• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New seamaster 300m mks v3

chentepilot

Known Member
7/11/18
The pearl is definitely closer, and looking deep into the pictures the engravings seem to be more filled. Not yet 1:1 but a lot closer.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
no, they are not. it's printed on the gen.

Not quite. They're filled into the ceramic laser-etched 'beds', then finished with a thin layer of ceramic over the top.
My colleague at work has this very model as gen.
If you drag tip of your fingers over the bezel surface you won't feel much, it's smooth. However when you use your nail you feel the slightly lower numerals and markers. The sensation is similar to touching the laser etched bezel.
This V3 rep bezel isn't too far off. Whoever is keen on this model should get it now (I did and could compare the bezel with the gen), I doubt any maker will re-do this in V4, it's a 2012 model...they're now focusing on the new 2018 models.

Reactions: vcappp

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
k4jun your opinion?

Like it.
The case is still the same it was in V1/V2, meaninig it is a super correct case for SMP, not quite correct for SMPc, but still the best CrSMP case we've ever seen.
Not sure why Ryan mentioned upgrates in a dial, bezel and the bracelet.
Clasp code is correct (always was in MKF) but the logo is still off. Bezel is bit too tall as it was. Hour markers surrundings are bit too thin as it was. Crystal seems be the same as it has too strong blue AR.

I like what they did with this pearl and with the bezel fillings. This v3 insert is the closest to gen we've seen so far. We need more photos in the different lighting conditions (fillings may be too white), but in overall - kudos to MKS/MKF for this insert.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Self-quote from USDPlating thread - this should give you guys the good overview of the gen bezel.

Mate, it would be great if you succeed in developing a mod for Omega SMPc. The whole community is waiting for such mod.
Here is some info to help

Omega never used the so-called Liquidmetal in the ceramic 300m model (SMPc). Liquidmetal is an alloy - zirconium, titanium, copper, nickel and beryllium, but 300m is the entry-level model for Omega and they probably will never use it. Let's forget about the Liquidmetal.
SMPc insert looks very metal-like, however, it is not metal.
Gen insert does use a compound - chromium nitride for filling of the engravings, I do not know whether the compound is applied via PVD or via multi-layer painting, I guess you know the techniques much better than me anyway.

Here is the rep on gen, so you can feel the colour. For me, the gen filling has a titanium/silver colour.
lJZby.jpg

lJ6jG.jpg

lJyl0.jpg

Gen shines when zoomed-out
lJ2vK.jpg

and when you zoon-in - a structure on the markers is visible.
lJklL.jpg

You can also see that gen edges are not sharp, they are slightly bevelled, like rollie
lJ0Ao.jpg

lJRMI.jpg

also, the markings should not flush with the insert. The filling is slightly below the level of a ceramic.
lJCjr.jpg

lJJbF.jpg

To sum up,

Rep insert markers:
- white paint (or silver paint in MKF V2/V3 - it does not matter as it is still rubbish),
- deep engravings just painted inside,
- sharp edges,

Gen insert markers:
- silver/titanium colour,
- filling (chromium nitride) almost to the top of the engraving,
- bevelled edges,

lIBfa.jpg

lIr5g.jpg

This insert is more complex than rollie, but should be doable.
What do you think?

frediiii

3/7/15
Not quite. They're filled into the ceramic laser-etched 'beds', then finished with a thin layer of ceramic over the top.
Thanks. Now I feel the strong urge to take a grinder to my perfectly fine gen bezel... I own the gen for 3 years now and I never doubted that the numerals are simply printed on. Now I do.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
Not sure why Ryan mentioned upgrates in a dial, bezel and the bracelet.

Yeah, I asked him the same question before I got my V3 few weeks ago. He said this is what factory told him. They told him dial, bezel and bracelet all received minor updates. I am yet to see what exactly was done to the dial itself. Bracelet is very good on this one, indeed.

Few things the maker came across strongly was the bezel, the 'new' updated blue ceramic color that now "matches the blue of the gen bezel" and the titanium-color bezel marker/numeral filling which used to be a lot lighter silvery shade. I don't have V1/V2 in hand to compare but my coworker has a gen and the bezel color is almost identical match. So I believe them to be correct in their assertions.

