• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can Bezels/inserts be changed?

Jim.Kirk

Horology Curious
20/9/18
Of all the flaws in the Speedmaster replicas, the bezel/insert is one of he worst. They’re printed (or something) instead of etched, and you can’t see them. They fade/wear and go to just black.

But it being new to this hobby (I have 3 reps), I don’t know much about the bezels on these Chinese reps. I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks could help:

1. Is the bezel and the insert the same thing?
2. Can the part with the letters/numbers be changed?
3. Can I do it myself? ( I have several watch tools)
4. Is there a source for replacement bezels?
5. Do they have to be authenticated Omega or are there after-market bezels?
6. Are they sold by diameter?

thanks everybody. This is a great group.

Here is mine:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yes the insert can be changed. Clarke Crystals have a replacement bezel and insert listed here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replace...463742&hash=item3648501dc5:g:cOcAAOSwZVlXty0C

Clarke stuff is usually good quality. Changing it is a matter of removing the old one carefully with a single edged razor blade (or a bezel removal tool if you have one) to gently pry it off and pressing the new one on. If it looks too much to do one of the forum watchmakers can do it for you.

Jim.Kirk

Horology Curious
20/9/18
Thank you for the link and the information. I will go down that road...

Oldschool Gwhiz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/18
Nor Cal
trailboss99 i just bought a Speedmaster MoonWatch NASA SS Black Dial Bracelet Manual Winding Chrono Movement From Toro and I know I have to freeze the 6 o’clock hand (not sure how I’m going to do that) but I wanted to check with to ask, do I have to be concerned if I buy a gen bezel insert will it be a perfect fit?

have you seen problems with fitment of speedy inserts gen vs rep? Also, I was wondering if you thought this was a decent speedy rep?

thanks man

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
trailboss99 i just bought a Speedmaster MoonWatch NASA SS Black Dial Bracelet Manual Winding Chrono Movement From Toro and I know I have to freeze the 6 o’clock hand (not sure how I’m going to do that) but I wanted to check with to ask, do I have to be concerned if I buy a gen bezel insert will it be a perfect fit?

have you seen problems with fitment of speedy inserts gen vs rep? Also, I was wondering if you thought this was a decent speedy rep?

thanks man

Why bother with a gen inset? there are so many issues with a Speedy rep its just not worth spending that much folding on a gen insert IMHO.
To answer your question, I have no idea if a gen will fit directly into that particular model.