…

i too did think about this topic a lot
going for eta clones like 2824 etc is in my eyes always the safer and smarter choice

vsf kinda built themselves a monopoly with their amazing looking replicas
of course people buy their replicas when they are this good looking and if the movement breaks everyone has to buy a replacement from them
only time will tell whether some parts are interchangeable with other movements

KingSly

Known Member
15/6/14
are they really that bad?? I'm thinking of getting the ceramic black one :(

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Good lord you guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion. All mechanical watches are going to break or need service some point. If you want a $10 Timex then go buy a $10 Timex. If you want a genuine Omega PO go buy one for $7500 ish and then about 1x every 5 yrs or so you can pay Omega for a $500 service.

Enjoy reps for what they are & just know you are entering a world of luxury watches at the very lowest price point possible. If you can't deal with the possibility of a $150 fix at some point down the road you shouldn't even be buying any watch at all.

If you like Omega and and you want a really nice watch just buy one of the VSF models and enjoy it. I currently own 2 and have flipped 2 others. They all were extremely nice and they all work flawlessly. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
In addition to what I said above, this movement has been disassembled and scrutinized by members here that have thousands of hours working on movements. That inspection resulted on the experts opinion that this was a very stable and reliable movement.

Go read about it if you don't believe me.

Some new member joins and two days and two posts later is saying this thing is junk and will last at best a month or two. There is just no basis for this.

The only new thing in the rep world in the last year and a half that even comes close to VSF's Omegas is the Noob movement for the Daytona.

Last edited:

w0rn

Supporter
19/7/15
In addition to what I said above, this movement has been disassembled and scrutinized by members here that have thousands of hours working on movements. That inspection resulted on the experts opinion that this was a very stable and reliable movement.

Go read about it if you don't believe me.

Some new member joins and two days and two posts later is saying this thing is junk and will last at best a month or two. There is just no basis for this.

The only new thing in the rep world in the last year and a half that even comes close to VSF's Omegas is the Noob movement for the Daytona.

Let them think that this movement is the worst ever, more for us others.

Have had 3 movements serviced and inspected, one of them a GMT one.
The person that did the service did discover two pontetial problems over time with this movement, first the hack lever that is weak, might be prone to break over time and use, and there is no known spare part for that, it's made specific for this movement. If it breaks you can still use the movement but you can't hack it.
Secondly, with the GMT version, the GMT gear have no jewels and the holes is just drilled into the bridges, and over time that is not the best solution to keep it running.
Besides that he did like this movement, with some reservations, let me quote his own word here.

"Overall, what is impressive is that these movements can be made as stable as, say, a Swiss 2892. What is disappointing is the quality of the materials used in the construction and the shoddy assembly (cheap sewing machine oil, shards of metal, dirt, missing screws, etc.)"

So, a service might be good to do if you want to get the best and longest possible life out of these movements.
And yes, one of my movements had a couple of missing screw from factory, that was a new one for me.

Reactions: Screwtape

-prick

15/1/17
Good lord you guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion. All mechanical watches are going to break or need service some point. If you want a $10 Timex then go buy a $10 Timex. If you want a genuine Omega PO go buy one for $7500 ish and then about 1x every 5 yrs or so you can pay Omega for a $500 service.

Enjoy reps for what they are & just know you are entering a world of luxury watches at the very lowest price point possible. If you can't deal with the possibility of a $150 fix at some point down the road you shouldn't even be buying any watch at all.

If you like Omega and and you want a really nice watch just buy one of the VSF models and enjoy it. I currently own 2 and have flipped 2 others. They all were extremely nice and they all work flawlessly. I would not hesitate to buy another.

…the thing is, the reason most of us buying reps is because we dont have 7000$ for the gen
we buy a 400$ vsf rep, if the movement breaks and you need the movement from vsf for 200$… thats 50% of what its worth
if you service a 7000$ watch for 500$ … peanuts in comparison

so its not just "cant deal with a 150$ fix" but simply common sense

Reactions: Batoche

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
…the thing is, the reason most of us buying reps is because we dont have 7000$ for the gen
we buy a 400$ vsf rep, if the movement breaks and you need the movement from vsf for 200$… thats 50% of what its worth

I get what you are saying and it's not like it doesn't have any merit. At the same time the Omegas that VSF have been making over the last year or year and a half or what ever are without question some of the nicest reps out there. Most of them have a movement that they went out of their way to clone the gen and make it look super great. In addition to looking super great they are, by most accounts, stable and reliable.

When there are new guys that have been here for only a few days giving advice to other guys that have also only been here a few days sometimes this advice is bad advice.

In my opinion the Omegas from VSF are worthy of buying & I would not be concerned about the clone movement. If something happens and it stops working I would deal with it at that point.

