• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

#1 Gen or Rep Game - Planet Ocean 42mm - Can You Tell the Difference?

exelonman

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/10
It's been a long time since I have played this game and wanted see how good the Omega "experts" are?

42mm Planet Ocean, reference 2201.51

Please provide your opinion and why?

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
I love this game...I was going to say rep based on the orange colour but that could be lighting. Triangle and pearl looks good, not sure about date font with only the 16 showing...so no idea!

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK
I’ll go with rep. 6,9,12 markers look off. I’m no omega expert tho.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Gen bezel, crown, helium valve, SEL (I assume the bracelet is the same hybrid as in your last FS so I am not going to comment on it further).
Crystal is super nice, super transparent, I can't tell whether it is gen or Mr.Prof.
Dial is gen, can't tell the hands for 100%, they look gen for me too.
Case has a nice side-profile but it has the omega globe, so it is not V5PO. The cutouts are very gen like, so whether the case is gen or you were lucky to find a LMPO case with a correct side profile.
Caseback. Judging but this one photo it looks somehow flat, rep caseback. It is unlikely to replace a caseback on gen:) so together with 2500C DW and a transparent AR it leads me towards the conclusion this is a Superfranken based on the nice LMPO case.

Last edited:

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
The most important question is - when are you going to have a holidays in Europe so I can buy this stunner without the customs risk? :D

solipsistic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/11
Never owned this model and I am by no means an expert. However:

The crystal is the most obvious defect--it protrudes more than it should. It looks like the cause is a rep bezel (due to the thin-splined bezel teeth), but the insert looks good.

SEL gaps are rough but the clasp at least is gen based on the quality of its stamping

Hands look good, dial looks good.

Crowns are suspicious. Bracelet SEL fit is slightly suspicious.

exelonman

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/10
Can you spill the beans is it rep or gen?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

LMPO V3 case
Gen crystal
Gen bezel assembly and insert
Gen dial
Gen hands
Gen crown
Gen helium release valve
Gen date wheel
H3 mod on movement for gen like hand spacing
Gen end links
Gen clasp connecting links
Gen clasp

It is quite interesting to me when I do this and continues to show me how subjective things are. This watch is as close to gen as can be. I owned the gen version the same time as I had this one and you could not tell the difference side by side yet so many people say they see flaws that are not flaws.....

DiveWatchGuy

Horology Curious
5/3/19
Canada
This is an awesome game! Do you do all the work to replace the parts yourself? Did you plan to replace all of these parts as soon as you bought the watch, or is this a project that has evolved over time? And if you don't mind me asking, where does one get gen parts, and what does a project of this magnitude end up costing?

SikRipAndPanic

The answer is yes but what was the question
7/2/17
London / Essex Area
It’s basically gen then, at least visually, so any flaws that are suspected are those that would appear on a gen
Great

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
Then it's neither. Its a Franken. Shouldn't the game be played with a full rep?

necro123

Horology Curious
17/4/22
LMPO V3 case
Gen crystal
Gen bezel assembly and insert
Gen dial
Gen hands
Gen crown
Gen helium release valve
Gen date wheel
H3 mod on movement for gen like hand spacing
Gen end links
Gen clasp connecting links
Gen clasp

It is quite interesting to me when I do this and continues to show me how subjective things are. This watch is as close to gen as can be. I owned the gen version the same time as I had this one and you could not tell the difference side by side yet so many people say they see flaws that are not flaws.....

That's just marvellous!

I know it's been a while but I'm currently working on something similar.

Base:
V6 LMPO

Gen parts:
Dial
Hands
Date wheel
Movement (Cal.1120)
Tube + crown
HEV
Bezel

However, mine isn't assembled yet. I'm still waiting for the HEV to arrive & am figuring out how to deal with the caseback - thinking of getting a jeweler to get rid of the extra texts and keep "Planet Ocean".

Some questions

-Did you get one watchmaker to work on everything or several to work in stages? Or did you assemble it yourself?
-Was it a straight swap for the tube + crown and HEV? if not, then how was it done?
-How about the bezel?
-And finally, how's the water resistance? Did the gen tube + crown & HEV help in anyway? (I hope yes)

Thanks!

Last edited: