• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Super Clone Movements (A8500/A8900) - No Way to Service/Repair?

Shogo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/4/19
Greetings,

VSF has released some really nice pieces recently but one thing that concerns me is that everyone says that if the movement dies, one can throw the watch away as there are no spare parts available. I have read through a few threads here and encountered two users who wrote that their VSF 8500s died after a few months.

My question is, is there really no one who can fix these movements if they break? If so, that's a dealbreaker for me. Imagine everyone is admiring your nice watch and one fine day you cannot wear it anymore because it cannot be repaired.

Shogo

27/4/19
You need to read more threads. I don’t believe anyone is suggesting to just throw it away.

Start with this one. https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...view-of-the-vsf-8500-clone-movement-pic-heavy

I have read this thread and here is what OP says about it: "It's a quite time consuming movement to work with and the risk is high due to custom parts that are impossible to source if broken." Furthermore, one or two watch smiths on this forum who might be willed to work on these movements does not sound very hopeful.

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
Same with any clone movement, if the parts aren't available and you're worried, do a good clean and oiling when it lands, and if it breaks look around for a spare movement to cannibalise. As mentioned in the other threads, some of the parts in the clone movement can be directly swapped in with ETA parts too. You'll know this if you read beyond the first post.

Shogo

27/4/19
You say it:“SOME of the parts in the clone movement can be directly swapped...“ Also I‘m not keen on opening the watch myself and oiling it. Guess I‘ll go for something else.

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
You say it:“SOME of the parts in the clone movement can be directly swapped...“ Also I‘m not keen on opening the watch myself and oiling it. Guess I‘ll go for something else.

... with ETA parts, and the ones that can't can be gotten by cannibalising another clone movement. Come on dude, you're dealing with shitty chinese movements. Clone or not these things usually need a service within a few months, and nobody's saying you need to do it yourself. You're not gonna escape this issue by "going for something else", unless you mean going gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dano-D

Shogo

27/4/19
My VSF 8500 movement died. I was able to get a new movement for about $150. My TD also offered to repair the old movement if I sent it back.

Where did you get the new movement from? You think that this is also possible for the A8900?

Last edited:

Shogo

27/4/19
... with ETA parts, and the ones that can't can be gotten by cannibalising another clone movement. Come on dude, you're dealing with shitty chinese movements. Clone or not these things usually need a service within a few months, and nobody's saying you need to do it yourself. You're not gonna escape this issue by "going for something else", unless you mean going gen.

From my understanding, it is exactly as hard to find a watch smith to service the A8900 as finding someone to repair it. Is this wrong? By going for something else I mean that I will have an easier time finding a watch smith who can work on an A2824, for example. Thank you.

Andy737

9/2/19
My VSF 8500 movement died. I was able to get a new movement for about $150. My TD also offered to repair the old movement if I sent it back.

And how long did the mechanism work?

nyriyadh

Known Member
9/4/12
Wow, I was about pull the trigger on The new black ceramic PO with clone 8906 movement.

Now I think i should wait

Can these vsf clones be swapped with any eta ??

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

REPLACED

18/7/18
Wow, I was about pull the trigger on The new black ceramic PO with clone 8906 movement.

Now I think i should wait

Can these vsf clones be swapped with any eta ??

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

wait for what?

nyriyadh

Known Member
9/4/12
what a nice watch
se_planetocean_215.92.46.22.01.001_vuec_large.jpg

Bokthoi

4/9/17
My vsf movement has been running like 'clockwork' since last November, no issues here

Reactions: madbill71

Bioffa

Horology Curious
29/1/19
Fine, but occasionally all movements fail. I'm expecting to have a watch that last years, six months means nothing.

Reactions: Screwtape

Shogo

27/4/19
I agree. People say „it‘s a rep, there is a reason it only costs 1/10th of gen“ but the truth is that even a 10$ Casio watch will run for decades without breaking.

Yona24

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/4/19
So do you guys think its recommended to get this VSF movement fully serviced asap to improve its longevity?