Other bits have been discussed to ad nausea here already so I won't go too deep into it - the bezel 'engraving' many still call it, is really just a laser etching, very fine, shallow and you don't see it in real life unless magnified and in photos. All in all I'm very happy with it, yes you still feel it under a nail but it's very well done.
Regarding other updates, there's now a slightly larger 'dark' ring around the updated bezel lume market at 12 o'clock, but that's again something you need a magnifier to see, or in enlarged photos.

Reactions: vcappp

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Yeah, I asked him the same question before I got my V3 few weeks ago. He said this is what factory told him. They told him dial, bezel and bracelet all received minor updates. I am yet to see what exactly was done to the dial itself. Bracelet is very good on this one, indeed.

Few things the maker came across strongly was the bezel, the 'new' updated blue ceramic color that now "matches the blue of the gen bezel" and the titanium-color bezel marker/numeral filling which used to be a lot lighter silvery shade. I don't have V1/V2 in hand to compare but my coworker has a gen and the bezel color is almost identical match. So I believe them to be correct in their assertions.

Other bits have been discussed to ad nausea here already so I won't go too deep into it - the bezel 'engraving' many still call it, is really just a laser etching, very fine, shallow and you don't see it in real life unless magnified and in photos. All in all I'm very happy with it, yes you still feel it under a nail but it's very well done.
Regarding other updates, there's now a slightly larger 'dark' ring around the updated bezel lume market at 12 o'clock, but that's again something you need a magnifier to see, or in enlarged photos.

Hahha, the magic of advertising from the chinese factories;)
Bezel insert imo is the only one thing updated vs MKF, what is good as it was the most wanted.
On the previus page there are my photos - gen vs MKF and then blue colour was indeed off. Possible for you to compare MKS v3 vs gen blue?
Can you try MKS v3 links - are they interchangeable with gen links (MKF wasn't).

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
Hahha, the magic of advertising from the chinese factories;)
Bezel insert imo is the only one thing updated vs MKF, what is good as it was the most wanted.
On the previus page there are my photos - gen vs MKF and then blue colour was indeed off. Possible for you to compare MKS v3 vs gen blue?
Can you try MKS v3 links - are they interchangeable with gen links (MKF wasn't).

Hmm, that could present a bit of a challenge...he doesn't know mine is a rep ;)

He did however handled mine first person, If anything this is a great example of how good this rep is.

HGf-

Horology Curious
22/1/19
I also want to buy this model but I'm debating with myself weather I should go for it or maybe for the 2018 version. The question is if it's better to wait to newer version of the 2018 model or go for the V3 of the older one? I can't decide.. :/

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
I also want to buy this model but I'm debating with myself weather I should go for it or maybe for the 2018 version. The question is if it's better to wait to newer version of the 2018 model or go for the V3 of the older one? I can't decide.. :/

You have over a month to decide, no rush ;)

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
I was about to open a new thread as this one belongs to the V3, but puretime released a V4 "Added on: 24 Jan. 2019" and maybe is better this way, please let me know if i'm right.
link: https://puretime.io/seamaster-300m-...bezel-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2824-v4.html
Has anyone had the opportunity to see it or compare it? i prefer this over the "waves in dial" model, but i understand older version weren't that accurate, maybe this could be the one.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
I was about to open a new thread as this one belongs to the V3, but puretime released a V4 "Added on: 24 Jan. 2019" and maybe is better this way, please let me know if i'm right.
link: https://puretime.io/seamaster-300m-...bezel-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2824-v4.html
Has anyone had the opportunity to see it or compare it? i prefer this over the "waves in dial" model, but i understand older version weren't that accurate, maybe this could be the one.

It's V3, don't believe this "V4" hype some dealers are creating around this particular model.
V1 and V2 had an issue with deeply engraved bezel markers, visible even at the normal eye distance. V3/V4 have 'fixed' this in a way the markers are now laser etched not engraved, much more shallow almost flush with the ceramic surface and much more gen like (subdued platinum gray) in appearance. They are so good now that I compared my rep with my colleague's gen and he couldn't tell the diff, he still believes I bought a gen.

When you draw tip of your finger over the V3/V4 bezel you cannot feel the laser cutouts, when you draw a nail you can but jut a little, gen has very similar effect.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.