• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Full review of the VSF 8500 clone movement *Pic Heavy*

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Amazing time and effort.

My question is if I had a service like this and wore it every day how often would it need servicing?

J

It's hard to tell because it's a new and quite untested movement, at least over long time. But the oils are usually good for 3-5 years, depending on climate (hot temperatures decreases lifetime for the oils).

The weakest point is the Asian reversing wheels in the automatic winding. On the next 8500 clone I service, I will check the compatibility with Swiss ETA 2824-2 reversing wheels as they look very similar.

Reactions: Thrasher

recoil

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/12/18
Thank You. I ordered the watch and Sead will send it straight to Adrian to do the same service you did. Adrian is very well trained but I sent him a copy of your POST as the details are excellent.

Are you in the U.S.? If you are would you mind sharing who is Adrian? Thanks!

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Are you in the U.S.? If you are would you mind sharing who is Adrian? Thanks!

Adrian is ado213 he just got back from vacation so he will get to PMs in order received, He is in UK. I'm in USA but know how to ship to Adrian without problems, Stateside I recommend Strodda and misiekped and occb2 but I only know of one person who has done this and its the OP of this thread.

Reactions: vcappp

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Santre, my friend. You are amazing, as always. If you ever open up shop, I’ll be your customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recoil

6/12/18
santre22 , I been gearing up to attempt this in my rep however I do have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind :)
I priced the oils/grease and when put all together it is getting a bit pricy granted it is a lot of oil that could be used in other projects but with that said the oils last around 3 years if I understand correctly, I do not think in my case as a hobbyist I will get to use the oil efficiently, you listed all the oils need it as a pro watchsmith however is there a compromise on reducing the number of oils used to save money or am I proposing a big mistake? When I say reduce the number of oils I mean using one type of oil to cover 2 separate types of oil.
Also this write up is for a VSF 8500 clone, would this apply to a VSF 8400 clone or would it be different? I am going to guess is the same they just decorated it according to the watch.
Anyhow big thanks for this tutorial you open the door for everyone to keep their watches ticking :) Also looking forward to hear if the Swiss ETA 2824-2 reversing wheels are compatible with this watch. Once more thank you!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
recoil

Yes that's true that the oils is a bit pricey if buying them all together.
However the shelf life is a bit longer for most of them around 5 years and it's calculated like this: if using a 5 year old oil it should still last another 3 years applied in a movement before the properties are outside the tolerances.

Also I would say that the smallest available size of each bottle will still be enough to service approximately 5000 or more movements. My last batch of oils that expired in 17/18, around 2/3 of the oils went down in the chemical waste recycling bin.

Also I would not recommend it but the HP1300 oil can be used instead of the blue grease on most friction parts from keyless to other parts where the force is a bit higher. The grease is much more easy to work with and apply the oil tend to run away and go where it shouldn't if not oiling very precise on the right spot with the right amount. It's like using Epilame on escapement wheel and the Pallet fork and let them run 30-60 min dry before oiling the escapement it's much easier and the result is 10 times better than without epilame. This is of course from my professional view.

Last all the clones from VSF both the Gmt and those without Gmt is the same regardless of which caliber no on the rotor. The Gmt just have a extra gear under the dial.

i still have to check the reversing wheels. Have been busy with non watch related stuff lately. However I will soon have another VSF clone for service then I will check, probably early-middle of April.

cheers
santre

Last edited:

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Finally Sead got me a nice one which is being shipped direct to ado213 Adrian for a santre22 rebuild. Adrian has made many custom watches for me over the years so no doubt it will turn out awesome. see this thread for his awesome BPSD work. https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/181322-bp-sd-with-generic-xtal Sead is also shipping him a Speedmaster TIN TIN with Lemania movment so he can freeze the bottom subdial at 12 so it dosent track the hours which is not genuine at all.

Reactions: vcappp

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach

georgegmt

23/8/17
Hello guys! I love my crpo so much and I would like them to work for a long time. Now everything is fine, very quiet mechanism, visually everything is clean, power reserve is okay. Do I need to do such a service, or leave until something breaks?

psantos1091

22/8/13
recoil

Yes that's true that the oils is a bit pricey if buying them all together.
However the shelf life is a bit longer for most of them around 5 years and it's calculated like this: if using a 5 year old oil it should still last another 3 years applied in a movement before the properties are outside the tolerances.

Also I would say that the smallest available size of each bottle will still be enough to service approximately 5000 or more movements. My last batch of oils that expired in 17/18, around 2/3 of the oils went down in the chemical waste recycling bin.

Also I would not recommend it but the HP1300 oil can be used instead of the blue grease on most friction parts from keyless to other parts where the force is a bit higher. The grease is much more easy to work with and apply the oil tend to run away and go where it shouldn't if not oiling very precise on the right spot with the right amount. It's like using Epilame on escapement wheel and the Pallet fork and let them run 30-60 min dry before oiling the escapement it's much easier and the result is 10 times better than without epilame. This is of course from my professional view.

Last all the clones from VSF both the Gmt and those without Gmt is the same regardless of which caliber no on the rotor. The Gmt just have a extra gear under the dial.

i still have to check the reversing wheels. Have been busy with non watch related stuff lately. However I will soon have another VSF clone for service then I will check, probably early-middle of April.

cheers
santre
I think you'd be the best person to ask this so... Is it possible to just use the beat rate lever to adjust/regulate the movement?

I just got my clone in and it's slow about 3 minutes a day.. I successfully regulated a seiko sarb & eta movements that way. But those have plus and minus symbols and I could move it in either direction after I pulled the crown out. With this one, idk which way is faster or slower.

Also, is the small lever the beat error lever and the bigger one for the beat rate? Do you remember what direction was fast? ...or should I just let it sit until I find a watchmaker to service it like you did to yours?
Thanks

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
VygSw0.png

​Using santre22 image.

You want to touch only the one in red (especially of you don't know what to do with the other one).
Away from the other one and you make your watch run faster.

But 3min/day is a lot.
Isn't it magnetized?
Mine was about 15s/day slow.

Cheers

Reactions: Andy737 and vcappp

DrBJSteiner

Horology Curious
28/2/19
Fantastic writeup and illustrations! Caused great respect and awe at the work you did. One question...any trick to glueing the washer back in place?