That is obviously just one guys opinion, but it is my 2¢

nole4ever

6/1/14
United States
I agree. It's a replica. If you want a reliable watch, buy an authentic lower end watch for $400 that has a warranty and quality control.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Shogo

27/4/19

Wow, there are actually people here who use their brains. +1

Matty369

Supporter
Certified
24/8/16
EU

Then all of you "brainiacs" should only buy reps with Miyota 8215 inside because they are dirt cheap, super-easy to maintain and kinda look like gen.
Luckily, there aren't much people "with brains" like you. If it were, most of the reps would still be quartz powered, like 15 years ago.

-prick

15/1/17
I get what you are saying and it's not like it doesn't have any merit. At the same time the Omegas that VSF have been making over the last year or year and a half or what ever are without question some of the nicest reps out there. Most of them have a movement that they went out of their way to clone the gen and make it look super great. In addition to looking super great they are, by most accounts, stable and reliable.

When there are new guys that have been here for only a few days giving advice to other guys that have also only been here a few days sometimes this advice is bad advice.

In my opinion the Omegas from VSF are worthy of buying & I would not be concerned about the clone movement. If something happens and it stops working I would deal with it at that point.

That is obviously just one guys opinion, but it is my 2¢

i absolutely respect your opinion and i too think vsf is selling beautiful watches
only time will tell how and if it gets easier maintaining their clone movements
its good there are enough people that are able to always try and test new things

thanks buddy ;)

Then all of you "brainiacs" should only buy reps with Miyota 8215 inside because they are dirt cheap, super-easy to maintain and kinda look like gen.
Luckily, there aren't much people "with brains" like you. If it were, most of the reps would still be quartz powered, like 15 years ago.

what a stupid response
luckily everyone can make their own decisions..
but whatever

Matty369

Supporter
Certified
24/8/16
EU
what a stupid response
luckily everyone can make their own decisions..
but whatever

My words were directed toward Shogo (hence you didn't get quoted), but if you recognized yourself there, not my fault.
Response is in the same manner as your initial statement. You say that you're buying 400$ rep because you cannot afford 7000$ gen. I get that. I also understand that you are unwilling to pay 150$ for new movement in case first one fails.
But that doesn't make VSF reps low quality or less desirable to buy, like Shogo dude is dragging all over Omega threads and what you insinuated along. Why we have such high number of QC issues or failed movements in recent Omega threads regarding VSF reps ? Simple: They are hot stuff now and they are selling like candies, most likely more than all other factories combined x 4. Therefore we are seeing more complaints than on other factories at the moment. Simple mathematics and statistics.
If you browse old threads you'll see people complaining about clone ETAs too.
And my statement holds - if we don't buy new reps with new movements and stick with old, tested, but with visual flaws - then how will rep scene evolve ?
It's your choice to skip VSF, nobody is denying that. But just because you cannot afford new movement doesn't mean that VSF should stop developing new iterations.

Last edited:
Reactions: k4jun

Shogo

27/4/19
My words were directed toward Shogo (hence you didn't get quoted), but if you recognized yourself there, not my fault.
Response is in the same manner as your initial statement. You say that you're buying 400$ rep because you cannot afford 7000$ gen. I get that. I also understand that you are unwilling to pay 150$ for new movement in case first one fails.
But that doesn't make VSF reps low quality or less desirable to buy, like Shogo dude is dragging all over Omega threads and what you insinuated along. Why we have such high number of QC issues or failed movements in recent Omega threads regarding VSF reps ? Simple: They are hot stuff now and they are selling like candies, most likely more than all other factories combined x 4. Therefore we are seeing more complaints than on other factories at the moment. Simple mathematics and statistics.
If you browse old threads you'll see people complaining about clone ETAs too.
And my statement holds - if we don't buy new reps with new movements and stick with old, tested, but with visual flaws - then how will rep scene evolve ?
It's your choice to skip VSF, nobody is denying that. But just because you cannot afford new movement doesn't mean that VSF should stop developing new iterations.

So you make an assumption about VSFs selling more than other reps and then you say it‘s simple mathematics and statistics without having any numbers or statistics at all? Ok m8

Bugbus

Looking Around
3/2/19
As someone who has had a failure and bought a replacement movement i would do so again as the watch is truly beautiful. As an update, the new movement is running well and worn almost everyday.

And so you know i am unbelievably hard on my watches.

Shogo

27/4/19
As someone who has had a failure and bought a replacement movement i would do so again as the watch is truly beautiful. As an update, the new movement is running well and worn almost everyday.

And so you know i am unbelievably hard on my watches.

Which watch and movement are you talking about?