• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Full review of the VSF 8500 clone movement *Pic Heavy*

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Does anyone know if this guide applies to the VSF 8900 movement as well? From pictures they seem very similar.

Yes it’s the same movement the calibre No engraved on the rotor is just to be model correct. Even the GMT versions are the same only with a few GMT gears added under the dial.

simb

Looking Around
6/9/19
Yes it’s the same movement the calibre No engraved on the rotor is just to be model correct. Even the GMT versions are the same only with a few GMT gears added under the dial.

Thank you, Santre!

I concluded the same, due to the fact that the gen 8900 is a 8500 with an added METAS certification - just wanted to make sure.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Thank you, Santre!

I concluded the same, due to the fact that the gen 8900 is a 8500 with an added METAS certification - just wanted to make sure.

Post no. 4 in this thread I explain that the VSF clone movement are all the same regardless of cal. engraving on rotor. It’s GMT or without GMT hand which leave it to two different VSF movements.

The last part is difference between gen omega movements.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/omega-replicas/7962754-best-aqua-terra-movement

Reactions: sniffti

simb

Looking Around
6/9/19
santre22

Am I correct in that barrel one is not able to be wound, and will just spin when winding barrel two? Or is my watch defect in some way? Both ratchet wheel and barrel gear is turning simultaneously on barrel on; and barrel gear is stationary as it should be, and rachet gear is winding the spring on barrel two.

Thanks

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
santre22

Am I correct in that barrel one is not able to be wound, and will just spin when winding barrel two? Or is my watch defect in some way? Both ratchet wheel and barrel gear is turning simultaneously on barrel on; and barrel gear is stationary as it should be, and rachet gear is winding the spring on barrel two.

Thanks

Yes barrel one turns until barrel two is fully wound before it starts to wind properly. When both is fully wound the crown give little more resistance and the mainspring make a weak slipping noise in the barrel. I guess it take around 40 crown turns to manually get it fully charged. However the autowind is quite effective so I usually give it 5-10 turns if it’s stopped and then set time and use it without problem. The performance and quality of the VSF omegas for 3-400$ is insane good value I bought around 10 pcs to my collection and plan to buy a few more.

Reactions: Mille M

ScuffMcgruff

Looking Around
26/9/19
Thank you for the amazing tear down. I apologize if this question has already been asked but I just finished reading the other 65 page thread ( I read this one the other day ) and honestly can't remember seeing it asked. I was wondering if it was possible to replace this movement with a different one if it fails and cannot be fixed. If so, what movements would fit? Do you need to have a certain movement based on the crown and stem length?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonzalo0104

ScuffMcgruff

Looking Around
26/9/19
And I just realized I accidentally posted the same thing twice because I thought my original question was deleted. Stupid jelly brain.

LPGT56

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/19
Thank you santre22 for a fantastic, and fascinating, write-up. I just purchased my 1st rep, and it has the 8500; I will send it in for service, even though the QC pics show the movement working fine (-1/sec/day, 265 degree amp., 0.9 ms beat error) from the factory. Thanks also for recommending good watchsmiths - I'm new here. :)

madbill71

12/9/18
USA
[SUP]This is an amazing thread and thanks santre22 for all the work put into it. I have to admit it now makes me scared to carry on using my VSF Planet Ocean with a clone 8500 movement. I bought it 13 months ago and have worn it pretty much every day since and it hasn't skipped a beat … does this now mean that various parts inside it may be worn due to insufficient lubrication?[/SUP]

Last edited:

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
It’s usually a good thing to service the watch when received as replicas mostly have poor lubrications. However if you not plan to keep the watch it’s quite a investment to pay around 150€ for a complete service or even more if you upgrade it with some Swiss eta gears. I have about 10 VSF with the clone movement at the moment and I didn’t service all of them just the ones I frequently use. The others just waiting for service when I have time and motivation to do it.

Reactions: madbill71

madbill71

12/9/18
USA
Thanks @santre22, what's the usual lifespan of a watch (VSF 8500) unserviced? Am I lucky mine has run more or less non-stop for 13 months or is that usual? For the first time in months I didn't wear it today, I thought I'd give it a rest until I can find someone to service it …. that said, it has a reserve of about 55 - 60 hours so hasn't stopped yet,

Last edited:

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
It’s impossible to say, I have a 21j Rolex sub that was bought in 2006 that’s still runs without any service, and I’ve had a genuine Oris Aquis that stoped after 8 months and was sent to warranty because gears was worn out as a result of bad lubrications.
my recommendation is to have it serviced then you don’t have to worry for a few years if taking good care of it.

Last edited:

wrightp748

Horology Curious
26/4/19
Very informative thread and excellent pictorial of the movement being disassembled and serviced, should be sticky

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
IMG_1769d7842d408ef64289.jpg

IMG_20653c7abe6fcf355b91.jpg

Serviced by ado213 6 months ago and it starts if you just pick it up

Reactions: k4jun

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Mine, 8 months old, runs really good (1 to +2s/day) and wasn't been serviced.
I've just opened it up to clean the hands and regulated the spring ever so slightly, because it was doing close to 8s/day (which is not bad).

It is a great watch with a great clone movement.

Cheers

[email protected]

Horology Curious
29/11/19
Is there anyone in the CONUS that provides this sort of service that can be recommended? I have a 8900 on the way and would like to have it cleaned up. Its already showing a pretty low amplitude (255) and over 10/s + a day.. Im assuming it can use some lov .

Migueldef1

31/1/17
This is an amazing topic. Congrats for that santre22.

Do you do this services for outside? Or it's just for you?

Regards,

jmk81

4/2/20
EU
santre22 Do you think it is possible to do this without any previous experience in servicing watches, just using your detailed instruction? Or will it end up with a spectacular failure and the need to buy a new watch?

Reactions: leo6929